Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What leslie works well to Hammond SK 2?

Octopus

Hi

Im going to buy a Hammond Sk2.

And I wonder what leslie works as a good combination?

On stage i also use a Roland Junostage for other sounds and maybe even the grand piano (if hammnod sk not are that good as in roland), (roland has the sampled piano from fantom x).

Today I use a Behringer as keyboard amp

http://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_k3000fx.htm

Is it possible to send the non organsound from sk to my behringer, and the organsounds to a leaslie?

To use the leslie to all sounds even from the roland must be a bad idea ...or?

Maybe a Leaslie 2101 + My Behringer is a good choise?

To all SK owners out there: What leslie do you use?

....or is the internal leslie good enough? Just plug to my Benhringer...

Any need for neo ventilator?

/Andy from sweden

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Internal sim is fine. Not sure about a Ventilator with a SK series because the Ventilator made the XK series sound a little funky. You can use really any Leslie but if it is an older one you will need some kind of preamp.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I copied my reply from a similar post in the Organ Forum:

Hi

Im consider going to buy a Hammond Sk2. ....(or maybe xk3c, hard to decide)....

And I wonder what leslie works as a good combination to the SK2?

Either a 2101 MkII or a 3300 will work well. You would be able to play the SK's Extra Voices directly through the stationary speakers in the 2101 MkII while simultaneously playing the organ through the Leslie (horn and stationary speakers).

On stage i also use a Roland Junostage for other sounds and maybe even the grand piano (if hammnod sk not are that good as in roland), (roland has the sampled piano from fantom x).

Is it possible to send the non organsound from sk to my behringer, and the organsounds to a leaslie?

Yes with an adapter for the 8 pin Leslie connector that can be made yourself or one will be available from Hammond.

I don't know about the Roland but there are a number of voices in the SK's that would sound good through the Leslie.

If the Berhinger can reproduce low frequencies without getting a hernia it might do well for bass notes and give a little more weight to the organ sound in larger venues.

I don't have an SK (yet) but have an XK-3 and '3c (System) and play through a 3300 and Leslie 21System (2101 + 2121) it sounds great.

I think it is. You can also plug the digital Leslie into your amp and use the 8 pin connector to connect to a 2101 and have 2 Leslies.

Any need for neo ventilator when use sk?

I don't think so but I'm one of the few (possibly the only one) to whom the Ventilator doesn't sound good. To me it sounds like an organ going through a processor.

Good Luck....

/Andy from sweden

I use a Leslie 145 with an SK-1 (for organ sounds). Interface box is XM-47 which plugs into 8 pin din socket on the SK. For piano sounds I use 1 or 2 various guitar amps for now (plugged into L-mono & R 1/4" outputs on SK). If venue is small, I use internal sim instead of Leslie.

Edit: I should point out that when using the XM-47 Leslie connector with the SK-1, engaging either of the Leslie control buttons "Stop" or "Fast" will cause Leslie to shift to fast mode. Both must be off for slow mode; either one engaged for fast. No big deal for me, just an idiosyncrasy. Leslie control buttons operate correctly for internal sim operation. SK-1 footswitch control for external Leslie with XM-47 works fine also.

There is no comparison between the Ventilator and the internal sim: VENTILATOR HANDS DOWN. I use the SK1 into my Ventilator, and while I'd prefer less stuff to hook up, the SK1 just sounds better through the Ventilator. Not only is the leslie sound much better, but the overdrive on the Ventilator sounds much better and more realistic. (And I used the Ventilator with my XK1 for 2 years before getting the SK1.)

As you can see, you need to try this for yourself, as you'll get a different answer from everyone.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I'm surprised it isn't easier to send non organ patches throught the leslie on the SK. That would be handy for things like Three Dog Night's 'Momma Told Me'.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hi

Im going to buy a Hammond Sk2.

And I wonder what leslie works as a good combination?

/Andy from sweden

For what it is worth I did a outdoor blues festival show sometime 2 to 5 years ago. Paul Brown was playing keys in The Stacy Mitchhart Band on the same stage after us. Paul played a XK-3c through Leslie 2101 and a 2 of those Behringer amps. I caught the 30 minutes and he had a good sound going on.

So you like Ken Hensley. If you don't have it, get The Wizards Diary.

The organ starts to get get interest after the 4:00 mark.

[video:youtube]

Archived