Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Linking songs together that don't belong together...

Ross Brown

NYE gig. The band played Red House, left out the last verse and then went into Sky is Crying.... I took their blues card away from them... (as if they had one)...

It was classic..... As I walked off stage my wife looks at me and says "really?...."... :blush: I was just doing my job ... hired to play. I played.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, me too. Not sure what the issue might be. We played NYE and segued from The Stone's "You Can't Always Get What You Want" into Dave Mason's "Feeling Alright." They go together seamlessly.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I guess it all depends on how well you all played the songs and how smooth the transition was. You can pretty much link any song together if you do it correctly.

I was in a band that started with Green Day's Brainstew, then went into Good by Better Than Ezra and finished up with Fortunate Son by CCR.

We did it very well and the crowd loved it.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Once I segued from Achy Breaky Heart into Honky Tonk Women.

Does that count?

Only if you wore the appropriate mullet wig.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

How about if I led the line dancing?

Well.....I personally cannot make a derogatory comment about line dancing because....well...because I used to do a LOT of line dancing back in the day.

Hey don't judge me! I was dating an extremely good looking young lady and it was pretty much a requirement...

/Hangs my head in shame...

Tenstrum

The songs don't go together..... They tell stories, different stories. Not finishing the last verse of Red House is like saying "I don't really listen to the words, this means nothing... "

Also, these are perhaps not NYE gig material...

Maybe it is just me... but I am right.... so there...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Well, so the issue is you left out that last verse, not that one song shouldn't have followed the other. That's a horse of a different color. I can't stand medleys that only feature part of the song in question. I always feel like, if a song's good enough to play, it's good enough to play the whole thing.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Medleys are a tricky thing to get right. A medley, in my book, is three or more tunes shortened and linked together. A segue is where one tune's ending is seamlessly joined to the beginning.

I think we've discussed before that women listen to the words and men listen to the music (and everyone dances to the bass). Did they have a male or female singer?

I think I probably agree, medleys are probably best suited to throw away songs with repeated verses that never go anywhere or say anything.

Seems strange to almost finish a song though. Did the singer or someone not just get lost? Happens quite often.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

The songs don't go together..... They tell stories, different stories.

Isn't the story in both songs "my woman don't love me no more"?

No. In Sky, the dude is upset. In Red House, he is a pig.

Well, so the issue is you left out that last verse, not that one song shouldn't have followed the other. That's a horse of a different color. I can't stand medleys that only feature part of the song in question. I always feel like, if a song's good enough to play, it's good enough to play the whole thing.

Depends on the song.

My band does "All Right Now" - but we segue into a verse of "Keep On Rockin' Me" instead of the "third" verse after the solo, since it's just repeating the second verse anyway. Then we come back to the ARN chorus and finish the song.

I don't see any harm in taking the crowd by surprise. ;)

I wanna go from Yakety Sax to Closer....What can I say, it's a dream of mine.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Segues, like many other artistic endeavors, are judgment calls... what works for one may not work for another.

I don't mind medleys if they are well done, and it flows smoothly. Whether the LYRICS flow or not, well, that may be more important in some situations than in others.

For example, if you're playing in a bar where they're more interested in dancing and drinking and scoring than in the philosophical meaning of the words, it's different than if you're playing for people who buy books of Dylan's lyrics and meditate over their profound meaning......

We play "Waiting For The Bus" by ZZ Top but instead of going into "Jesus Just Left Chicago" we segue into "The Letter" by the Box Tops. It took us half a rehearsal to work out how to do it, but now it works really well and we get a kick out of playing it.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived