Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grace Potter on the cover of Keyboard Mag

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm happy to see her succeed. I don't think she's an outstanding organ player or anything, but in this age of autotune and lip-syncing it is important to celebrate "the real deal" :)

An attractive young woman with a Hammond-- what's not to like?

Well I'm a bit annoyed about that issue.

Being a B3 player, I was really happy in general with the content - lessons from 3 different player etc. Well done Keyboard!

However, the two feature articles on Potter and Allman seem more than a little unwarranted to me. Due to these features I ordered the CDs (old school I know) only to be disappointed.

Neither album is particularly keyboard driven. Potters album could lose the background organ parts and not suffer in any way. It's a guitar driven album, and a good one at that. Great guitar sounds and production overall. Retro drum sound is great! Song writing is pretty good and Potter's vocal is the real deal - so nice to hear female rock vocals in the age of the 'little girl voice'.

Allman's album is not B3 driven either, Dr John gets a few features here and there.

These albums should have been either on the cover of Guitar Player or Vocalist (if that mag exists) ;)

Surely there's other keyboardists that deserved the cover more?

Is this purely a marketing exercise? Why are they featured so heavily?

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

She's on the cover? That's news.

Grace is on the cover of the May, 2011 Keyboard mag. And regarding DazzJazz's comments....I think what Keyboard was celebrating with features on Grace and Greg was the fact that they still appear on stage with real B3's. Granted, neither is the greatest B3 player in the world...but they both know their limitations and stay within them and have made some very good albums.

I think what Keyboard was celebrating with features on Grace and Greg was the fact that they still appear on stage with real B3's. Granted, neither is the greatest B3 player in the world...but they both know their limitations and stay within them and have made some very good albums.

This. And who's going to sell more issues, Grace or Joey D.? :idea:

Point taken.

I do think they're good artists in many ways.

I think what Keyboard was celebrating with features on Grace and Greg was the fact that they still appear on stage with real B3's. Granted, neither is the greatest B3 player in the world...but they both know their limitations and stay within them and have made some very good albums.

This. And who's going to sell more issues, Grace or Joey D.? :idea:

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Hi all,

The Grace story and cover was great fun to put together. If you see the video we shot (go to http://keyboardmag.com/may2011), she's a great interviewee as well.

To the cynics, I'll concede that someone as attractive as her draws more eyeballs on what's left of the newsstand than most people we'd recognize to be keyboard legends, and that in today's business climate, that's what any publisher in their right mind wants magazine covers to do.

That said, I think that she does deserve a cover on popularity and musicianship alone. Plus, someone as popular, talented and--yes--attractive as her could totally go the Katy Perry route if she wanted. In fact, she's probably getting a lot of advice from her handlers to do just that, hence the recently glossier image. But she's still choosing to put the Hammond B-3 front and center, thus putting it on the cultural radar of lots of fans who wouldn't otherwise know what it is. THAT is a Keyboard cover story, my friends.

On a different but related point, if you look at several issues of Keyboard side by side, you'll see that we vary the covers. One month might be a legend like Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, or Thomas Dolby (all of whom have graced very recent covers). We have Chick Corea coming up in July, in celebration of his RTF IV tour and 70th birthday. Another month might be a big-deal piece of gear. Another still might be a young, hot pop artist for whom the keyboard is central.

That someone is either playing keyboards damned well, or using them in a way that elevates their profile beyond us musos, is what all the covers have in common. At least that's what we strive for.

To those who enjoyed the issue--thanks! :)

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Thanks Stephen,

I don't mean to be critical, I'm just surprised given the content of her album. I've checked out some video and like her playing.

To reiterate - I liked the lessons in that issue.

Is my musical world enriched by knowing more about Grace Potter and Gregg Allman - you bet!

Cheers

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

She's on the cover? That's news.

Grace is on the cover of the May, 2011 Keyboard mag.

:facepalm:

Check the link in my original post that you (sort of) quoted.

Potters album could lose the background organ parts and not suffer in any way.
I haven't heard that one, but you should check her live material as well as the video interview Steve mentions. I've seen her live. She doesn't play keys in all the songs, but when she does, it's very cool and definitely part of the tune.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Check out the clips in the thread that I linked to in my first post in this thread, and let us know what you think.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 weeks later...
by Dazzjazz:

Neither album is particularly keyboard driven. Potters album could lose the background organ parts and not suffer in any way. It's a guitar driven album, and a good one at that. Great guitar sounds and production overall. Retro drum sound is great! Song writing is pretty good and Potter's vocal is the real deal - so nice to hear female rock vocals in the age of the 'little girl voice'.

