Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Wurly

Joe Muscara

Someone local is selling a 200A for $800, including the sustain pedal. I might be able to check it out this weekend. Is this a good price? What should I look for, besides all the notes working?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my Wurli 200A for $500 a year ago - no pedal, three notes not working.

Bought a pedal from vintage vibe for about $200, and spent about $100 on repairs.

One of the notes is funny again (won't sustain) so it's due for another trip to the repairman soon.

It came with legs but regardless, I have it on another stand so I can stack a Clav D6 on top, so the legs are unused for now.

It sits right next to a Nord stage2 and sometimes a Kurz PC3.

It hums, it hisses, and really makes the D6 hum when both are turned on.

But it's the best $500 + $200 + $100 +? I've ever spent.

It inspires me to write, feels real, takes pedals really well (Moogerfooger), looks ultra cool and I play it more than any other of my more modern/reliable keyboards.

But it stays at home, although it is light enough and I may take it out for gigs occasionally.

My advice, buy it, and don't look back but find yourself a reasonable repairman or learn to to DIY.

Yeah, definitely, if it's a good'n.

There was an exquisite one in a local shop a few years back, listed at $800. I could hardly stop playing it; it just had all the juice. It had recently had some real good work on it; very even and responsive.

I still wish I'd picked it up. I could have sampled it and sold it for $700 easily.

As it is, I keep looking for one that's good but with a couple broken keys. Still fine for sampling but cheaper! :-) Or if someone would loan me one!

(Scarbee samples are great, but the world should have a half-decent free sample set.)

While we're on the subject, my drummer has one and has floated the idea of working some sort of trade. It has the pedal. I only checked it out briefly when he first picked it up at a garage sale (along with a Hammond B2 that the jerk already sold and made lots of money off of). As I recall, one note was dead, and the action was all over the place. I've heard how much maintenance these require and considering my Kronos will model it, was wondering if it's worth considering. Thoughts?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Dan, if the Wurly sound is something you'd use once in a while, and if your Kronos does a good job, you should pass. I've owned a 140b and a 200 because I absolutely love the sound, but the both ended up sitting there 99% of the time. For the few tunes that I need a Wurly sound, I get it from either my CP33, MM8, or Electro.

I don't remember how much $$$ I spent getting my Wurlies worked on, but I think it was over $1000. And that was just the electronics, not the action.

If it's something you'd get a lot of use from, and you're willing to spend the $$$, then you should go ahead, but if not, pass.

Just my two cents...

Stuff and things.

That's kind of my thinking - probably too much trouble for my use. I'll be gigging with t Kronos. A wurly would just be something I'd leav set up in the basement for jamming along with my cx3 and a couple other boards that I wouldn't really plan on moving around much. But if it's a pain in the butt, I'd rather not mess with it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I got it! I'll post pics later. If you're on FB, I have one that I took of it in my trunk. It's great. I think it needs some work, but nothing major. I got it for a little less than he was asking. My wife thought I was being unprepared by bringing less money, but that was my plan all along. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived