Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Die Funky Machine"No love for GSI zD6?

psr220

I thought there would be more hype. Not as much as VB3,but more than I found with google. Guido nailed certain nuances that the NORD samples seem to be missing(and vice versa)IMHO. I own two D6's,one with the Stevie preamp,and a Clavinet ii.

zD6 pro's

-Damper...I use this a lot when I play the real deal. zD6 goes flat but my D6 goes sharp when dampened

-Low notes have more growl

-Pitch envelope seems more accurate

-Wah is voiced better

-Price

NORD pro's

-High notes sound sweeter

-Sustains longer

-Pickup and filter settings are more accurate

-Stability of hardware

-Red

If I could successfully combine these positive attributes it would be a mean machine. I have no experience with Scarbee or EVD6 and would like to hear opinions on how they stack up. Thanx

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice review! I'm no clav expert, never owned one but i kind of get more inspired playing the Nord's. There's something about the ZD6 that don't sit right with me, it's like the sound is right there in my face (i haven't checked the velocity or anything like that), once again i'm no Clav expert. And since I haven't messed with it a lot my opinion is not final.

On the other hand, i spent hours and hours tweaking the Nord's Clav and found some lovely sounds. I too would like to hear more opinions about the ZD6!

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

The Nord captures the vibe of my old Clavinet 2's better than zD6. I can't really describe it. I think it is the accuracy of the pickup tones - all 4 pickup combos are right on.

I agree that the nord wah is kind of weak..

Out of curiosity, have you ever try an external Wah?

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

No, the music I am playing doesn't call for much clav these days, so I mostly play it for my amusement.

Nord clavs thru the leslie sim are awesome though!

Oh ok, i'm asking cause i never did. I had a Cry Baby but i only used it with the Organ sound when i was in a Reggae Band, i should've tried it with the Clav :( (I sold the Wah). And yeah, try it with a Ventilator...kicks butt!

• 7 years later...

Hai! Long time lurker and seldom poster here. Im the OP of this zombie thread and lost that email long ago. Anyhoo...

Im resurrecting this topic to see if anyone can confirm or deny that the Clavinet in the latest hardware offerings from Crumar/GSi is the same Clavinet sample set as ZD6? Im considering a Mojo, Gemini, or Mac to supplement my live rig; Nord Stage 3 Compact and the occasional Roland A70&A800Pro...

I've got zD6. Had it for years. Bought VB3, zD6, and the Roland Space Echo sim. When I went 64 bit I never upgraded VB3 or bought a wrapper to make them work. I seem to remember zD6 being the most realistic Clav sim I ever used (and I have Logic and EVD6 as well as the Scarbee stuff). I have no experience with the red things (other than plinking on them in GC) but I think the thing about the Nord that made me like it was the touch/connection between the notes. It almost "felt" more like you were playing a clav.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived