Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thundercat - The Golden Age if The Apocalypse

Phil W

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you haven't heard him he's Stephen Bruner who has played with Snoop Dogg, Suicidal Tendencies, Flying Lotus, Miguel Atwood Ferguson etc mainly on the LA scene. On this live performance he uses a second bassist. On the CD he sings and plays lead, chordal and bass bass.

The grooves are magical and hint at a range of soul, jazz, 80s electro and 70s influences. You can hear a touch of Stanley in his sound but he has his own style. Great advanced harmonies on the reoord and memorable tunes.

Hadrien Feraud also plays on one track.

Thundercat?

I think I'll call myself Breezepossum.

Don't know what you had before, but Breezepossum is just awesome.

I think I'll go with something different, like Tidalsloth or Climatologicalturtle or Snowmonkey or something.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I agree

I glanced at the forum topics this morning and thought, "Wow this new member Lightningduck is really posting a lot! Good for somebody new to get so involved." Then I read this thread and just about died laughing.

Here's your new profile pic:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/317362_2197108649455_1299394565_31881218_1898516981_n.jpg

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Its not real till you change your user name!!

word

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Thanks 'Breezepossum', each to his own. I guess it just resonates a lot with me - a lot of what I enjoy listening to (70s fusion, instrumental hip-hop or electronic stuff, soul and funk) is reflected in his music.

Russell, did you get to hear it yet?

Man, I never even saw the Thundercat cartoons - I'm too old! Or was it Thundercat that He-man rode on? I remember that (though i wasn't a kid even when that was on) - I remember She Ra had the way better theme song!

Yes - I listened through everything here and then ran through the Thundercat playlist on YouTube.

To be honest I'm on the fence. I enjoyed some of it very much, and the other stuff that was more like Flying Lotus didn't grab me at all. I will probably pick up the CD anyway, because that's just the type of guy I am. :crazy:

Also, there's something different about listening to stuff in the car or at home rather than on the computer at work, and things usually grow on me a lot more after repeating listenings. Another topic...

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

I'd change my username if I could figure out how!

My Stuff -> profile -> display name

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Yes - I listened through everything here and then ran through the Thundercat playlist on YouTube.

To be honest I'm on the fence. I enjoyed some of it very much, and the other stuff that was more like Flying Lotus didn't grab me at all. I will probably pick up the CD anyway, because that's just the type of guy I am. :crazy:

Also, there's something different about listening to stuff in the car or at home rather than on the computer at work, and things usually grow on me a lot more after repeating listenings. Another topic...

Yes, some sounds very like the Flying Lotus album he played on. The first time I listened was on spotify at work and I was not blown away at all. Later when I listened to the download on headphones it blew me away so I think you have something there. The last album I wasn't sure of on first listening but later adored btw was d'angelo's Voodoo (on an ancient hifi on low volume so there you go.

I like listening to Voodoo as well and think the bass playing is groundbreaking.

But there aren't really any songs on it, just kind of rambling jams (which sound as if everyone is stoned out of their gourd) and if D'Angelo is a good singer, you wouldn't know it by this recording.

back to the extraneous thread which really isn't about Thundercat at all. Yes, he can play, no question about it. I'm waiting for some coherent compositions.

Archived