Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Akai Miniak

analogman1

...anybody using one? I've tried it several times at guitar center, and it's really starting to grow on me! Not quite in the league as my minimoog, but for a quick, go-to synth for fat leads and other sounds, it seems like a bargain for the price. Since I use a Mac, I'd also be interested in any users who have downloaded the free librarian for it.

What other VA's would you compare it with? Thanks in advance! Tom :blush:

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tom:

You may wish to look for a used Alesis Ion, which I believe uses the same virtual analog engine, but has a whole bunch of real-time knobs. I still regret selling mine.

However, some of these units had a faulty part, causing them to have a drastically reduced volme. So make sure you try before you buy.

Regards,

Gord

I'm pretty sure it's a repackaged Alesis Micron. I think it's the same synth with a different look, released when Akai bought Alesis. That's what I remember from my research, anyway, I could be mistaken.

I'd compare it to a Korg R3 or either of the Microkorgs.

Yes. Same engine in Miniak and Micron. It's ok I guess. I'd save up for something a bit more useful rather than just buying it to have ONE more board.

It's not all that great and unless you're a complete amateur, you might find you won't use it all that much

I've played both the Miniak and the Micron and thought to myself, Why do people like these boards? Uninspiring sounds, lousy keys, and menu-diving. If I was in the market for a VA, I'd probably get a used SH-201, or maybe spend more on a Mopho.

You may wish to look for a used Alesis Ion, which I believe uses the same virtual analog engine, but has a whole bunch of real-time knobs. I still regret selling mine.

Much better choice. I'm looking to sell mine though as it doesn't get as much use.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

As previously stated it's a Micron in a different (and much more robust) package - not a bad thing actually.

If you're in the market for something like this be sure to try the M-Audio Venom, which I personally like a lot better. It sounds great, the interface is much easier to navigate, and the keybed is four octaves long and of much higher quality. I consider it to be actually playable - a rarity in this price range.

MAP is $499 but as with all M-Audio keyboards they're openly sold for way below MAP.

I didn't particularly care for the Micron, and I ended up with a Microkorg, which I continue to get a lot of mileage from.

I'm definitely more interested in the Mopho, but part of the appeal of these cheap mini-synths is the cheapness. I mean $300-$400 is realatively painless (compared to most keyboard purchases), while $800 for a Mopho is real money.

And in terms of versatility, the little VA's cover much more ground than the MOPHO.

I think you would get more use out of an Arturia Laboratory LINK

Of course you would need a laptop, but nearly everyone has one already these days.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I sold my Micron. Probably good for in-yer-face techlectrodubtrancehouse stuff. Otherwise, meh. (Kinda noisy outputs, too... maybe it was all the excess reverb?)

Anyway, Korg RADIAS is twice the price but crazy tweakable.

Toano88, you bought one, yes? Thoughts?

BTW, I have the Arturia Player VST: with 3500 presets, you're bound to find something useful. It's a preset player only, though. There's limited tweaking, but what you can tweak is generally useful. While I can't testify to their authenticity, many of the sounds are just gorgeous and musically useful. That said, there are still some stability issues for me in certain hosts. Of course, this is all moot if you are set on hardware.

If you've already got a Minimoog (lucky bastage), what sort of textures are you looking to add?

-John

I make software noises.

I like the Radias a lot! Only complaint is the where they put the I/O and power connectors on the top, you can't rack mount it unless you have lots of room in your rack. Other than that, the sounds are great and it is as you say crazy tweakable. I wanted something with lots of knobs that I could play with till my hearts content and it didn't disappoint. Its also a lot of fun to play via an axon 100 guitar synth!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• 2 months later...
I've played both the Miniak and the Micron and thought to myself, Why do people like these boards? Uninspiring sounds, lousy keys, and menu-diving. If I was in the market for a VA, I'd probably get a used SH-201,

:facepalm:

this thing has excellent sounds and for below 300$ now

with arpeggiator, sequencer, vocoder, drum machine, full size semi weighted keys it's actually great value.

BTW more lousy keys are on roland SH synths and menu diving you have still on many new yamaha keyboards.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BEZdBG5PcY

I was infatuated with my MINIAK when I first bought it. Tons of fun presets and [can't remember the name of their combinations]. I got it new and with a rebate = dirt cheap.

The vocoder isn't too impressive. And in terms of "punch" the sounds don't hold up against a real analog or even my Kurzweil VA. But it's still a fun machine. I would sit with it on my lap and goof around.

I ultimately sold it when the honeymoon was over. I just found myself not reaching for it and ultimately sold it. Although I did take it out a couple of times as a MIDI controller. From a stage presence point of view it was fun to jump over to this little board for a solo.

My biggest gripe by far was the display angle. You basically need to be looking right over it. There are folks on the yahoo groups who have make mirror boxes to make the display readable from a better angle!

Also check out Sound On Sounds review of the Micron/MINIAK. They basically loved it for what it is.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

Archived