Rock music has always been guitar driven, a fact or life. Most of the classic rock tunes I play in my own act are heavy guitar songs, and many of them really don't have any keyboards in the original music anyway. As a OMB, I'm "expected" to play something in every song, so often times I double guitar parts using a wurly sound that blends well with guitar oriented songs. At some point, we have to get with the program and get over ourselves as keyboard players. People come to hear a band because they want to hear great music and be entertained. Grace Potter is primarily a front person with a great voice that makes the band rock. Mission accomplished. :)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have nothing against Grace Potter being on the cover. I thought it was an interesting article and yes there are people follow music as much to see personalities as much as to hear masters.

One of these days I think that an article on the History of Hammond Organ in British Rock ( and /or Blues) would cover a lot of ground. Maybe too much! There was so much great talent.... Graham Bond,Brian Auger, Winwood, Jon Lord, Georgie Fame, Rick Wakeman and on and on and on.

I would like to hear more about why so many Brits seemed to gravitate toward Hammond. Well.... I guess you could be heard in a rock context, at least.

Anyway thanks to Keyboard Magazine for all that you do.

Can we have Harry Potter next please? He's magic. A real wizard.

Had to google Grace to find out who she was. Turns out she didn't even go to Hogwarts. Nice teeth. How come our teeth aren't as nice on this side of the big pond?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

by Stillgigging:

Nice teeth. How come our teeth aren't as nice on this side of the big pond?

There was a news story a few years ago that I heard on the radio about that very subject. It seems that you good folks on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean will use anything you can put your hands on to use as a tooth pick. That can be dangerous.

In American, we have rotten teeth that we cover with CROWNS, provided we can muster the money. :/

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

by stillgigging:

Over here we put them on our twats. Wait 'til you see where the next one's going.

I hear ya; that's probably a better investment anyway. Although a smile with rotten teeth might not give you the opportunity to use your twat for anything other than draining your bladder. :/

Stillgigging:

Your posts gave me a chuckle or two as well! :D

Here's to hard twats and white teeth.

Cheers,

Mike T.

I didn`t read the article on Grace but did just discoverd her on my own. Personally it`s just nice to see "real music" back on the charts. I also knew her as a guitar player origanlly but after looking into her more found great live material. Do I consider her a great Hammond player? No probably not however she totally gets the feeling and atmosphere the Hammond delivers. Personally I`m anxiously awaiting her future work.

As far as Greg Allman goes I don`t have many comments. I saw the new Greg Allman Band on "In Session" on A&E a few months ago and wasn`t really impressed. I would never "Dis" Greg Allman so I won`t but....I wish Dickey and Him would get back together. Theywere the Lennon and MaCartney of southern rock.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

Did Dickey and Gregg ever co-write? Not much, if they did, I think.

Personally, I don't think the Allmans have ever sounded better than they do now with this line-up.

I guess I mis-spoke. Thanks for the correction Joe. I guess I was referring to them writting on the same albums not necc. writting together. To me the comb. of both there styles coming together was great.

I saw them live on the 7 turns tour. One of the best shows I`ve evr seen. That tour had Greg, Dickie and Warren Haynes. "Personally" things seems a bit diff. now but that`s just my humble opinion.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

I guess I mis-spoke. Thanks for the correction Joe. I guess I was referring to them writting on the same albums not necc. writting together. To me the comb. of both there styles coming together was great.
Not necessarily a correction but more of a clarification. They definitely had a chemistry due to their different yet similar styles.

I saw them sometime around Seven Turns or Shades of Two Worlds and it was a great show, to be sure.

To me, they're more energetic and vibrant now than ever, with the possible exception of the original line-up.

BTW, there is a Grace Potter connection to this for me. I first heard of her when she opened for Gov't Mule here a few years ago. Most of my favorite music is connected like this. :)

Kinda bizarre there's so little organ on the record. I was hoping to hear some hip shit!
The songs had about the right amount of organ for the songs, IMO. IT seems like she's trying to make a "band" album rather than a "keyboard player wit ha backing band" album. I would like to hear her really tear it up on a rock cut, which she seems to do live in any case.

In any case, I like the album, it gets better with each listening, and rock needs all the good acts it can get these days, real musicians and real singers, no auto-tune.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived