Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tip the sound guy?

Ross Brown

Let's say you are playing a gig that has nice house sound and a decent sound guy. You play for the door but expect to bring in $400-$500 for the band.

Do you tip the sound guy?

How much?

When do you tip him? Seems to me, it would be good idea to tip before the gig...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume this is primarily a hypothetical question, right? Like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Personally, I would never tip anyone BEFORE anything. That's one heartbeat away from asking to be blackmailed.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

We never have, but I could see the benefit if the guy remembers you and tries extra hard the next time - but then you set a precedent. For the money you're talking, I wouldn't be tipping anybody. Now if in addition to the door, you put out a tip jar and get a good collection, I might split that with him.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I assume this is primarily a hypothetical question, right? Like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Personally, I would never tip anyone BEFORE anything. That's one heartbeat away from asking to be blackmailed.

Let's say you are playing a gig that has nice house sound and a decent sound guy. You play for the door but expect to bring in $300-400 for the band.

Now it is not hypothetical.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Let's say you are playing a gig that has nice house sound and a decent sound guy. You play for the door but expect to bring in $300-400 for the band.

This "nice house sound" and "decent sound guy" you speak of -- your words are strange to me. You must be from far, far away.

Okay, enough slagging sound guys in general.

To be honest, I've never heard of the notion of tipping the sound guy in any scenario. Is this a common practice among folks who gig regularly in venues that provide sound? (Most of the stuff I do, we provide our own sound).

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

We reward the good sound guys by hiring them when we need sound, since usually the house guys are contracted from a production company. We've never tipped, and most gigs have house sound.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I would, after the gig. It's a tip--your not giving him an equal cut of the band's take. What are we talking--$25? It's a nice gesture, especially if he does a good job and you might play there again.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Was it house PA and house sound? Was it one of those "multiple band extravaganzas" with a contract sound guy and contract PA? Did you play a duo for an hour for $300-400, or was it four sets with a five piece for $300-400?

Typically, $300 to $400 is an average night for Jurassic Rock. I schlep and run the live sound. I don't get tips, but I do get bitched at a lot.

Probably not. If he's working for the venue, the venue should pay him. If soundguy is all that and a bag of chips and the live sound belongs to him, get his card.

I wouldn't insult the soundguy with having to put up with our featured talent for an entire night and give him a slap on the back and $25.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Most sound guys around here are getting $100-150 a night to run sound on a house system ($350-$500 if they bring their own). From what you're saying you expect to make, he's making more that you, assuming you're a 4 or 5 piece. We get $2500 a night with house sound provided and don't tip, and they do a great job, and we have great relationships with them.I wouldn't worry about tipping. In lieu of a tip, do whatever he asks and make his life as easy as possible.

Dan

Let's say you are playing a gig that has nice house sound and a decent sound guy. You play for the door but expect to bring in $400-$500 for the band.

Do you tip the sound guy?

How much?

When do you tip him? Seems to me, it would be good idea to tip before the gig...

At the end of a gig and the sound was good I'd tell him and maybe buy him a drink but tip? Not if he's getting paid by the house (and probably paid better than we are). Normally though we supply our own sound system.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Thanks for the advice everyone. This was just something I had not given much thought. I ended up just doing what he asked of me. Set my volume. Did sound check (8 seconds worth). Checked vocal mic and played. Said thank you and shook his hand and said he did nice job. Went home.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This was just something I had not given much thought. I ended up just doing what he asked of me. Set my volume. Did sound check (8 seconds worth). Checked vocal mic and played. Said thank you and shook his hand and said he did nice job. Went home.

8 SECONDS!!!!!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Thanks for the advice everyone. This was just something I had not given much thought. I ended up just doing what he asked of me. Set my volume. Did sound check (8 seconds worth). .....

8 SECONDS!!!!!

I tell my students who are getting ready to record for the first time or play a show with a sound system that they will be asked to arrive at a certain time and then the first hour (at least) will be spent getting a drum sound. When it is the bassist's turn, the engineer will have you play about ten notes and then will say, "got it". All they really care about is setting a level. "Your sound" is rarely taken into consideration.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This was just something I had not given much thought. I ended up just doing what he asked of me. Set my volume. Did sound check (8 seconds worth). .....

8 SECONDS!!!!!

I tell my students who are getting ready to record for the first time or play a show with a sound system that they will be asked to arrive at a certain time and then the first hour (at least) will be spent getting a drum sound. When it is the bassist's turn, the engineer will have you play about ten notes and then will say, "got it". All they really care about is setting a level. "Your sound" is rarely taken into consideration.

No one wants to hear a bass solo. Not even the soundman. 8 seconds is a hell of a long time. What on earth did you play for that long.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

That's got to be the best part of being a bass player: "These are the notes I will be playing tonight. They may be in a different order but they'll still sound the same. Where's the bar?"

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

4 notes walking up each string... then he comes across the PA saying "got it'.... ok with me.

Yep. In the beginning I was worried about what to play during sound check. Now I just play an arpeggio from the low B to the high G string, nod and put away my bass until it's time to play.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I see guys do all kinds of nonsense that is cool but never shows up in the show. I guess it the only chance to show off.

Yeah, a friendly greeting and whatever needs to be done to get a great FOH sound are my 'tips'.

Sound guys walk out with a nice padding in their pockets after a gig in my areas.

One more note, TIPS is an acronym in the service industry...

T- To

I- Insure

P- Prompt

S- Service

Musicians might look at it as...

To

Insure

Professional

Sound

The whole honey and vinegar thing comes to mind BUT you also

need a guitar player that listens too! :crazy:

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

There's a local sound guy, who the first time I played at the club where he does sound, never had me do a sound check at all. He had me dialed in 3 seconds into the first song. I had several former band mates comment that they could hear every note I played. I have never questioned him ever about what he wanted me to do. He rocks and he gets paid very well.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Archived