Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MP3 Maddness. Upsetness...?

I've never associated MP3's and enlightenment before, but I've agreed to research this for our Budhist temple. They have a setup for recording classes, sermons, whatever. Output from a Mackie mixer goes through a little A/D converter which outputs SPDIF to a Creative Labs Nomad. So they actually record MP3's. Result is lots of MP3's which need to be edited, then organized onto CD's. I am to recommend software and teach someone how to do editing. Average length of the files is 2-4 hours. I use Sonar, Sound Forge, you know and it works, but does anyone know of some software that will work on MP3 files and is dead simple to use? They will usually split a file into pieces, delete things like tea breaks, sound checks, coughing. Then normalize. Then save the edited files and burn them to CD - still as MP3's. Any good advice?
Rubber Lizard Studio

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume you are working on a PC. If that is the case you might want to look at Cakewalk's Pyro 2004. [url=http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Pyro/default.asp]Pyro 2004[/url] About $40 retail and simple as they come. Peace.

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

Sound Forge would seem to be the obvious choice. I would also try to get them to switch over to tracking with Sound Forge (since it's just stereo). It shouldn't be hard to demonstrate the difference bewteen the quality. (Tell them they don't need the nomad. They just need the right cable. Mackie output>1/8" stereo plug) Unless they are limited in storage, which would justify the loss in quality. I don't see needing an mp3 specific editor, though. Sound Forge is more than willing to deal with a multitude of audio formats.

Dear The Stranger, I think you're right. Sound Forge is the simplest, but opening a 3-hour-long MP3 file is a real pain (as it is translated into .wav and then saved as MP3 again when you're done). I need to make a case for skipping the MP3 part, which shouldn't be too hard.
Rubber Lizard Studio

[quote]Originally posted by Mark LaCoste: opening a 3-hour-long MP3 file is a real pain (as it is translated into .wav and then saved as MP3 again when you're done).[/QB][/quote]I was wondering about about that. Hmmmm.... And why can't they just hit stop once and a while? :D

I learned to edit digital audio on Cool Edit, and currently use Cool Edit 2000. A lot of the stuff I have actually edited on it have been sound mods for computer games for moding groups I've been afiliated with. Just for fun, but you do learn A LOT doing that. For example, the last sound mod I did was for lightsaber sounds for Jedi Outcast. These are all MP3's for the most part, and I would spend hours just working on a sound that actually only lasted 1 or 2 seconds. Point is, that I was zooming like crazy all over, cuting this, time stretching that, all kinds of stuff. I cannot imagine an app that is more easy to just open up, isolate a cough or a long pause and delete that section. All of the tools are there, and there is nothing superflous about it. On the level you are talking about using it for -no problem, works great. You may or may not know that Syntrilium -the good people who brought us Cool Edit- have sold it off to Adobe. So naturally, Adobe had to change the name. I don't remember the new name, or what kind of packages they are offering now. What was once called Cool Edit Pro, is more expensive and more than you will probably need. The former Cool Edit 2000 was going for around $60 bucks, and is the one I recommend. Check it out.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived