Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: small community

rizzo9247

I was speaking to The Other Half today about music forums, and I was explaining that there are plenty of us folks roaming the interwebs for nuggets of musical knowledge and a place to chat, but the Lowdown has provided a nice environment for a such a small group of posters to comment about music and beyond. While we miss many comments and insights from those that don't frequent here anymore, its still a place I call home!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

While there are a lot of music forum sponsored by corporate entites, this one will actually allow debate and criticism without deleting posts.

The mods are generally fair, if not a little too liberal in some of the content and may let flame wars go a little to long ... but kids will be kids sometimes, I guess. I lot of great members have come and gone, but a lot still remain. Hopefully, some of us will put on the big kid clothes and step in.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

This is a really great forum and has provided me with a great sense of camaraderie with fellow bassists. I really enjoy being a part of it.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I joined here 8 or 9 years ago. By far the nicest and least judgmental (for the most part) forum I've yet to encounter on these interwebs. I've had a lot of laughs and made some good and valued friends from all over the world thanks to the Lowdown.
Push the button Frank.

it's no talkbass...

You say that like it's a bad thing. I stopped posting over there years ago, because it seemed like almost every thread devolved into apes throwing poop at each other.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

The level of conversation here is decidedly more mature than what's over at Talkbass. I still post there, but I do so regarding some things that TB does well. The Lowdown has always been a cooler hang though.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The level of conversation here is decidedly more mature than what's over at Talkbass. I still post there, but I do so regarding some things that TB does well. The Lowdown has always been a cooler hang though.

Can't do without those Thisandthat vs. blargyfarg threads?

Well, for starters I absolutely MUST know what is the best bass for Metal. I cannot go on without that knowledge.

B.C. Rich or Schecter, duh. B.C. Rich because the heavily beveled bodies scream metal. Schecter because any model number with a name like Stilleto, Damien or Omen screams metal.

I don't know how they SOUND necessarily ...

I feel at ohm here because everyone knows watt is going on and posts with precision about their basses and amps. I've made friends here, at least one to five of them. There have been some changes, but everyone seems to be able to improvise when necessary.

Your ninth post is a major addition to the thread, i think that discussion is augmented and noise is dimished by your contribution. Should it create tension it could always be lowered by a minor inversion.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

it's no talkbass...

You say that like it's a bad thing. I stopped posting over there years ago, because it seemed like almost every thread devolved into apes throwing poop at each other.

by no means is it a bad thing! it's just the truth. it's not talkbass. as a moderator, i would like to see a little more discussion. however, if i had to trade that for the immense volume of traffic at talkbass, and the cultural concerns you've mentioned, i'd say no deal. i much prefer this forum to talkbass. i, too, almost never post there.

I've been on this forum for over a year now - hard to believe!

Generally, the breadth of knowledge and level of experience here is well above what I have seen at other forums. Members are quick to offer help and support, and actually have a good sense of humor.

If I have any criticism, it's that I think new members have a difficult time fitting in. This is a relatively small group with well-established members who know a lot about eachother, and newbies may feel out of place. That said, I have often seen many of you go out of your way to welcome new people and encourage them to keep contributing, which is great.

I guess the only other thing that initially surprised me about this forum is how little it centers around the magazine. That's not a criticism, just a comment.

Many thanks to all of you. I am grateful for the assistance I have received here.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

GET OFFA MY LAWN!!

Just kidding :D

I post on many forums but this is still home to me. It is not as active as it used to be which is a bit sad but I figure that it will pick up the pace a bit one of these days.

I do like that it is the most well-mannered bass forum which is a welcome relief when I get tired of wading through the TB swamp.

Cheers!

B

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

If I have any criticism, it's that I think new members have a difficult time fitting in.

I think it is one out of every two, or something close to that. We welcomed Nancy, so that meant that Music Video Guy never really had a chance :grin: One exception was Thanny (if I remember his name correctly), who started out as if he was on Talkbass, got accepted into the group, then disappeared (juvie, I think) and had a "Where's Thanny" thread started about him. He thought he invented the word "w00t", if I recall correctly. In all fairness, I learned it because of him posting about it :freak: I wonder what happened to him, and if he still plays bass. Also wonder about Jess (Overture1928 IIRC) who was a downright nice girl.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

As a relative noob, I don't think it's been hard to "fit in," whatever that means. It's been remarkable to me, at least, that it seems some members of this forum know each other personally and seem to have interactions with each other in real life. I'm also amazed at the level of self-policing that goes on (with the help of the mods, of course). Posters who really don't fit in don't last very long.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Gotta love that lug. ;D

Also sometimes on TB, but have always preferred the hang here.

It's a good group.

Just realized that in 10 days, I will have been a member here 10 years.

Guess you're stuck with me now.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

One of the best things about this forum is that a lot of you have introduced me to a lot of players that I would have never known of via the recommendations and links in your posts.

Even though I've been playing on and off for 30+ years, through this forum I've discovered I really don't know as much about bass as I thought I did. My reality check. I really enjoy finding out new stuff and the occasional valuable nugget of advice from all.

Except for the occasional troll you folks are a pretty swell bunch.

Now get the hell off my lawn!!!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived