Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is $700 a fair price for a Nord Electro 2?

Bobadohshe

I'm not an expert on Nord gear, which is why I ask.

I have a friend looking to get a board for singer songwriter applications (piano, rhodes, wurly) and a friend of hers is offering to sell his Electro 2 for $700. I don't know whether it's 61 key or 73 key, I told her to find out and report back. My cursory investigation leads me to think that it's a decent price, but what do you all think? Do any other options seem more logical? I'd suggest a used CP33 if she didn't need the damn wurly sounds.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, $700 is a very good price for a NE2 61.

I don't necessarily think it's the best board for that particular application (sound set) aside, as Skinny's right, it does suck playing piano on an NE2.

OTOH, if you friend isn't a dyed in the wool piano player, then the action might not make much of a difference to them, in which case . . . it's just fine.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I think the price is good, but if she is interested only in piano/EP sounds and not organ, it seems a shame to be stuck with a nonweighted keyboard.

As for your CP33 alternative, I think that's sensible, not just for the weighted action, but because a good piano sound and no wurly is probably better than a not so good piano sound with a wurly.

For that matter, once you take the drawbar organ out of the equation, I'm not sure an Electro 2 is even the best piano/rhodes/wurly she could find for $700. If she doesn't care about a weighted action, I think a Korg PS60 might outperform the NE2.

For a weighted action, in something used, I still like my Casio PX-310, and it does have piano, rhodes, and wurly sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It is a fair deal for a singer/songwriter looking for that 'retro' soundset. Also, comes in handy if she decides to accompany herself on gigs. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Excellent price for a 73! You can't load the new pianos into the NE2 though and the acoustic samples for the NE2 are pretty bad ... but if she's got other accompanists with her (even as a duo) it might be OK. The EPs, clavs, and organs, of course, are great for this application. I find the action to be OK; I wouldn't do a jazz trio gig on it, but for what you describe, it's probably just fine. And it's light and portable, very handy in those cozy corners where singer/songwriters often perform ... I hope your friend has a chance to try it out first and decide for herself.

If so, $700 is a great price!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

It is a fair deal for a singer/songwriter looking for that 'retro' soundset. Also, comes in handy if she decides to accompany herself on gigs. :cool:

That will be the main thrust of it Prof. Yeah, it does seem a little maddening to not be using some of the great potential of the board. I will ask her if she really needs those wurly sounds, but I think she might. I don't blame her, it's a pretty essential sound.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

OTOH, if you friend isn't a dyed in the wool piano player, then the action might not make much of a difference to them, in which case . . . it's just fine.

She isn't. It'll be supporting bread and butter chords mostly. Still, she also expressed concern about a weighted action. I'll let her decide.

Archived