Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tried these Gator 61 key cases?

Leh173

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One was attached to the "haunted" PC3X I briefly encountered, suggesting that rather than "B-stock", the thing was in fact "used".

Anyway, the case seemed pretty well made and protected the keyboard well. Heavy though - to put it in perspective, the 61-key case you linked to weighs nearly half as much as an 88-note Roland RD piano.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I have that exact model (GKPE-61-TSA) for my Kronos 61. The configurable foam bits are a little strange and I'm not using most of them. The Kronos is nice and snug in there and it's a great case...very well made. I was unable to fit my Fantom G6 in the same case so make sure you look carefully at the dimensions.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I have the "slim" version for the PC3x....no complaints at all, perfect fit. Fits snug, foam pieces can be placed as needed to prevent upward movement if the case is turned upside down. It is lighter than other cases for 88 size keyboards.

I have the 88 key version of that case. I carry my Korg SV-1 in it. The main handle (with the red) on the case broke on mine - with just what I would consider normal use. Gator sent a replacement to me for free, which I was very pleased with. The drawbacks are that 1) I had to pry the glued foam away from the inside to replace the handle, and 2) I am wary of using that handle now.

Like said above, it is very heavy, but I have no doubt that it is protecting the SV-1.

I haven't used their Keyboard cases but I have used their rack cases and those tend to fall apart under their own weight. Or at least the ones I have do. I generally stick to SKB.

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

Thanks for those responses! Thanks Bill W if the FG6 doesn't fit in there then no good for me. According to the dimensions on that link it should just fit in, but I guess it's inaccurate?
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

In a related question, I'm looking to get a super lightweight 88 key case for my Casio PX3. I'm not looking for heavy or weight bearing protection here, just a 'gig bag' to protect it from the elements and from scratching on load in / load out. What does anyone think is the best option, Gator?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I have one for my SK-1 (49 key) and my Motif XF-7 (76 key) and are very happy with them.....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

In a related question, I'm looking to get a super lightweight 88 key case for my Casio PX3. I'm not looking for heavy or weight bearing protection here, just a 'gig bag' to protect it from the elements and from scratching on load in / load out. What does anyone think is the best option, Gator?
I guess you missed the free gig bag deal Casio was doing a while back? That's too bad. That's the bag I got, and it works fine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PriviaCase/

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for those responses! Thanks Bill W if the FG6 doesn't fit in there then no good for me. According to the dimensions on that link it should just fit in, but I guess it's inaccurate?

This is the one I ordered...looks the same:

product/sku qnty @ price$ = total$

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gator GKPETSA ATA Molded Keyboard Case wi (61-Key, GKPE-61-TSA)

GATGKPETSA 1 @ 169.95 = 169.95

I was in a huge hurry when I tried to fit my G6 in there so maybe I was doing something wrong. It holds my Kronos just fine, but that's a lot smaller. I can try again this weekend to verify for you if you'd like.

Bill

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I guess you missed the free gig bag deal Casio was doing a while back? That's too bad. That's the bag I got, and it works fine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PriviaCase/

Only missed it because this isn't a keyboard I bought myself, it's the one the great Eric Lawson graciously SENT to me when he heard about my burglary back in June. That bag looks like it will do the trick. Though I wouldn't mind one with wheels.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I have the 88 key slim line version for my Privia PX-330 and it's been on the road since April of 2010. The middle handle broke late last year but Gator sent me a new one for free and it's been fine since then. I like the case and I'm considering one for my Andomeda (if I keep it).

This is the one I ordered...looks the same:

product/sku qnty @ price$ = total$

Gator GKPETSA ATA Molded Keyboard Case wi (61-Key, GKPE-61-TSA)

GATGKPETSA 1 @ 169.95 = 169.95

I was in a huge hurry when I tried to fit my G6 in there so maybe I was doing something wrong. It holds my Kronos just fine, but that's a lot smaller. I can try again this weekend to verify for you if you'd like.

Bill

If you have the time Bill, that would be great to know if it fits. By the sounds of things though I will probably have to get a case custom made. The FG6 is so deep. I saw the Kronos and a while back and yes it's much more compact. I was actually surprised how small it was.

Thanks

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Only missed it because this isn't a keyboard I bought myself, it's the one the great Eric Lawson graciously SENT to me when he heard about my burglary back in June.
Oh right, I forgot that's how you got it. Wotta guy, eh? :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you have the time Bill, that would be great to know if it fits. By the sounds of things though I will probably have to get a case custom made. The FG6 is so deep. I saw the Kronos and a while back and yes it's much more compact. I was actually surprised how small it was.

Thanks

OK, I tried it this morning and the G6 does fit in the case. You will need to customize a couple of the provided foam pieces in order to secure it, but it will definitely work!

Bill

Thanks Bill for that info. Do you think any extras like pedals and cables would fit in with the G?

What did you end up doing for a case for the G? Did you get a custom made one?

No problem. I use a Gator GK-61 for the G6.

I haven't tried to get anything else into the case, but it might be possible. All of my cables and pedals are in separate bags.

Wow so I guess that is tough enough for the G6 if you're gigging with it? Looks like a semi-hard case, and almost the same weight as the hard case version. Has it been OK?

Yeah, no problems taking it to gigs in that case. I used to use just a soft gig bag. I still use the soft bag to transport the keyboards to practices. They're just going into and out of my car and I'm the only one handling them.

There was a time when I had 3 keyboards and no cases at all. :crazy:

Interesting to hear multiple stories of handle breaking on the gator cases. Looks like the handle pivot is just two plastic mounted brackets that have knobs that inserts in the handles receiver holes. I can imagine how this lends itself to busting loose when carrying weight.

http://www.gallantbrothers.com/thesupertonics/images/1271859766-18685800.jpg

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Interesting to hear multiple stories of handle breaking on the gator cases. Looks like the handle pivot is just two plastic mounted brackets that have knobs that inserts in the handles receiver holes. I can imagine how this lends itself to busting loose when carrying weight.

http://www.gallantbrothers.com/thesupertonics/images/1271859766-18685800.jpg

Agreed, that doesn't look secure at all.

:(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Yup - the replacement is built different but I have not used it without the loaded case being supported elsewhere at the same time.

Incidentally, the handle at the opposite end of the wheels on my 88 key version sort of broke this weekend. The notch that prevents the handle from rotating all the way up (180 degrees from its resting position) broke, so now my hand gets squished against the case as I am toting it. I really don't think I was abusive with the case - just using it as I thought it should be used.

I will tell you what Gator support has to say.

An 88 key version of this is the case that a vendor I am looking at bundles with the S90XS that I want to get when the next calendar arrives. I don't know about the handle an S90XS is kind of heavy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Seems like you could drill a hole thru the center of the pivot, right thru the handle and thru the bracket, and put a bolt thru it.

The shear strength, of say a 1/4in bolt is a million times stronger then a plastic assembly like that.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump and old thread but I ended up buying the GKPE-61-TSA case I linked to at the top of the thread. It's worked out well for my Fantom G6. It's heavy, but the wheels make it quite manageable and it's seems quite well made. The flexibility of it to customize it with velcro pads and dividers is quite handy too. Also special thanks to Bill W for his Fantom G6 research on this one!

Cheers

I have a very similar Gator case that I have used for years to transport my Korg CX-3 clone ... so far so good and it has seen a lot of "use" !!!

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Archived