Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don't Buy a Hofner!

plangentmusic

Well, not an expensive one anyway. The "Icon" series is pretty much the same exact bass as what they're saying is their"high end " bass and for less than half the price. The main difference is a few of the cosmetics. For example, the pickguard and pegs looks a little cheap -- so I "antiqued" them. Looks great. And there's something to the Hofner sound. And if theres any doubt the Icon captures the McCartney sound, I think this demonstrates its characteristics pretty well. (Not to mention, it's such a cool part). Go to the second track.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've played around with the CT version of the Beatle bass. I actually like that one a bit better. It feels a bit more sturdy for starters. The pickups are made in Germany as opposed to China (like the Icon). And it's got a center block that's solid, so it's a little less prone to neck diving. I've seen those go for around $600, and I think I'd probably dig one in a big way with some Pyramind Gold flats!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I've played around with the CT version of the Beatle bass. I actually like that one a bit better. It feels a bit more sturdy for starters. The pickups are made in Germany as opposed to China (like the Icon). And it's got a center block that's solid, so it's a little less prone to neck diving. I've seen those go for around $600, and I think I'd probably dig one in a big way with some Pyramind Gold flats!

Neck dive? The thing weighs as much as a Wiffle Ball bat! lol

And yeah, gotta go with flats on the Hof.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

Any bass can be prone to neck dive if you are sitting down and play it without a strap. No neck dive is actually one advantage of a bass with no headstock and the tuners at the body end.

True that Jeremy, my Kubicki is the best balanced bass I've owned. The bass that was the worst was a P Bass where the body was cut into a teardrop shape. If I would have been smarter back then I would have kept that neck.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Any bass can be prone to neck dive if you are sitting down and play it without a strap. No neck dive is actually one advantage of a bass with no headstock and the tuners at the body end.

A Status bass maybe because it had a "standard" kind of body, but a Steinberger still had some dive hence that contraption on the back that simulated a horn where the strap attached.

Anyway. I've read somewhere a while back that some of those budget concious Hofner basses had a couple quality issues

although at the moment I can't recall what they were.

Still I guess if you require that sound there's really no other way to go but Hofner or a similar kind of bass with some flats.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Value Police would be a great band name ...

oh, wait ...

Don't bother. I've already been there and done that!

Dang it!!!!! That was the first thing I thought of when I read Robb's post. And I come up with so few band names, too....

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

I agree with them.

I think the Icon is a decent enough bass. But the $2000 Hofner looks better and classier. That's enough of a difference for some. Personally though, I'd rather have my late 60's Realistic violin bass. That's one bass that's full of awesome.

Same old argument,boutique/high end production versus price point/mass market.

High end always wins, with the exception of the Matsumoku factory made Aria Pro II, Vantage and Westone lines from 1979-1986. The instruments coming out of this factory at the time were HIGH END in every respect, but came to the US at cheapo prices in order to dispell the notion that Made in Japan meant crap (which it did from the end of WWII until the early 1970s.)

I am endorsed and represent Brubaker basses. I own both a KXB-5 US made custom bass and two Brutes (imports). The Single Cut Brute has subtle but obvious differences to my US custom, and it comes out in the overall versatility and tone.

Now, I would absolutely tell you that for live gigs and most situations my Brute Series basses are a better cost-benefit ratio then the $4K KXB-5. You get most of the Brubaker trademark at 1/5th the price. And they are killer at that price.

I have owned a real Hofner Beatle bass from the late 60s and there is no comparison. The real thing just sounds and feels better. However, I have borrowed the imports for a couple of Beatles fill in gigs and they performed admirably.

Expensive does not always mean best, but it normally means better.

Either way, I am glad you enjoy your Icon series Hofner. Always great when you find something that doesn't break the bank and works well for you!

Archived