Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prophet T8 for sale CL

ArnoldLayne

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/2804886118.html

Can somebody lend me $1600?

Or buy this and be my friend?

Oh hell, just buy it for yourself and let me live thru you vicariously?

I wonder why the owner or "the veteran former SC analog tech" wasn´t able to restore the sounds and it still makes "a bunch of weird wind leave blowing sounds" if there´s a brand new factory sound tape in the house.

A.C.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam, but if it is, it's an unusually detailed one.

Regarding the patches, I didn't read anywhere in the listing that the former SC tech "wasn't able" to restore the factory patches. I interpreted it simply as saying that the cassette of factory patches was included, should the buyer choose to restore them and replace the existing ones.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam...

Actually, that's exactly what it means. To wit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180643854689#ht_500wt_1413

$5500 asking price, located in Kansas City, original auction ended in April of 2011, has the same pictures (but more of them), and the same text (but more of it).

It's a scam.

Scenario: Guy lives in Kansas City, tries selling Prophet, is unsuccessful, moves to Detroit, tries selling it again at a lower price.

Unlikely? Perhaps, but I've certainly seen odder non-scam scenarios. If was indeed a scam, posting sales in two cities almost a year apart seems an oddly narrow net for a scammer to cast. You'd be more likely to see this ad posted on Craigslist in cities all over the country. There's definitely something fishy about the fact that the text is exactly the same and all, but if I were interested in it, I wouldn't dismiss it outright without investigating a little further to see if it checks out. All it takes is one email asking to come check it out before you buy it. If the guy refuses or makes up some excuse as to why that's not possible, then yeah, it's almost definitely scam.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam, but if it is, it's an unusually detailed one.

Regarding the patches, I didn't read anywhere in the listing that the former SC tech "wasn't able" to restore the factory patches. I interpreted it simply as saying that the cassette of factory patches was included, should the buyer choose to restore them and replace the existing ones.

I expect a veteran former SC tech, repairing/restoring a synth, trying to load the factory patches to see if all works as it should.

Not any chip and part in a Prophet T8 is available easily, so it might be, the synth works but isn´t able to hold loaded patches by whatever reason.

The tech must have tried to load the patches checking if the cassette interface works or not and if that worked, the patches must be loaded and stored already.

A.C.

Most likely a scam, although there are people lazy enough to just copy someone else's pictures and words when listing something like this.

If you contact the seller and the response is that they're selling the T-8 because they're working on an oil rig off the coast of Nigeria for a year and can only take Western Union payments through a safe "ebay escrow" account... then I would say that it could indeed very well be a scam.

I should've suspected a scam. Actually, I should have mentioned that I had no connection with the seller lest someone could have been scammed or worse.

Note to self...for future reference.

I think this keyboard would be my ideal analog and I would love to own one. I'll keep dreaming...

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

It just didn't have that sweet Prophet V sound.

That was my impression too when it came out.

I had 2 Prophets in the 80th,- 1st a rev. 2, than a rev. 3.

The rev. 2 sounded best but was unreliable on tour.

I thought about buying the T8 and waited until a friend of mine had one in the house,- and was disappointed.

The action and poly AT was an improvement, but the basic sound wasn´t.

I kept the Prophet 5 rev. 3 ´til early 90th then.

A.C.

If you contact the seller and the response is that they're selling the T-8 because they're working on an oil rig off the coast of Nigeria for a year and can only take Western Union payments through a safe "ebay escrow" account... then I would say that it could indeed very well be a scam.

No way....you think!??? :facepalm::idea:

:D:D:D:D

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Also the keys broke constantly.

Huh? T-8 has the Synclavier action, does it not? Optical sensing and wood keys? What's to break?

From Wikipedia:

The Prophet-T8 (1983) featured an 76-note wooden keyboard (uneven A to C), and implemented a basic MIDI interface. It had an eight-voice structure that was similar to that of the Prophet 5. The weighted, velocity and aftertouch-sensitive keyboard mechanism was so well-liked that New England Digital adopted it for use in their Synclavier workstations. Dave Smith himself keeps and maintains a T8 unit as the main controller keyboard in his home studio.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived