Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Player Piano Keyboard?

CajunAzn

Hi I'm looking to purchase a keyboard that can depress its keys according to MIDI input, similar to how the Yamaha Disklavier series operates for acoustic pianos.

I've tried searching around on the internet and other forums, but all I can find are acoustic pianos like Disklaviers and conversion kits for standard acoustic pianos.

If anyone can point me to such a "player piano" keyboard I would be greatly appreciative :)

Price is not too much of an issue, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to buy one for under $2000.

Thank a lot guys!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Sven!

I'm not sure the reason for the face-palm, but that info was really helpful.

I assume the Modus line is pretty much the only ones on the market that have the "Moving Key" feature (or equivalent) right?

If that's the case, I think I'm going to have to do some really careful considering (and saving)...it's going for about $8000.

From the specs, it looks like the only distinguishing feature of this keyboard vs other digital pianos (in the $2000 range) is the Moving Key feature and modern design.

I'm not sure $6000 is worth it just for that, however I'd like to ask the opinions of others here on the forum. Have any of you used the Modus line? Do you think it's worth the price premium?

Thanks Sven and all

On a DiskClavier - the physical keys move because the mechanical motion is needed to produce the force that causes the hammer to strike the strings and produce the sound. The mechanism is impressive, but expensive to build and maintain. It really is a modern electronic version of the older player piano designs that used vaccuum and air pressure.

Most electronic instruments don't go to the extra expense of making the keys move, because the electronics can be triggered without needing to make the keys move.

Even most of the home organs and other boards that were designed to use as teaching tools for the novice use some form of lighting system to illuminate the key instead of mechanically moving it - due to the cost.

I could buy a lot of things with the extra $6,000 that I would prefer to have instead of moving keys. Not knocking the idea for anyone that wants that feature and is willing to pay the premium.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Hi I'm looking to purchase a keyboard that can depress its keys according to MIDI input, similar to how the Yamaha Disklavier series operates for acoustic pianos.

I've tried searching around on the internet and other forums, but all I can find are acoustic pianos like Disklaviers and conversion kits for standard acoustic pianos.

If anyone can point me to such a "player piano" keyboard I would be greatly appreciative :)

Price is not too much of an issue, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to buy one for under $2000.

Thank a lot guys!

If I might be so bold to ask . . . why? Why is moving keys a necessity?

When putting a mechanical player device on an acoustic piano, it part of the mechanics to create the sound, that the keys move. In the digital world, this is not the case, so why the need for it?

Just curious here, that's all!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Maybe the OP isn't a player, but fancies some background piano and moving keys to look at and impress? Maybe he's planning a haunted house? Oh I give up.

They had a Modus in the shop I worked at a few years ago, red. Lovely action and sound, but it would have looked like sh*t in my home decor. Definitely for a modern styled interior!

If I might be so bold to ask . . . why? Why is moving keys a necessity?

Well it's a not a "necessity" per se, but I have often found there is something mesmerizing just watching someone play the piano, especially very intricate pieces.

I think the moving keys provides another way to enjoy music, beyond simply the sound. But then again, maybe that's just me :)

To b3boy, did you have the Modus F11 in your shop (that's the one I'm considering)? When you say action and sound was lovely, how would you say it compared to the experience of playing on a grand piano. 7/10? 8/10? Vs. other high-end digital pianos?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Archived