Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Deep Purple Highway Star Organ Transcription Question

Polkahero

I'm working on transcribing Jon Lord's organ part to Highway Star and I'm not sure what he's doing to his Hammond C3 for six measures after the second verse right before his epic organ solo. For those who have access to the MP3 this starts at 1:57 into the song. Is he manipulating his ring modulator in conjunction with dropped reverb strings or something else? Not really sure how to notate this let alone how I would perform it. . .

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be some ring mod, but I've always just growled a slow two handed palm smear up to the start of the solo and the sound man added lots of reverb till the solo started! It might not be complete correct, but it is very doable in the context of a live performance.

Notation? Not a clue, as technically a glissando over requisite measures isn't entirely correct, but I think most would get the gist!

YMMV

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

While there could be some alternate effects, more likely (from what I can make out), he's moving up the keyboard chromatically in clusters of three semitones. With distortion, this gives the right beating between notes. Play and ascend your clusters with a duration of dotted quarters and you're in the ballpark.

Just as a point of clarification, Lord did not record Machine Head with his C3... He used a white chop (that probably had C3 or A100 parts in it). This organ can been seen in several photos on the album. Below is a live video recording of an early version of Highway Star (with Ian Gillan throwing in "Micky Mouse" into the lyrics). The organ had Jon Lord's name in black stencils on the back panel.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt3PIDER94

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Am I nuts... or is the guitar behind a beat for the entire song?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Am I nuts... or is the guitar behind a beat for the entire song?

It's definitely off at around 2:49, but the whole song sounds like shite in general.

I agree... this is the worse performance I have ever heard from these guys. Very sad...

So just to cheer myself up... I watched this... Now this is how I remember them....

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guYSU_mmyb8

I noticed in the video with Don Airey that he changes presets from the smear part to the harmony lead part on the lower manual. Any idea what drawbar settings he is using for either? What do you guys use for this tune?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

The only time my band ever played this song was when I had a DX-7, on which I used a patch called "Grinder" IIRC. Looking back, the part you are referencing was about the only thing that sounded fairly decent, because I was able to hold down the sustain pedal while doing the palm smear! :/

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I noticed in the video with Don Airey that he changes presets from the smear part to the harmony lead part on the lower manual. Any idea what drawbar settings he is using for either? What do you guys use for this tune?

I'm not sure that's what Jon Lord used for that song, but i use 888844000 and it sounds pretty close to me, but since every hammond/clone sounds different, start from 8888 and keep on pulling the rest of the drawbars until you get what want.

And honestly? why would you want to learn the exact thing he did on that solo, he never played the same thing live not even once. I think that's the fun of it, improvising. Anyway, he had a Maestro RM-1A ring modulator and some kind of spring reverb, i guess (Gibbs, maybe?)

Edit : and make sure you stop the rotors.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I agree... this is the worse performance I have ever heard from these guys. Very sad...

To be clear, it was cited merely for the closeup of the organ smears leading into the solo. ;):D

As a bonus, we got plenty of vocal smears too! ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

And honestly? why would you want to learn the exact thing he did on that solo, he never played the same thing live not even once.

This is true. Although there are recognised themes in the solo, which should be included,

I've heard probably dozens of variations of this solo.

Another thing that's not been mentioned is, regardless of what drawbar setting you go for

(888844000 sounds about right), the overdrive is integral to the Jon Lord sound.

For me, the best results to do that is thro' a Line6 pod XT - using the overdriven Marshall amp simulation.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

And honestly? why would you want to learn the exact thing he did on that solo, he never played the same thing live not even once.

This is true. Although there are recognised themes in the solo, which should be included,

Another thing that's not been mentioned is, regardless of what drawbar setting you go for

(888844000 sounds about right), the overdrive is integral to the Jon Lord sound.

For me, the best results to do that is thro' a Line6 pod XT - using the overdriven Marshall amp simulation.

I actually have the bass version of the XT that I run my '61 A100 through and then into my Leslie 330. Still searching for the best overdrive sound inside, there aren't any overdriven bass amps/cabs modeled but there are several distortion pedals simulated. Seems like a Tubescreamer would work the best. . .

I never thought to stop the rotors for this tune, glad I'm able to do so with the Combo Preamp III pedal that controls the 330.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Nothing beats the Made in Japan version, of course!

Just listened to that again, he does deviate a bit from the original!

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I actually have the bass version of the XT that I run my '61 A100 through and then into my Leslie 330. Still searching for the best overdrive sound inside, there aren't any overdriven bass amps/cabs modeled but there are several distortion pedals simulated. Seems like a Tubescreamer would work the best. . .

I never thought to stop the rotors for this tune, glad I'm able to do so with the Combo Preamp III pedal that controls the 330.

I actually own an old TS pedal, and the time we've invested in practice working on "Space Truckin" has included that pedal on the organ patches from my DX-50. Definitely gets in the ballpark.

• 4 years later...

I would like to learn to play this piece

i'm a beginner

does anybody have a copy of the music sheet?

i bought the "Transcribed" DEEP Purple greatest hits, but omits Organ / keyboard parts or notation

please help

a friend asked me to learn to play in his band for this piece

KORG Kronos 76key/ Triton Extreme 88key

Dave Smith Instruments PROPHET 8/NEO Ventilator/ROLAND V-Synth GT/ACCESS Virus TI 2/ROLAND Jupiter80

JBL Pro LSR6328P Studio Monitors & JBL Pro LSR6312P Subwoofer

I would like to learn to play this piece

i'm a beginner

does anybody have a copy of the music sheet?

i bought the "Transcribed" DEEP Purple greatest hits, but omits Organ / keyboard parts or notation

please help

a friend asked me to learn to play in his band for this piece

I've got it pretty much note for note. Send me a PM and I can email it to you as a PDF.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

You shouldn't pass it around unless you have enough for everyone. We're all gonna want this now!

HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

I love those "Making of " videos, but if I watch the whole thing I'll be late for work.

"Highway Star" is an incredible song.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

This isolated organ track really helped me hear what is really going on throughout the song:

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

This isolated organ track really helped me hear what is really going on throughout the song:

[video:youtube]

Wow! Listening to this gave me chills! Looks like my transcription is really close, just have to adjust a few rhythms here and there.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

He actually slightly trills the bottom two notes of the three note cluster as he crawls up the keyboard... If you listen closely you will hear slight movement from this. At least that's the way I have always perform it.

As far as improvising the solo, I believe that both the guitar solo and the organ solo in this song are considered iconic, and therefore should be played as close to the original as possible (IMHO).

Loved hearing the dynamic rhythm he played throughout. Never quite heard the exact pattern before, and of course I play it wrong. It really displayed his magnificent rhythm technique while comping. Love the little Gallup stutters he plays.

Regarding the white chop he used on Machine Head, I don't think that organ lasted too long. Jon needed more heft that only a C3 could offer. There is no way that he could rock that chop like he rocked a real C3.

Miss you, Jon!

Archived