Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many of you "older" guys still do the late night gigs?

SteveC

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here, if it is special I'll consider it, but I hit the big six-O last year. I find that a very late Saturday night wipes out my Sunday -- it just goes over the edge of what my body can accommodate, so these days I try to avoid anything that goes past midnight.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

My problem isn't that I can't stay up late to play, my problem is that when I tell friends my band is playing a gig at a bar and that we are starting at 9pm, they look at me and say: "wow, that's late."

Ditto! LOL!

Over here, (East Midlands UK) nothing starts till 9pm & the best stuff starts at 11 or midnight & the weekend tends to start Thursday night. If you want the cash you have to play the gig as offered. Goes with the territory. I don't mind as I'm retired, but so far, I haven't heard any of the younger guys object either.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Ok, so I'm an "older" rocker at 38.

HAH!!!!!!!!

Sprog!

:D

G.

Really. Talk to me in 20 years.

I didn't say that I was an "old" rocker. Just an "older" rocker. ;)

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I will say this: My self-employment during the day is my work on my farm; taking care of my animals, etc., lots of vigorous physical work (and some not so vigorous). Lots of fresh air...I find that playing a late gig after a day like that is lots easier than after a day in an office sitting on my ever-fatter-a$$. YMMV.

I prefer early gigs and I don't understand why audiences don't. If it pays enough I'll stay up late - bearing in mind travelling times. I stopped playing until 3:30am last year at 46 - not because of age though - more health, family and lifestyle choice.

Now I try to finish gigs by 10:30 midweek and 11ish on the weekend if I have a say in the matter.

Now what about early gigs - I have to rehearse at 8:30 am for Church gigs. That ain't right!

That's my thinking, too. It isn't because I'm older, but health, lifestyle, family, etc.

I also play at church and have to be there at 8:00am - not fun after a 3:00 am bedtime.

Thankfully smoking isn't an issue her any more. We tended to avoid those venues anyway. NOTHING worse than a smoke hangover.

I love to play. Hopefully there won't be too many "school night" gigs. We'll have to see how it goes. I plan to play. If it sucks,I'll just give notice and quit.

Just wondering what others thought.

With the kind of music I play, there really aren't many gigs that don't start at 9 and end at 2. It's just the way it works. When I can't hack it, I'll quit doing it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Just got home from a medium-late gig. I'll hit the sheets by midnight. Got $50 for driving 40 miles round trip and hosting a jam. I'll gladly do it again Saturday for another $50, because I need the money.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

When I can't hack it, I'll quit doing it.

Or who knows. Maybe develop it into a lounge act.

You're obviously not listening--it IS a lounge act.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

When I can't hack it, I'll quit doing it.

Or who knows. Maybe develop it into a lounge act.

You're obviously not listening--it IS a lounge act.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Alright, so I'm kidding. But maybe not really. In my solo set I do a couple Who tunes. Who'd have thought that would happen 25 years ago? Can a Black Flag unplugged set be that far behind?

I haven't said no yet. We're trying to get 20 tunes together for a first rehearsal - with someone coming in to audition for a lead vocal spot. I'm not convinced this person is a good fit at all. They will have to blow me away at the audition.

The tentative song list is ok but I think could be better. There's a definite 80's theme going on. That might sell here, it may not. I'm just going to hang out for a while and see what happens. If they go with this singer, I may be out. Just not what I thought we had in mind initially. We'll see. I hate to pre-judge.

I'm 40 and do the late night gigs - usually 9-1, but we only do weekends. Those weekday gigs are too tough when you work in the morning. It's rough enough not having the weekend to relax. Occasionally we'll throw in a Sunday or week day if it's a holiday or special occasion. But this last weekend we played Fri, Sat, and Sunday afternoon, and it pretty well kicked my ass. Had a hard time getting up for work this morning. But for an extra $40k a year, i'll gladly suck it up and give up my weekends.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

But for an extra $40k a year, i'll gladly suck it up and give up my weekends.

I wouldn't give it another thought if I was making that kind of money. I maybe make $3,000 in a good year.

Well, after taxes... After deductions, I still owed $15k in taxes last year - self employment tax is a bitch.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If I gave up every fri and sat nights, with an occasional sun afternoon thrown in there, I wouldn't be married anymore.

For me, that'd suck.

If I gave up every fri and sat nights, with an occasional sun afternoon thrown in there, I wouldn't be married anymore.

For me, that'd suck.

My divorce was finalized a couple months ago

Dan

I'm about to round the bend to 59. Been gigging my whole adult life as a 'weekend warrior'. (I'm FAR younger than a certain friend of mine who will remain nameless.. but his name rymes with Lob Nollihur;-)

When I have a 10-1 gig I get a nice nap in prior to the gig, keep the guinnes to a minimum and I'm pretty good, though pretty useless the next day.

I prefer earlier gigs but dammit, I just love playing music so I quit whining and get the gig done!

Karl

Just pulled a 9 to 1 bar gig last night. We played an extra 30 minutes just to impress the owner and the booking guys. Yeah, we'll get asked back again and got paid full price in cash at the end of the evening. Crowd loved us and our sound and song selection. Then broke down the PA, loaded it up, drove it home, unloaded it and threw it into the bedroom to sort everything out later. Dog and wife did not sleep well in my absence.

Dog is ready to get up and play with daddy.

Life will suck today.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The dogs have no concept of time or the fact that "Daddy's tired and would like to sleep in late". They are very similar to small children, except the Lab weights 82 pounds, runs at 20 mph and has sharper teeth.

You've never seen my son. Weird kid.

Push the button Frank.

Archived