Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I dont like yamahas new offerings! Or Rolands

mikecorbett

I am still in search of a stage piano, I nearly bought a used S90ES from a forumite, but it didn't go through(Seller wasn't quite ready to part with it yet.) Then I nearly bought a cp33 from another forumite, and that fell through! ( Poor dude got quite sick.) So I get thinking, obviously the gods don't want me to buy either of these models, they want me to get something newer...

Naturally Ive been reviewing my options once more...here goes:

Roland RD700NX, awesome feel, nice piano, crap EPs , 55lbs :(

Roland RD300NX, annoying feel, nice piano, crap EPS, light!

Roland RD300Gx, alright feel, useable piano, useable EPS, light!

Yamaha CP33, nice feel, good piano, usable EP, limited functions,

not in production.

Yamaha S90es, nice feel, great piano, great rhodes, heavy,

not in production

hmmmm, yamahas new stuff

Yamaha S70/90XS really not great piano sound IMO, all the rest good, long board, lots of gimmicks I would not use. A tad expensive for me.

Yamaha CP1, too expensive

Yamaha CP5, good piano, shit interface, wheels?

Yamaha CP50, good piano, rhodes, no mod wheel, shit interface, tiny screen....

I feel like roland and yamaha haven't given us a class leader board yet; What I want is a Yamaha CP33B!!,

IMO this board would be lightweight (18 kilos, maybe 19), with an excellent action, excellent pianos, excellent rhodes and wurlies. It would also need a range of other sounds, organs, pads, strings, synths, etc. Good split/layer capabilities, plenty of realtime controllers. Id pay $2000 in a heartbeat. What about you guys?

I guess the S90XS comes closest but its I don't like the piano sound much personally. Its also big and heavy and has tons of arpeggios that I wouldn't want. And yeah, a little expensive.

I know that one always has to compromise, but the CP33B or whatever seems doable and viable, easily...so why haven't they?

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there are other manufacturers as well. A tip:

Make a list on what you need and want from your piano - weight, no of keys, type of sounds, no of pedal inputs, other sounds, price range and so on.

Then arrange the list by which of the features are more and less important to you.

Then you go to a well sorted music store and try the different pianos they offer.

I think that's a better start then which Yamaha or Roland should I get. The newest Roland or Yamaha synth/board/whatever I own is from around 1998 (Yamaha EX5r and Roland XP30). I'm not saying they make bad keyboards in any way, but for me I've found other products that suit me better for what I need from them.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

One quick correction. You state that the Yamaha CP33 is no longer in production. I can tell you it most definitely is. However, it's limited in terms of other voices, splits etc. I'd certainly check out the MOX8 - I was pretty impressed with it when I played it recently. But of course, it's more of a rompler/workstation than just a stage piano + other voices. It depends on priorities, as mr T points out.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I'll second (or third) the suggestion that a MOX8 would be worth looking at, though you won't love the piano sound (it has the same sound set as this S90XS, minus its S6 piano).

And outside Yamaha/Roland, you could also look at a Kurzweil SP4-8. (The otherwise possibly suitable Kawai MP-6 is over your weight limit.)

A combination of boards might work best for you. How about a Yamaha CP33 paired with a Korg Microstation, for example? Or Yamaha P95 plus a MOX6?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I thought awesome feel had to be = or > 45 pounds. I thought that is just the way it is. I wish it wasn't these Kawais I own keep getting heavier these days.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I thought awesome feel had to be = or > 45 pounds. I thought that is just the way it is.

In current products, at least, I think that's true. Though surprisingly, there were some older sub-30-pound Casio models that I thought felt quite nice. I don't like their current actions as much.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

One quick correction. You state that the Yamaha CP33 is no longer in production. I can tell you it most definitely is.

Not sure what source you have for your information, Aidan, but I just got confirmation from Yamaha Canada that the CP33 is definitely not a production item. There may be some remaining stock in the UK, but Yamaha is absolutely not making these items any more.

One quick correction. You state that the Yamaha CP33 is no longer in production. I can tell you it most definitely is.

Not sure what source you have for your information, Aidan, but I just got confirmation from Yamaha Canada that the CP33 is definitely not a production item. There may be some remaining stock in the UK, but Yamaha is absolutely not making these items any more.

CP33 Not in production, but still in stock for the time being!

Here for the gear.

Sorry guys, I based it on the statement from Yamaha at the time of the CP1/5/50 introduction that the CP300 and 33 would continue as part of the line, not be replaced by the newcomers. Still, as Dana points out, there shouldn't be a problem getting hold of one right now if that's what the OP decides he really wants.

He should bear in mind, though, that the controller facilities are pretty basic (two-digit display doesn't help either) and that the range of non-piano sounds is pretty limited.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

From the keybed desired, the quality of pianos/eps needed, and control requirements listed it would seem that getting the whole package in under 19 Kilos (approx 42 pounds) is quite a challenge. There a couple of options in the $4000 street price range, one being around 42 pounds, the other in the mid 50's. But you did mention the S90XS as being rather expensive, so we'll stay around the $2000 or less price point.

For the most part, Mike, I agree with your assessments of the keyboards you listed; with one exception, which I'll get to in a moment. The MOX8 just about has what you're looking for, but it lacks in having a dedicated, digital piano voice; if they'd only included the S700 piano, or a larger CFS III sample with additional DSP, that would have made this graded action 88 a 'must have'. As you've mentioned the CP33 (and an envisioned CP33B), another potential contender in that price range (or slightly less) is the Casio PX-3. That one has been a solution for a number of players. The keybed, while 'lighter' that the CP33, still offers excellent feel. A little slim with regard to 'plenty of real time controllers', but still very viable. Plus it's about 24 pounds. If you want lots o' knobs, buttons, sliders, etc. you could add a dedicated piece of hardware.

Back in the $2000 range, you could find a Kurzweil PC3X. That would do the job well, but it is 54 pounds.

Speaking of the weight issue: as you'd shown a lot of interest in the S90ES, I'm wondering if the weight really is a deal breaker here. I would've loved to have the weight of an MOX8 (though with the desired DP voices) throughout the years I played an S90ES; but the S90ES is still a monster keyboard, the S700 pianos are highly playable and sound great. Looking for another S90ES could be worth considering. Also I noticed that the RD-700NX received high marks in your evaluation, except for the EP's. The RD is a highly programmable instrument though, especially with regard to the pianos and electric pianos. The basic, front panel controls can change the tone a lot. If you dig a little deeper into the menu, the piano and EP voices can be tweaked at the model level: Rhodes tine characteristics, piano hammer hardness, cabinet resonance, to name but a few. Super easy, almost intuitive to program; a monster controller, too. Worth a look if weight is negotiable. After a decade of carting S90's, I've resigned myself to the 50-55 pound schlep, PITA that it is. As always, though, YMMV.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'll second (or third) the suggestion that a MOX8 would be worth looking at, though you won't love the piano sound (it has the same sound set as this S90XS, minus its S6 piano).....

I didn't know that the S90XS even featured a non-S6 piano. The MOX8 piano ("Full Concert Grand") reminds me of the Motif-XS pianos. I did not know the S90XS contained this, as well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Mike is sure being gutsy by speaking his mind here! However,I do tend to agree with some of his assesments.

I am with him in regard to appreciating the Yamaha CP33. I actually have a Yamaha Nocturne ( same sound engine) and it works amazingly well for me at home. I like the way they voiced it...it has a nice clarity, so any time I play a CP33 it sounds and feels familiar.

Why the heck Yamaha didn't put a better electric piano in the Nocturne or CP33 is beyond me.

And, I also like the Roland RD300GX. I probably prefer the action on the 300GX to even the Yamaha, but now Roland has done away with that, in favor of a new Ivory feel on the 300NX.

They also did away with the Stage EP 1 Rhodes sound, which I thought was too bad. Some say it doesn't "cut in the mix" but I never found that to be the case. It is very warm and musical to me. I like to use it with the fretless bass split, and bass 101, which sounds like an early Stevie Wonder bass patch. Nice to have in a lightweight 88 weighted key board.

I am back and forth between the Rolland 300GX acoustic and the CP33 acoustic. In some ways they seem similar, except that the 300GX has a lot more control over low end EQ, which I find useful.

It is pretty obvious that the 300GX has the edge over the CP33 in regard to the EP's. I also like the 300GX Wurli.

The only thing that might sway me that is out is the Yamaha CP5. I like the EP's on those ( very authentic) but I am so hooked on the 300GX Stage Electric piano sound that it would be tough to cut it loose.

The MOX8 piano ("Full Concert Grand") reminds me of the Motif-XS pianos. I did not know the S90XS contained this, as well.

Yes... the MOX8, S90XS, Motif XS, and Motif Rack XS all include the same sounds, including that same piano sound. In addition, the S90XS adds the additional high quality S6 piano sound that the others lack; and the Motif XS has RAM into which additional sounds can be loaded, piano and otherwise... I never looked into that in detail.

