Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo vs. Mono revisited

AnotherScott

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Am curious why you use the Soundcraft in between your keyboard and the Stagepas.

Why not just use the Stagepas mixer?

(I'm a bit new to the game and am experimenting with the best live set up which is easily transported, and so did get the Stagepas)

Hank

[Nord Stage 2 88, Yamaha MOX 6. Stagepas 500)

For those in the mono camp.... :deadhorse:

and for those in the stereo camp... :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I'm old school from '69... we rolled with QUAD! :laugh:

Happy New Year, ya Freaques!

Tommy

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Frankenstein panning through quadrophonic system would be cool.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

For those in the mono camp.... :deadhorse:

and for those in the stereo camp... :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I'm old school from '69... we rolled with QUAD! :laugh:

Happy New Year, ya Freaques!

Tommy

:D

After watching the Mid-Side Recording You Tube video posted in a similar thread (by Kanker, IIRC), having Mid-Side simulation as an effects option - Global, or Insert - on all of my keyboards/modules/software instruments would be great. Would have to use mono samples, or edit my stereo patches to be 'centered', but it would be interesting to try Mid-Side within a digital instrument. I haven't searched for it yet in Logic Pro 9, or Studio One, but I suspect it's either there or available as a third party product.

Seems that being able to work with the parameters presented in the video would offer a 'best of all worlds' scenario for a FOH mix, though I wonder how well that would work in the house monitor, or IEM mix... In the meantime I run my keys to mixer in stereo for my own monitoring (especially with IEM's), then run mono for the FOH mix: both sides taken, but run centered. So far so good with that; no phasing issues/sonic weirdness reported out front, or in the monitors. I can run the L/Mono out of each keyboard through my DI if needed for a 'correct' mono FOH send, but so far that hasn't seemed necessary.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Keep in mind that Mid Side isn't a silver bullet against phase issues. It just moves any phase issues from center to side.

With other stereo modes, you can get phase cancellation issues whenever the two sides sum to mono. Generally this happens only if there are phase issues inherent in the two signals to begine with.

With Mid-Side, the stereo effect cancels out completely when summed to mono. However, if there are phase issues in the two signals to begin with, you'll hear the phase cancellation in either side, i.e., when you're too close to one speaker.

Still, I believe that keyboard manufacturers should pay more attention to MS effects and MS sampling, especially in the cases where with normal stereo, one side is weak compared to the other. For example, player's perspective stereo piano, where high notes tend to be to the right, low to the left: most piano players would prefer the right side to the left if using only one channel, but even more players would prefer ONE GOOD MONO signal and then a stereo image channel to use optionally. This is a good candidate for Mid-Side encoding, allowing the player or engineer to control the image width.

What's this video? I haven't seen it.

Allan, if your stereo mix sounds good when mixed to mono, then you don't have any of the phase cancellation issues associated with problematic stereo. While M/S would be cool to allow you to control the stereo width, it wouldn't solve any problems (since you don't feel you have any problems). Even if it did seem to solve problems, it would only be moving them from center to sides.

I have a DP that doesn't sound good mixed to mono, player perspective. The NE2 I use with it sounds pretty much the same on either side. So, I run my monitors in stereo, and if I have to feed mono to FOH, I feed right side only. If I had some patches where left side was preferred, I'd be sunk.

Thanks, Jeff. I was thinking of M/S being a cool option to have in the bag o' tricks - especially when recording my own stuff ( my board is very simple, most processing being done within software). Live, it doesn't appear that I have FOH signal problems, as two engineers out here - that I would consider of the caliber of many with whom I worked in Chicago - were good with my signal routing. But my PA / engineering chops / knowledge are second rate, at best, so I can use all the help I can get in that area. Plus having worked in some sonically abysmal situations here, it helps to have options. I've experienced more screwed up stage mixes in the past three years than I did in the previous twenty. While electronic drums can sound good - when processed / mixed correctly, and IEM's can be great, both can get very messy in inexperienced hands, or when things get rushed. It's getting to the point, at least in the CO scene, where I prefer acoustic drums and a basic floor monitor mix. Perhaps a major music market would offer more consistency, professionally.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived