Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NS2 and Jazz gigs

dazzjazz

Hi,

If you own a NS2 and use it for Jazz gigs of any kind (straight ahead, modern, fusion whatever) I'd appreciate your impressions of the instrument. Does it work for you? Any niggling issues?

Thanks

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My impression is that of all the Nords being used for jazz, the highest praise has been for the Nord Piano with the long release update.

Can that be done to the NS2 also?

I think the NS2 had the long release before the NP.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I think the NS2 will do great for jazz/fusion - especially acoustic and 70's electrified fusion. I brought my NS2 compact for a jam with some old friends. We did a couple of tunes from Cobham's Spectrum - and afterwards I got comments like: "Is this keyboard modeled after that record?" :)

I still haven't used the Nord in an acoustic jazz setting - I don't play much trio/quartet nowadays, but I use the pianos a lot - and they seem to do well at both cutting through the mix and for solo work.

I see in your sig that you have a CP33 - I wouldn't sell that and replace with a Nord - get the NS2 compact (sw73) instead and keep the CP33 as a lower manual for the Nord. I also think the CP33 pianos would complement the Nord's pianos well - just to have that extra cut-through-the-mix piano that Yamaha does so well. Even thought I'm very satisfied with the pianos in the Nord I sometimes find them lacking a bit of attack in the upper octaves, that would be needed in a loud band setting. The new Yam S4 sample is a little bit better, and the Romantic upright does it very well, but it also sounds like your grandma's upright... :) So if you will play loud rock too, I would use the Yamaha piano instead. But in a softer trio or solo situation, the Nord's pianos would be my first choice.

That being said, as a matter a fact I am strongly considering getting a CP33 myself, to go with my compact.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Things is Tobbe that I refuse to carry two boards to gigs - crazy as that may sound. I imagine I can get the Nord to work in a trio setting if I use the right piano sample.

Anyone else care to chime in?

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Glad to hear it sounds good for the Cobham stuff - did you ring mod the Rhodes like in Red Baron?

Of course! :) And the Moogish leads also work very nice.

I know that many here would disagree, but I really think even the compact works really good for piano playing. I've hardly been using a weighted board at all since I got my Electro 3, about three years ago and now since I got the NS2 instead I've only been carrying one board for rehearsal and gigs.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

It's as simple as this: the only way the NS2 wouldn't work for a jazz gig is if you hate the action. It's obviously not an issue for Alan Pasqua and Hiromi.

The NS2 action _is_ noticeably lighter than the NP88's, from my one encounter with it so far. Presumably to arrive at a better compromise for playing organ on an 88-note weighted board. It also appeared to have a longer throw, although that may be down to the addition of aftertouch sensors on the NS2.

I think I'd need to play one again before deciding whether I could live with the lighter touch of the Stage.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

How many NS2 threads do you need to have? :idk
ONE MILLION!!!

http://www.gulfcoastpoker.net/One%20Million%20Dollars.jpg

Well, I do qualify as I'm just as bald!

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

It's as simple as this: the only way the NS2 wouldn't work for a jazz gig is if you hate the action. It's obviously not an issue for Alan Pasqua and Hiromi.

The NS2 action _is_ noticeably lighter than the NP88's, from my one encounter with it so far. Presumably to arrive at a better compromise for playing organ on an 88-note weighted board. It also appeared to have a longer throw, although that may be down to the addition of aftertouch sensors on the NS2.

I think I'd need to play one again before deciding whether I could live with the lighter touch of the Stage.

I didn't notice a difference between the Stage and the NP actions - however the shop wasn't setup well for proper playing (A Frame style tiers).

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

I didn't notice a difference between the Stage and the NP actions - however the shop wasn't setup well for proper playing (A Frame style tiers).

I did notice a different, and as Aidan, I found the Stage 2 considerably lighter. If only I had the resources to dedicate a keyboard to piano sounds, I'd definitely prefer the Piano.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

I did notice a different, and as Aidan, I found the Stage 2 considerably lighter. If only I had the resources to dedicate a keyboard to piano sounds, I'd definitely prefer the Piano.

I barely noticed a difference between the Nord Piano and NS2 (which I own) - and have been back to check on that a few times. So if there is a difference, it's pretty subtle?

And I think if I played more jazz (I listen to a lot), the Nord Stage would be just fine...

The only NS2 I've played was a demo model at a music show shortly after its release, so it could be that store models are slightly different, of course. However, Darren, I'd certainly suggest you get to try before you buy. Compared with my NP88 the NS2 did seem quite a bit lighter and shallower in the action. I do like an action I can "dig in" on somewhat" and the NP88 satisfies that criterion. Not so sure that would be the case with the Stage.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I can't say anything about if one is heavier than the other, but as Aidan point out the aftertouch on NS2 will most probably make it feel slightly different than the Piano. I have noticed the same thing on my Electro 3 vs the Stage 2 sw73. I liked the Electro a bit better for piano - the action felt a bit firmer than the Stage, which is kind of "mushy" when it reach the bottom. It's not a big difference, but it is there.

I liked the Electro a bit better for piano - the action felt a bit firmer than the Stage, which is kind of "mushy" when it reach the bottom.

Interesting. I prefer the Stage Compact's action to the Electro for just that reason. It's somehow smoother and less springy.

. Compared with my NP88 the NS2 did seem quite a bit lighter and shallower in the action. I do like an action I can "dig in" on somewhat" and the NP88 satisfies that criterion. Not so sure that would be the case with the Stage.

I've played the NS2 on probably 6-8 different occasions now and like Aidan I prefer the NP. It does seem easier to *dig in* with. Of course I'm just coming at this from the piano perspective-organ & synth aren't even on my radar. So ymmv...

After getting the NP almost 3 weeks ago, I finally had an opportunity to use it this past Sat. night. The long release feature definitely improves things in regard to the sound and action connection. The new Yamaha sample is pretty nice too--an improvement over the Grand Lady D for group playing imo.

I'd like to hear it in some different rooms before I decide if I'm going to keep it long term. There were times when I definitely felt like I was "clunking around" on the Nord. I'm probably just more "used" to the CP5. The portability factor was utilized to the max as we were up on this second floor balcony of an old library with no elevator. So glad I didn't have to hump the CP5 up those steps.

On a side note, I borrowed a friend's Kronos 73 for a gig this past Sunday night. The piano sounded very good through my TT08As. For the little rhodes playing I did, the Kronos was probably the best emulation I've heard next to the real thing. That said, again I'd still opt for the CP5 over it. It was good to be able to try the Kronos out first hand and see how it worked on our little quartet gig. Definitely didn't dig the 73 note scale.

Archived