Bummer I like to pick up stuff on close out but the CP33 haven't been price slashed. I like to get keyboards when they go out of production. I got my MP-5 for around $800 when it went out of production. I would pay $650-$750 for a CP33.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Many U.S. retailers are still selling the CP33.

"Selling" does not equal "in production".

Yes, but the point is that the OP can still buy one new.

Actually, I cant find one in Calgary! Just CP50s...

I'll second (or third) the suggestion that a MOX8 would be worth looking at, though you won't love the piano sound (it has the same sound set as this S90XS, minus its S6 piano).....

I didn't know that the S90XS even featured a non-S6 piano. The MOX8 piano ("Full Concert Grand") reminds me of the Motif-XS pianos. I did not know the S90XS contained this, as well.

The MOX8 contains the same soundset as the Yamaha Motif XS. I have tested it fairly extensively and I actually like the piano sound; it IS offered in the S90XS, and to me would be my first choice above the new S6 piano were I to go with that board! The deal breaker for me with the MOX8 is twofold: Keybed and Controllers. Two areas in which my old MO8 scored highly. They took a step backward in these areas with the MOX8 IMO. I just cant live with that keybed.

I would humbly submit the Kurzweil SP4-8 for your consideration.

Its sounds are taken directly from our PC3 line.

http://kurzweil.com/Product.php?id=215

Click on the AUDIO tab in the middle of the page to hear some demos of individual instrument sounds.

It's got a nice variety of ac pianos and is very strong in the vintage keys dept. It's also got our KB3 organ emulator as well as our VA synth sounds.

In a few days we'll be releasing a new OS along with 64 additional sounds for free download. (More "keyboard" type sounds - organs, EPs, Mellotrons, synths, ac pianos, etc)

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have questions or need help finding a dealer. davew@ycrdi.com

From the keybed desired, the quality of pianos/eps needed, and control requirements listed it would seem that getting the whole package in under 19 Kilos (approx 42 pounds) is quite a challenge...

Yet they managed to do it with the CP33. In fairness the CP50 isnt too bad price and weight wise, and the keybed and sounds are very good. Just a wack implementation of controllers, interface, lost a mod wheel and that horrible little screen. Gimme the MO8 screen once more! AGh.

Regarding S90ES, I would schlep if I had to, and I would pay over $2000 if I had to, its just that for what I want I think it could be done cheaper and lighter, ALA CP50 without the errors.

Perhaps I should retitle the thread, ¨I nearly love the CP50 but...¨

I can accept compromises, nothings perfect, but I just feel like they have all missed the mark a bit TOO much with this round of boards.

Sidenote: Nord stage, I owned the original. Playing organs on weifhted aint fun and the pianos didnt work in mono, live. sold.

Kurzweil PC3X. Piano sound, schlep factor arent as good as competition and the new revision is seriously expensive in my local store. I tried it and thought the action on every other board was better.

Nor Piano, no layering, no controllers...

so there we go...

Perhaps I should retitle the thread, ¨I nearly love the CP50 but...¨

Indeed. Those CP's sound great, but the interface is a wee bit catywompus.

If you don't like the original piano sound in the PC3X, then that particular keyboard, and its 'update'- as you stated - the PC3K8 would likely not work for you. Plus the PC3K8 sounds a little high, price-wise, for what you're planning to spend.

Dave Weiser's suggestion, the SP4-8, would be worth a listen. There are many, new sounds not found on the PC3 series; plus that new soundbank he mentioned is intriguing. There are some new pianos that I suspect you'd find more to your liking. I played one at NAMM and liked it a lot.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My anectodal 0.02 from most recent larger gig - was forced to use the triple-strike piano in my old K2600X earlier this month as Ivory / Mainstage was farting, the Kurz was warmer than my PX3, and also head and shoulders above my old MP4...and of course the pre-ordered Kronos 73 won't be released until September.

Used my PC361 for top board, my two Acme Low B1s for onstage and the house had nice Meyer cabinets.

I had a number of musicians I trust comment after the gig how realistic, warm and present my piano sounded through the house - in the room, in the lobby, outside in the street.

Now, I have no intention of gigging 75 lbs. of that purple beast again if I don't have to. All my small standards casuals work is my PX3 (which sounds very nice through the Acmes for small quartet work). And I'm not cancelling my Kronos pre-order.

But again I'm surprised by the audience response to Kurzweil's much-maligned triple strike patch.

Archived