Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Science Fiction Sounding Stuff

simpleman3441

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's actually two of these guys, Woody up above, and a guy named Joe Pompai from Mass, they both kind of did it at the same time and filed two patent apps. It looks like Pompai won, since his company, Holosonics, is alive and well. I can't find much new on Woody. His original sound patent had run out when this all happened about nine years ago and most of the hype articles on Woody's stuff are pretty dated.
Want a custom guitars for prices you can afford? Check out www.tsunamiguitars.com

roger waters was doing this back in the 80's, they called it holophonics or something. you can hear examples of stuff like it on your tv every day if ya pay enough attention...using delays and reverbs, you can put sounds damn near anywhere.

but this video is amazing!

roger waters was doing this back in the 80's, they called it holophonics or something. you can hear examples of stuff like it on your tv every day if ya pay enough attention...using delays and reverbs, you can put sounds damn near anywhere.

but this video is amazing!

EDIT: I did not intend to come off as snotty and condescending as the following probably seems- sometimes I don't realize how I 'sound'; right now I'm kinda too tired to edit it more arightlier, so take it with a grain of salt if you can and castigate me later if ya need to, alright?

I haven't seen this particular vid posted above, but from reading up on this, I don't think that reverb or delay have much if anything at all to do with it, I don't think Roger Waters has had anything to do with it, and it's NOT very likely to come out of just any TV's speakers on any given day at all, even with some surround-sound multi-speaker arrays; this is a technology for effectively 'shooting' sounds consisting of frequencies within the range audible to humans, carried within modulated ultrasound (sound frequencies above human hearing) to a specific location where it will be demodulated and rendered audible there and there alone, inaudible along the way between or nearby unless 'caught' and demodulated.

From the Wikipedia entry, Sound from ultrasound:

Sound from ultrasound is the name given here to situations when modulated ultrasound can make its carried signal audible without needing a receiver set. This happens when the modulated ultrasound passes through anything which behaves nonlinearly and thus acts intentionally or unintentionally as a demodulator.

Both Elwood "Woody" Norris and Dr. F. Joseph Pompei are mentioned in the article, among others.

Also, check this out:

BBC Radio 3 pioneers 'audio spotlights' in TV campaign

And search up "Romney whisper".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I thought what he was talking about was fascinating. But sound always fascinated me. For instance, when I play a CD in my living room, or sometimes when I watch TV, which is set up for the audio to play through my stereo, there are noises at certain frequencies that, due to the curve at the top of my walls and my satellite speakers being mounted toward the top of the walls, seem to "travel" along this curve and appear to be coming from behind me even though I don't have surround sound. What this guy talks about sounds as if one can listen to a recording of music that he can only hear, but no one else in the room can. And all without the need for cumbersome and uncomfortable earphones. It's all pretty cool!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Yeah- if you've seen the pieces done on this, you realize this is pretty weird stuff. They demoed it on FutureWeapons directing high decibel sound at a target a hundred feet or so away...and a few feet away from the target, it was inaudible.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

What this guy talks about sounds as if one can listen to a recording of music that he can only hear, but no one else in the room can. And all without the need for cumbersome and uncomfortable earphones.

Yeah- if you've seen the pieces done on this, you realize this is pretty weird stuff. They demoed it on FutureWeapons directing high decibel sound at a target a hundred feet or so away...and a few feet away from the target, it was inaudible.

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought:

These panels are pretty flat...but how small can they be made? I was just thinking that something like this could be used in something like a a Fernandes Nomad, but with better results.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/nomad/nomad-standard-.html

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Just a thought:

These panels are pretty flat...but how small can they be made? I was just thinking that something like this could be used in something like a a Fernandes Nomad, but with better results.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/nomad/nomad-standard-.html

Just curious- why? What is your goal?

I always thought the Nomad was a nice idea- a guitar and amp all in one- but I never cared for their looks.

Depending on the actual dimensions of these devices, there may be some engineering advantages- both sonically and in terms of what body shape could house it.

I always thought the Nomad was a nice idea- a guitar and amp all in one- but I never cared for their looks.

Oh yeah, him one fugly fiddle...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Depending on the actual dimensions of these devices, there may be some engineering advantages- both sonically and in terms of what body shape could house it.

But isn't this specifically about 'beaming' sound to a very specific remote target-location where it can be heard- there and ONLY there- and NOT heard by anyone else anywhere else, including any point in-between? Why would that be useful for a guitar, one that's little with built-in amp, or otherwise?

As I recall, these things had variable focus- IOW, they could beam OR broadcast.

If so, and they're

1) more compact than regular speakers

2) no worse sound than regular speakers

3) not too expensive

They'll do just fine for replacing traditional speakers in broadcast mode, and you wouldn't have to worry about the beaming ability. That would just be gravy.

What would you do with the beaming ability? I don't really know. I'm sure someone would use it to serenade their beloved at 2AM and not disturb the neighbors...and someone else would use it at 2 AM to disturb one particular neighbor.

Archived