Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THANKS Keyboard Corner!

ITGITC

KC has helped me meet some really good friends over the years.

This week I was in DC for a couple of days. ProfD was nice enough to show me around.

One of the places we visited was Washington Music. KLONK I had heard about this great music store all my life, but never had the opportunity to visit. The last time I was in DC, ProfD & I looked at the toys in Guitar Center, but Washington Music wasn't open.

When we got there, everybody greeted ProfD by name. As we passed the drum section, the guitar section, the used gear section, in the back of the store is the keyboard section. It's two large rooms STUFFED with keyboards. Many, many boards that you won't find in GC - like a full selection of Nord products. They also had the new Jupiter. We spent over an hour in the store and, in leaving, I discovered they had a completely different building for the PA equipment.

Great store! But even better is hanging out with a forumite you met here on KC when you travel. ProfD is one heck of an ambassador for DC.

Thanks ProfD! ...and thanks to Keyboard Corner for helping us musos connect.

:thu:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very cool. Why were you in DC? I mean, other than to go to Washington Music...

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I miss Chuck Levin's. I did not go there enough when I was in college. Then again, I had less money for gear then than I do now!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Crap, I was in DC on Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday day! Sounds like it was a nice visit and a great store trip!!
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Very cool. Why were you in DC? I mean, other than to go to Washington Music...

Business. All my accounts are federal government. They're located in Baltimore and the DC area.

I wonder if people ever get used to the traffic there. I had to time it such that it wasn't total gridlock when I was trying to get around. There's not much of a window for that in DC.

Whenever I'm in a new city, I try to get to the music stores. I'm betting that you guys seek them out too.

Washington Music is one of the best I've found. People are friendly. There is a HUGE stock of instruments in all categories. ProfD and I agreed that this is a local business where we wouldn't mind paying a little bit more in order to keep them around. He said that they're competitive on pricing.

Frankly, I was impressed all 'round. I highly HIGHLY recommend that if you all are travelling in the DC area, it's worth your time to visit this place... after you've done touring the museums, White House, art galleries, and local pubs. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Business. All my accounts are federal government. They're located in Baltimore and the DC area.

I wonder if people ever get used to the traffic there. I had to time it such that it wasn't total gridlock when I was trying to get around. There's not much of a window for that in DC.

Whenever I'm in a new city, I try to get to the music stores. I'm betting that you guys seek them out too.

Washington Music is one of the best I've found. People are friendly. There is a HUGE stock of instruments in all categories. ProfD and I agreed that this is a local business where we wouldn't mind paying a little bit more in order to keep them around. He said that they're competitive on pricing.

Frankly, I was impressed all 'round. I highly HIGHLY recommend that if you all are travelling in the DC area, it's worth your time to visit this place... after you've done touring the museums, White House, art galleries, and local pubs. :thu:

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

I always let Prof know before I head out to Chuck Levin's - because it's always cool to hang with him and because he helps me get a good deal.

I commute via Metro and am happy to put up with foot traffic rather than car traffic. Before I got my current job, I drove to work. I tried a couple of different routes before settling on a main one, plus an alternate I can take if I see a backup ahead. I don't miss that commute. :)

KC has helped me meet some really good friends over the years.

...and thanks to Keyboard Corner for helping us musos connect.

:thu:

Tom

I agree...I know the vast majority of members are US-based,

but I get the feeling there's a community spirit about this place.

I, personally, have met a good & helpful friend here in the UK (Aidan).

Long may KC continue !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I love me some Chuck Levin's Washington Music!!!

I've bought a ton of gear from them starting in the mid-'80s when I bought my first synthesizer.

They are very competitive on pricing. Just a few months ago, I ordered my Shure PSM wireless IEM rig and they blew away any other prices I'd seen without me even asking for a deal.

I have not visited there in probably 10 years. It is time to make a return visit.

I have done some business with Levins some years ago, and Prof D hooked me up with his KB salesman when I was shopping around for something. Chucks is very competitive, and for someone that lives in Central PA, its not all that far away.

Prof D is the man.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I frequent my local stores all of the time, and support them with purchases. Most often smaller items (<$200), but that is more a factor that as a keyboard player they don't stock what I need. For big ticket items, WMC doesn't charge 5% or so more; they always have the most competitive prices around (better than any internet pricing). Even after paying shipping, I am always better off buying from Chuck's.

I worked there many moons ago (sweeping floors and working stock/inventory), and it was a great experience. A great education too, I might add.

James

Thanks ProfD! ...and thanks to Keyboard Corner for helping us musos connect. :thu:

ITGITC?, you're most welcome mayne. Agreed, KC rocks in connecting the dots.

I'm glad you finally got a chance to visit the music store mecca. Especially since it wasn't crowded at all. No noisemakers, er, aspiring music producers. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived