Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Revenge of hardware

Leh173

Last night I rehearsed with my Fantom G6 with the band for the first time, which replaces my Mainstage based/MIDI controller rig, and what a breath of fresh air! The Fantom sounded great, performed well, the keyboard feel was in another class altogether, no latency, it was so much more a musical experience. Setup took about a minute.

I was of the view hardware boards were a thing of past, but after going 100% software and back again, I'd say there's still a bit place for hardware synths/keyboards in our rigs! The software approach was cutting edge but waaaay too fiddly, and I'm used to that type of technology. The demise of the hardware synth has been greatly exaggerated... It's good to be back on something REAL!

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy Leh,

I'm glad you're enjoying your Fantom:thu:, as I love hardware synths and just picked up a mint one owner Yamaha SY-99 from a Pastor and I am in :love: with this hybrid legend.

My nephew's having fun playing the K5000s and he's in another world with it :D. IMO hardware isn't dead yet and there are many synth owners out there who love their gear. Heck, I still love my unreliable D-70 :mad::freak: .

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

Yeah ChrisE I've really converted back to hardware in the last 12 months! Using it all again and getting good results. I've actually just had my D-70 serviced and should be picking it up soon. Needed a new backlight, a few keystrips and buttons replaced. Will be good to get it back. I'm going to re-program some of it's sounds into into the Fantom! Already did the PPPVox patch from memory and it came up well. Be nice when I have the side by side to translate the parameters (by hand of course). The Fantom G is good machine!
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Hardware synths are still the most practical keyboards for gigging. After all, a MIDI controller and a PC are both hardware, just separated and requiring cabling, interface, and other headaches. Why not have BOTH in one unit for easy carting and setup?

Wow what a concept.... somebody should combine the keyboard with the sonic hardware into one unit.... oh, what, that was already done before software synths were a reality. :facepalm:

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I think we're getting a little sucked in by the "newness" and sonic breadth of software solutions. I know what hardware is and have always owned and gigged hardware synths, but it's only in the last few years have solutions like the Fantom, Motif, Kronos etc have hit a point where they are so advanced they can cover everything and do it well. But right now everything seems to be thinking like I was that hardware was over. I don't think that's the case, in fact, with the last few years with the fantom G, motif xf, Kronos, Jupiter-80 etc, I'd say it's getting even more powerful than ever. We've got it good these days.

Edit: Obviously meant to say "everyone seems to be thinking". Oops

I too went back to hardware after a brief affair with a laptop rig. I think I'll get a dedicated VST player in sometime in the future to bring some of the software sonic goodness on stage. loud, hot, humid wobbly stages I play combined with not-state-of-the-art sound systems and listeners who can't tell the difference between Pianoteq and Korg M1 - all the reasons I needed to go back to a reliable compact hardware.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Not sure why anyone would get the idea that everyone is thinking hardware is over. Of course, if youre only paying attention to threads/articles where keyboardists are using software, you might be fooled into thinking thats everyone, but in reality, the computer guys are still the minority.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Well that seems to be the case, but yeah it's easy to get the impression that there is a migration over to software occurring. What's interesting is that a lot of people talk about going the laptop route and try it and then go back to hardware, which was the case for me. I transitioned over at a time where software modelled instruments were way ahead of hardware, but I was using a hybrid setup. The full computer + MIDI controller setup I went to early last year killed it for me. It was reliable and Mainstage is great, but the controllers are average and clunky to play and are best used as an add on or extra board to and existing rig, they don't compete with a proper pro board in any way, despite what their glossy marketing says. The ergonomics of using a laptop and controller are off putting as well and Mainstage is not fast when you need to make a new split or layer. The best thing for me personally is the FG6 can do everything I need to a quality level I'm happy with, so that's brilliant. When I researched all the hardware boards, some of them seemed like they had really dated technology, but just a lot more of it, but now I see it as they have reached the zenith of their development. The FG is an greatly advanced version of what I have in my D-70 and JV-1080, but it is so much better it's incredible, I'm sure Motif and M3 users have the same feeling. I find it amusing that workstations are now considered the best option for live boards, considering when they first appeared they weren't really intended that way. Roland have done a good job making the Fantom G a great live board. I guess with the advances in hardware we'll start getting multiple sound engine boards as a norm soon. The FG kind of is with the ARX boards and obviously the Kronos and Jupiter are.

the controllers are average and clunky to play and are best used as an add on or extra board to and existing rig, they don't compete with a proper pro board in any way

This. If you gig with a laptop and a studio controller you can't expect the build of a regular gigging board. If you want that you have to shell out for a VAX77 or similar, and that's a lot of money for a controller (it may be worth it, but to each their own).

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

I recently sat in on someone else's rig at a jam. He had mainStage and an M-Audio 49 key controller. I couldn't believe how unstable that combo was, and I think it was because of the controller. When I use software I always use a synth to drive it because, in a pinch, I can always fall back on the hardware. So far I haven't had to. But at least I know the hardware's reliable.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

What was unstable about it? What was happening?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I recently sat in on someone else's rig at a jam. He had mainStage and an M-Audio 49 key controller.

I don't see how anyone could do a serious gig with a 49-key controller.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I recently sat in on someone else's rig at a jam. He had mainStage and an M-Audio 49 key controller.

I don't see how anyone could do a serious gig with a 49-key controller.

Maybe not a jazz/fusion or classic rock/cover gig. But I see lots of indie rock and "electronic" acts use small keyboards like Microns, Microkorgs, M-Audio controllers, etc. all the time.

I see lots of indie rock and "electronic" acts use small keyboards like Microns, Microkorgs, M-Audio controllers, etc. all the time.

True. Lots of kids out there with $99 controllers and thousands of dollars worth of pirated software on their laptop.

:deadhorse:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I see lots of indie rock and "electronic" acts use small keyboards like Microns, Microkorgs, M-Audio controllers, etc. all the time.

True. Lots of kids out there with $99 controllers and thousands of dollars worth of pirated software on their laptop.

:deadhorse:

It seems that way. I did however see one synth band, the ambient duo Future Shuttle, use a Casio CZ-1000 and one of the smaller Yamaha FM keyboard synths (probably a DX-100 but not absolutely sure), running both through pedals. Not surprisingly, by using these instead of the more common small keyboards (Micron, Microkorg, etc.), they have a unique sound compared to other synth bands made up of kids in their age group. They were very pleased when I said their sound reminded me at times of Robert Rich's stuff circa the Numena and Geometry albums.

Archived