Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Book + CD - "Tricia Woods - Beginning Blues Keryboard"

stillplaying

Book + CD - "Tricia Woods - Beginning Blues Keyboard"

I'm a music teacher. I have blues stuff that I've used but it's all at a high-ish level.

Looking for a method book to work through with a student who's showing an interest. He's 11, been with me about half a year, hands just not quite at the octave stage.

Read the reviews on Amazon - and had a look at the "look inside" function on the US Amazon site. Can't tell much about it. Just contents.

Thanks in advance.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the Mark Harrison Blues Piano book. It might be digestible for someone that age as well, but you'd know better than I.

I also liked the Tim Richards book, but it's probably a bit much for an 11 year old. Still, check for yourself and see.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I liked the Mark Harrison Blues Piano book. It might be digestible for someone that age as well, but you'd know better than I.

Big fat +1 from me on this book. Get it, digest it, use the concepts with your student, and you'll be amazed at home much you learn yourself.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Yes Mark Harrison - I bought and worked through the Pop Piano Book about fifteen or twenty years ago. I could already play/improvise to a reasonable standard - it'd be a struggle IMO for an inexperienced player.

Are the Blues and Gospel ones like chapters from the Pop Piano Book?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I have the Pop Piano Book and it's good, but for some reason I can't say how it compares.

I think the good part of Harrison's books is that he shows you the licks and they are dead on. It's up to you to make music out of them, if you get my drift.

The Tim Richards book is called Improvising Blues Piano. He also has a two-part jazz piano series that follows.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm using the Trica Woods book myself. I like it, the examples are good, it works through a lot of different parameters and styles, and there are two further books in the series (the second also by Woods).

I'm a LOT older than 11 - but I don't think an 11 year old would have difficulty understanding the book.

The CD with it is definitely worthwhile -- helps in making sure the user knows what it "should" sound like.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Yes Mark Harrison - I bought and worked through the Pop Piano Book about fifteen or twenty years ago. I could already play/improvise to a reasonable standard - it'd be a struggle IMO for an inexperienced player.

Are the Blues and Gospel ones like chapters from the Pop Piano Book?

Yes. That is why I like it.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived