Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boards revisited (or: after the GAS has gone...)

Mizu

The other day I had some time after a meeting and decided to visit Sam Ash in NYC. Pretty decent keyboard selection (Hammond SK1 as special order item only, sadly), full complement of Nords, Jupiter 80, no Kronos though, and a good selection of analog ware. So I tried the NS2 and it was decent, but when I went over and played the Korg SV-1 I had *fun*. Can't really explain why, but I felt more of a connection to the board (I went through a series of Korgs in the 90s, maybe I'm primed for that sound?). Then I went over to the analog side and tried the Voyager (which in real life is larger than I expected), but somehow I had more *fun* playing the Mopho that was right next to it.

So: Those of you that have had the SV-1 and/or Mopho: Does the fun factor last? Or is it superficial?

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, they had an XK1 and XK3c on display, but when I asked about the SK1 they said "Special order only".
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

Neat place over here in SW Florida, Indy shop, great board section, Yams, Korgs including a Kronos and 2 Oaysis including the 88, every Kurtz, Rolands etc..no Nords, but a great selection 4 sure. Ive been trying both SP4-8 and Mox8 there, so my next purchase (any day now) will be there.

You should include a few different boards in your thread, there are so many that people gas for, then she turns colder than a head o lettuce ina de iceaboxa.. 1 suggestion? THe Kronos..How many wanted that, now simply do not?

:D Nice phrase. Yeah, there are both kinds - the "wow" boards where the wow factor doesn't last, and the sleepers (or love at second sight) boards, that somehow remain interesting for a longer period of time.

Same story at the GC and Ash in Carle Place LI. They just stopped stocking all HS about 2 yrs ago, and Nord dried up about the same time. There is Armen's on 30th St. he's always posting his stock on the Bay. Plan on visiting there in Nov; maybe the sk-2 will make it there by then.

Armen's a good guy - and his store is vintage heaven. I recently came across these guys: Three Wave Music in Hawthorne, NJ - anyone familiar with them? The photos are intriguing.

I don't know about the wow factor, it might have to do with how old I am. I've become more conservative as father time has crept up on me, so......I usually look for items (not only musical) that will be used as a mainstay. Maybe that's why Yamaha keyboards have always found their way into my music room as a go-to workstation board. Nothing to blow you away, but more than enough B&B sounds to keep me occupied for a long time.

The other thing that I use to spend mad money on were "specialty" boards. Not the most expensive, but fun boards that do at least one thing well, like a clonewheel or a "lead synth". I doubt that I would ever make enough use of a Moog Voyager to justify the cost.

Anytime I would go to a music store and play the latest and greatest whatever, I never took a credit card with me. I went home and thought about it......and thought about it some more. The CC stayed in my wallet. I guess I don't get a rise out of wow factor boards in my old age. :bor:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Mopho Keyboard is a blast to play, I have had it for a few months and I dig it. It's built well, wheels feel good, keys feel great, knobs buttons and lights are right where you need them.

I recently got a Voyager as well. Love that thing. I can tell it will become something that I will never part with, it just takes a bit more time. I think this will be a very "personal" instrument (it certainly got personal with my wallet).....don't know of another way to say it.

I don't have a car, so I'm not willing to schlep out to Jersey.

Me neither, but Zipcar is my friend ;)

Anytime I would go to a music store and play the latest and greatest whatever, I never took a credit card with me. I went home and thought about it......and thought about it some more. The CC stayed in my wallet. I guess I don't get a rise out of wow factor boards in my old age.

Good strategy. In the past few years if I really felt like having a new toy I picked up a soft synth for 1/20th of the cost of a hardware board, for a "quick fix"...

Heh. I should've added I don't have a license, either. :(

Me nei.. um, no, wait... That's why you're a Nu Yawker and I'm just one of those B&T people...

Archived