Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hurricane Irene

Fumblyfingers

To everyone in the path of Hurricane Irene....... I wish you will all get through this thing safe and sound as well as all your loved one's.

This thing is going to be a bitch by all accounts. Please heed the warnings and do what the experts and authorities say. Stay indoors, batten down the hatches, head for the cellar or underground shelter, evac if told to...... don't try be a hero or reckon you might get some good video for YouTube, if you go out on the upstairs balcony or something.

It might be an idea to stop in to this thread, if you have time, and let us know if you are in the general area so we can check up on you later.

Keep your heads down and stay safe and hopefully this thing will blow right by you.

There is an Afrikaans word....."vasbyt!" (Pronounced fuss-bait.....sorta-kinda) It literally means bite down and hold on.

Vas=tight, secure, held fast etc

Byt= bite

In a broader sense it is also a word for perseverance, determination and persistence. The American version would be "hang in there!"

So............."Vasbyt" my friends. Talk to you after this thing has blown over.

Stay safe!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes... as someone on the Gulf Coast I'll say be careful.

My friends in New Orleans offer two big bits of advice:

1) put family photographs in something waterproof, take them with you if you leave. You won't believe how much it hurts to lose them, more than vintage gear... more than anything...

2) if you have to leave empty the fridge. It might seem expensive to replace the stuff in it, but that's cheaper than having to replace the entire thing if the power's out for a week+ and it becomes toxic.

May this thing weaken to a glorified rainstorm before it hits the metro areas with subways and basements.

Hoping for the best.

Best of luck to anyone living in the path. Most people who have never experienced a hurricane think it IS a glorified rainstorm, and no big deal. But you gotta respect the power.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I live in Raleigh, NC, just west of the brunt of the storm. Eastern NC is getting a fair bit of wind damage, but this storm made landfall as a cat 1 storm, not a huge deal, but destructive nonetheless. Storm surge on the Outer banks and in the sounds is causing a lot of flood issues.

I went through seven typhoons(Pacific Rim talk for "hurricane") when I was a kid living on Guam. They ranged from a heavy rain storm to a Category Five "Perfect Storm" scenario, Typhoon Karen. Prior to the storm, there had been dense jungle growth all around the air base I lived on, right up to the perimeter fence of the base. Karen scoured it all off, right down to the ground, as if a belt sander went over the island.

Fortunately, there were only a few lives lost. On base, we lived in what amounted to reinforced concrete bunkers with aluminum louvers for windows, so we were physically safe. And the Guamanians all had shelters to ride it out in. But, we didn't have electricity or running water for nearly a week after. All the Air Force planes and Navy ships had been transferred out of there before Karen hit, and all the land-based antennas were blown away. So, there wasn't even outside radio contact with the island for several days. We heard that there were headlines in San Francisco that said "GUAM IS GONE!"

Respect the storm indeed. Take cover and stay down till it passes, Don't go out as the eye of the storm passes over, it can last for quite a while but the other side of the storm is coming. Be safe, y'all.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I was hoping Gabriel was posting here today. He went through Katrina, lost his home in New Orleans,and relocated somewhere in NY. And posted the entire trip/fiasco right here.

Gabriel, if you visit, please post your tips and what not.

And it's appreciated! You went through a bunch, and moved on! :cool:

I was hoping Gabriel was posting here today. He went through Katrina, lost his home in New Orleans,and relocated somewhere in NY. And posted the entire trip/fiasco right here.

Gabriel, if you visit, please post your tips and what not.

And it's appreciated! You went through a bunch, and moved on! :cool:

I think that, for the most part, the general area where Gabriel settled down will get no more than some fairly "normal" stormy weather, being a bit Upstate from NYC (though a lot closer than I am); I certainly hope that's the case. You might PM him with a link to this thread if you want to hear from him here...

exclamation.gif Wow, picker, deusey of a story! Damn, a jungle eraser... !?

I live in Upstate New York State, a good six-hour + drive NW from NYC. I don't know as we'll get much impact from Irene here, other than some rain; the forecast calls for a 50% chance of rain- not thunderstorms- after midnight tonight, and more of the same steadily through Sunday. If otherwise, I'll certainly let you all know here.

Now, a friend's daughter lives there in NYC, though I don't think she's within the rather large area being evacuated there.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Amen brother, this is a big scary storm for sure. 600 miles from end to end!! My twin bro' lives in Elkton Md (45 miles NE of Bal-mo') and he's really scared of this one. They've had a very wet August so the ground is already saturated and he knows there'll be lots of trees down for sure. Good luck and prayers are out to all in the storm's path.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I went through seven typhoons(Pacific Rim talk for "hurricane") when I was a kid living on Guam. They ranged from a heavy rain storm to a Category Five "Perfect Storm" scenario, Typhoon Karen. Prior to the storm, there had been dense jungle growth all around the air base I lived on, right up to the perimeter fence of the base. Karen scoured it all off, right down to the ground, as if a belt sander went over the island.

Fortunately, there were only a few lives lost. On base, we lived in what amounted to reinforced concrete bunkers with aluminum louvers for windows, so we were physically safe. And the Guamanians all had shelters to ride it out in. But, we didn't have electricity or running water for nearly a week after. All the Air Force planes and Navy ships had been transferred out of there before Karen hit, and all the land-based antennas were blown away. So, there wasn't even outside radio contact with the island for several days. We heard that there were headlines in San Francisco that said "GUAM IS GONE!"

Respect the storm indeed. Take cover and stay down till it passes, Don't go out as the eye of the storm passes over, it can last for quite a while but the other side of the storm is coming. Be safe, y'all.

hey picker... I visited Guam in '98 for a 5 day tour (was happily surprised the local PA company had a Boogie Tremo-Verb for the backline, but I digress).

A beautiful place but with many tales of typhoons...the locals seemed used to it.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Oi, Harvey! I did not know you were from Oz. Always wanted to visit there.

Are Cold Chisel and Jimmy Barnes still playing up a storm over there? I hung out with Barnes-ey and Ian Moss plus a couple of the guys from Jimmy's band, in LA when he came out to work on one of his albums.

They were mixing at the time and were here around 2 weeks or so.

It took me about 4 months to detox after they left!! :laugh::sick::cool:

hi guys, we were lucky here, other than a bunch of trees down, for the most part all's good here in scenic manchester.

i had a unique perspective yesterday, i got hired last minute (like, noon, for a 2pm downbeat) to play in westbrook on the shore...and watched long island sound go from beautiful to something outta a steven king story. i got home about 9 pm, it wasn't even close enough yet to matter.

other than a couple momentary micro power outtages, all's good here tho. it spent most of it's fury over new york i think. hard to tell, still no local stations last i checked...admitedly, a couple hours ago.

peace!

Of course we all hope "airbody's" OK...well, most everybody... :laugh:

I've been through a few 'caines when I lived in various parts of Fla & as we all know, even without that direct experience, they can be devastating.

Spooky, too, if yer in the actual eye.

What seems odd abt this one---& it's just a random mix of wind activity & chance---is how it drove right up the E Coast w/out diverting inland or out to sea.

MAP = http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/at201109.asp

I suppose that had something to do w/not catching the usual snags of the islands or Gulf surroundings.

Or MAYBE it's b/c they named it "Irene", which derives from a Greek word meaning "peace".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene

Could there be an effective way of influencing storm behavior by the name they're given ? :D:rolleyes: :idk

d=halfnote

Of course we all hope "airbody's" OK...well, most everybody... :laugh:

I've been through a few 'caines when I lived in various parts of Fla & as we all know, even without that direct experience, they can be devastating.

Spooky, too, if yer in the actual eye.

What seems odd abt this one---& it's just a random mix of wind activity & chance---is how it drove right up the E Coast w/out diverting inland or out to sea.

MAP = http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/at201109.asp

I suppose that had something to do w/not catching the usual snags of the islands or Gulf surroundings.

Or MAYBE it's b/c they named it "Irene", which derives from a Greek word meaning "peace".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene

Could there be an effective way of influencing storm behavior by the name they're given ? :D:rolleyes: :idk

Call 'em Blackened Chipotle Cheddar Burgers 'n' Nut Brown Ale by the pint, then, and let's do lunch... :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived