Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is This Really Necessary?

plangentmusic

At least that's what my wife says. I have 7 other models (plus guitars and drums) but does anyone really need FOUR Jazz basses? Or as she says -- four of the same bass.

She just doesn't understand.

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/plangentmusic/

(Sorry, not sure how to post pics here. But the link has a small sample)

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two Jazz basses, one with rounds and one with flats because I want to.

I told my wife years ago, "I don't smoke, drink to excess, gamble or do drugs. I don't chase after other women or spend my time in nudie bars. I don't have a car that we can't afford. My one "vice" is bass and it doesn't take food off the table."

She paused for a moment and said, "You're right."

That was the last I heard of it.

Push the button Frank.

I told my wife years ago, "I don't smoke, drink to excess, gamble or do drugs. I don't chase after other women or spend my time in nudie bars. I don't have a car that we can't afford. My one "vice" is bass and it doesn't take food off the table."

If you play out regularly it in fact will put food on the table...

I have used this same argument with my wife and her only rebuttal is is we are running out of room in my office for any more basses. I have currently 8 basses, 3 of which are jazz basses - a five with flats, a 4 with rounds, and my Guild 5 (which is really just a jazz bass) with rounds.

Really, you can never have enough jazz basses! ;)

Oh by the way, that's a sweet collection of jazz basses Plangent!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

If you play out regularly it in fact will put food on the table...

I have used this same argument with my wife and her only rebuttal is is we are running out of room in my office for any more basses. I have currently 8 basses, 3 of which are jazz basses - a five with flats, a 4 with rounds, and my Guild 5 (which is really just a jazz bass) with rounds.

Really, you can never have enough jazz basses! ;)

Oh by the way, that's a sweet collection of jazz basses Plangent!

Is it your office or her office? If it's the latter then she has a right to say something. If it's the former...

Push the button Frank.

ken - your wife is awesome.

That said, I think I can one-up ya - my wife actually bought both my Ibey and my Traben for me. :thu:

Thanks Griff. Yeah, she is. She bought me (for separate Christmases) a Fender Jazz and an ABG. She remains the best thing that ever happened to me.

Push the button Frank.

ken - your wife is awesome.

That said, I think I can one-up ya - my wife actually bought both my Ibey and my Traben for me. :thu:

Thanks Griff. Yeah, she is. She bought me (for separate Christmases) a Fender Jazz and an ABG. She remains the best thing that ever happened to me.

Then, happily, I'll call it a wash. Yours is just as awesome as mine. :D

The funny thing is, I made a living from music all my life until around 5 years ago when the work scene in NY just died. But back then , I had two basses! lol. Now I have 11.

I have more basses than gigs on the books for the year.

But for me, these days, it's less of a career/job and more of an art/hobby. Hey, I paid my dues so I'm entitled.

BTW: those basses from left to right.

A parts bass with nordstarnd pu's. (Which sounds surprisingly vintage).

A fretless with a varnished neck and demarzios. (It's got the growl).

A new American Standard with a maple fb. (Sweet. So even throughout).

A Squier Deluxe. ( It's almost wrong how cheap it is. I'd gladly have paid twice as much. I believe they're better than the MIM Deluxes).

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

I have four basses I paid for.

No hardware war at home, my lovely wife gave me a Crown power amp to replace a dying Peavey amp for my rack (as a birthday gift a week ago).

(Note to robb: the CS1000X refuses to die and now works flawlessly at our rehersal's place, go figure... Now you know the story's happy ending :) )

Right now, I have 3 P-style basses and an Ashbody. If I see a bass I think I need or want, I get it if I can find a way.

It's that way because I don't have a wife or girlfriend, or much sense...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Is it your office or her office? If it's the latter then she has a right to say something. If it's the former...

Both of ours. To be fair the wife has been quite supportive. She bought me my first 5 string for my b-day years ago and last month while yard sailing she ran across a Fender MIM jazz bass and a Dean ABGC 5 string and called to tell me about them. Uppon my approval she bought them for me really cheap and I paid her back later. After basses 7 & 8 came home she then suggested no more for a while.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

The only time my wife ever rolled her eyes at me about gear was when my gear corner in the basement started to look like the backine at the Enormodome -- two 2x10s, a 1x15, a 4x10 and two amps.

Getting rid of the Hartke amp and 4x10 returned things to their proper equilibrium.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

After the two Chauvet 4 bars and the upright (hopefully, Bob will be shipping this month), I've promised the wife that was all for a while.

But those Peavey 2x15 700W mains would nicely round out my outdoor PA ...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I had this discussion with Mrs. Lug right before her birthday.

Mrs. Lug: Why do you need all those basses, you can only play one at a time! You only have 2 hands!

Lug: Thanks for bringing that up. I was going to get you a new diamond solitare necklace for your birthday but seeing as you already have one and you only have one neck......

Mrs. Lug: I'm begining to see your point.

Since that fateful conversation, Mrs. Lug has bought me the vast majority of my basses and has even delved into other bass related gear.

Lug is happy.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived