Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In absence of the instrument

MUSIKRICKARD

I'll travel abroad for two weeks now and that's about how long I've ever been apart from my instrument in my life.

How will this affect my playing? I'm a little anxious.

I guess it'll all come back to me after a while, but the fact that i might have to reacquaint myself with the instrument scares me..

Is anyone familiar with this?

Has being apart from your instrument for a couple of weeks had an impact on your playing for some time?

/A(perhaps over-)anxious person.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was 18 I cut my finger in an electric hedge clipper, and had to go without for a couple months: I went back to school & left my guitar at home. When I got home again and played for the first time, my best friend was there and said I sounded better than ever. I was mad at him at the time! But he was right. I'd spent my time thinking about playing rather than moving my fingers in the same old ruts.

Use your time thinking. It could do you some good!

I'd spent my time thinking about playing rather than moving my fingers in the same old ruts.

This is how I feel about my time away from playing because of the broken hand. Now that I'm playing again I find that I'm eschewing the athletics in favor of simpler, thoughtful lines.

I'll travel abroad for two weeks now and that's about how long I've ever been apart from my instrument in my life.

How will this affect my playing? I'm a little anxious.

I guess it'll all come back to me after a while, but the fact that i might have to reacquaint myself with the instrument scares me..

Is anyone familiar with this?

Has being apart from your instrument for a couple of weeks had an impact on your playing for some time?

/A(perhaps over-)anxious person.

Your being totally paranoid, it wont make any noticeable difference unless your a super high level pro, in which case you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

Enjoy your holiday, don't worry.

If you cant stop worrying try getting very drunk.

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Come on guys, don't be so rude with this lad. Rickard, after you haven't played for a couple of weeks, just start playing again with a certain graduality, maybe doing just slow technique on the first session, then re-introducing all other elements little by little. In other words, don't restart by playing heavy stuff for hours. In three days at the most, your chops should be back to where you left.

It is also said among pianists that not playing for about a week can be beneficial sometimes.... *if* of course, one uses to study with regularity before the break! :)

When I was 18 I went for a 13-week vacation to Parris Island, SC. Frolicked in the sand and played with things that went *bang*.

When I got home I sat down and played for quite a while, as I recall. Took a little to get back fully into the swing of things, but the rust comes right off.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived