Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording question

stixcom92

I'm a college student and I run a small studio out of my house for local/college bands in the area. I just got asked to record a band with keys, and we were originally planning to use the steinway at the college, but turns out we can't for various reasons. Thus, we're trying the recording with a keyboard. I've got an old PC88 as a controller that I really like the sound of live but not that much on record, and the band's keyboard is a korg sp170, which I don't really dig that much. What's a good software piano that is convincing enough for a record and doesn't sound obviously artificial? I've tried the stock pro tools/logic/reason ones, and they sound too thin to me.

Thanks,

-J

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although it's discontinued, I'm a fan of NI Akoustik Piano. Also, have you checked out the Reason Pianos refill?

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I'm a college student and I run a small studio out of my house for local/college bands in the area. I just got asked to record a band with keys, and we were originally planning to use the steinway at the college, but turns out we can't for various reasons. Thus, we're trying the recording with a keyboard. I've got an old PC88 as a controller that I really like the sound of live but not that much on record, and the band's keyboard is a korg sp170, which I don't really dig that much. What's a good software piano that is convincing enough for a record and doesn't sound obviously artificial? I've tried the stock pro tools/logic/reason ones, and they sound too thin to me.

Thanks,

-J

Are the piano parts exposed? People seem to really like Ivory (I don't own it myself) but I'm not sure something that high-end is necessary if the piano just needs to sit nicely in the mix.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I know you said Pro Tools and Logic and Reason sound thin, but if it's not isolated - with an ensemble - does it blend well? Or do you want your piano sound isolated?

I ask only because sometimes a thinner sound is necessary if it's within a denser mix that has bass, drums, guitar, horns, strings, whatever.

My understanding (and I could be very wrong) is that the Akoustic soundset is now part of Kontakt.

Part of Komplete (7 and 8), or available separately as New York, Upright, Vienna, and Berlin flavors. (Elektrik Piano got folded into the core Kontakt library)

Back in the Akoustik days (Komplete 5 era I think it was?), I didn't care for the sound, but I really enjoy the New York now. I don't know if they tweaked it or my ears changed. Put a bit of compression and EQ on there and you can get something very tasty for recording (better than current Kurz's triple-strike IMO).

Still not a fan of Vienna and Berlin, as I'm playing pop. Also, if you want a brighter sound, NI offers Alicia's Keys (Yamaha).

I find the EastWest Quantum Leap pianos have too much room ambience baked in.

I dug the True Pianos demo I tried, so check that out.

Can't comment on Ivory.

-John

I make software noises.

Pianoteq3 "Play" - reasonably priced, fits well in a mix.

+1

. . and sounds quality and can run on more computers being model based and not sample based (as everyone may know). Ivory II would be a lot more expensive. Pianoteq Play has some nice standalone recording features too.

W.

Pianoteq Play is cheaper (not the full version), but I think their main competition Forefront "Truepianos" sounds much better. Of course, it can also depend on what kind of music your recording. There's a thread around here somewhere where I put in a link to a record I did with Truepiano. It was one of those "Big Country/Pop Ballads", and it worked pretty well. I have been doing more demo sessions lately, and although I own IvoryII and the Fazioli update (as well as several other sample libraries), I find the Truepianos more satisfying.

Archived