Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

in praise of Greg Rollie

tarkus

We're playing a Cinco de Mayo party this weekend - some kind of benefit and Cinco is the theme.

I'll be alternating on bass and keys with one of the guit players.

For the last few rehearssals, we've ginned-up some latin themes for gig.

naturally - Santana rules the day. (But I did manage to slip in Life of Illusion by Joe Walsh)

While I will not be using my trusty Triton Extreme (which has some great organs - perfect for abraxas) I'll be using the guit player's cheesy Juno Di. :P

I spent a lot of woodshed with the old Santana albums and marvel in the simplicity and texture of Greg's playing.

The usuals - Black magic Woman

Oye Como Va

Evil ways

I spent a few sessions with Evil Ways - getting it right sonically and musically, I appreciate the accents when he ends that solo. The Di needed some tweeking and I think I got it to sound some-what like a cross between John Lord and Rollie's road weary hammond.

Hope You're Feeling Better

what a great song - just simple and dynamic. makes me want to rent a real Hammond for this tune.

Good thing I don't sing and play at the same time - the man was truly gifted.

I envy you Hammond owners because you get the full-effect of performing these songs behind the big rig.

As Thulsa Doom said in Conan: "Now That is Power!"

Happy Cinco de Mayo, and give yourself and your band a go with greg Rollie stuff if you gig this weekend.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've transcribed several classic Santana organ songs if you need help with any notes.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I know I've said it before, but Tom Coster with Santana was pretty BAD ASS too on organ. If you don't have it, just go buy MOONFLOWER.

The organ solos on Toussaint L'overture, Savor, and Soul Sacrifice alone are worth the price of the album. But there's more...oh yes, there's more.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I know I've said it before, but Tom Coster with Santana was pretty BAD ASS too on organ. If you don't have it, just go buy MOONFLOWER.

The organ solos on Toussaint L'overture, Savor, and Soul Sacrifice alone are worth the price of the album. But there's more...oh yes, there's more.

I have everything from the first til 1980's The Swing Of Delight, then the band went downhill IMO

Tom Coster was amazing on Moonflower, he also played on LOTUS, which is my favorite Santana live album (Sorry, Rollie)

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I went to Gregs site once and asked about his road rig and asked where he got it all? He gave me names, phone numbers of many companies. Told me where to get the best older Hammonds/Leslies and good newer and the best new ones. Then the best place for parts when I told him I was rebuilding a B3 and old Leslie. I was having problems finding bottom rotors and horns and he helped with it all. This all happened a decade and a half ago. Said to e-mail again if I needed more help and to send pics and a dvd of everything including me playing which I did. Hammonds are damn complicated pieces of furniture and you just can't beat a real old Leslie for either a clean or distorted sound. Now, you can connect them to anything electronic almost.

two G's :) Gregg...

Anyway, Jyme B.,

I too had a very positive experience communicating with him.

He came to Austin a year or so ago to see his son's band play.

I recognized him and went over to say hi. He was totally cool, accessible, and carried the conversation a lot longer than I expected or wanted to bother him :)

We talked about Santana days and Journey days. He ended up giving me an off site email address to send him my band's gig schedule among other things.

Not only a great musician, but I found to be a really cool guy who was more than willing to share knowledge.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Gregg Rolie fans will enjoy his 2007 live CD Rain Dance w/Alphonso Johnson,Michael Carabello , and others as they tear up Santana classics.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NrIs5FvcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

1. Jingo

2. Going Home

3. No One To Depend On

4. As The Years Go Passing By

5. Evil Ways

6. Across The Water

7. Give It To Me

8. Soul Sacrifice

9. Black Magic Woman

10. Gypsy Queen

11. Oye Como Va

12. Bailamos El Son

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

Gregg Rolie fans will enjoy his 2007 live CD Rain Dance w/Alphonso Johnson,Michael Carabello , and others as they tear up Santana classics.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NrIs5FvcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

1. Jingo

2. Going Home

3. No One To Depend On

4. As The Years Go Passing By

5. Evil Ways

6. Across The Water

7. Give It To Me

8. Soul Sacrifice

9. Black Magic Woman

10. Gypsy Queen

11. Oye Como Va

12. Bailamos El Son

Thanks acidolem, I have the Abraxas Pool record but didn't know about that one, i'll look it up.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Archived