Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90XS Questions

Killerloop

Hi!

I use a S90ES and a Nord Stage Compact.

Now I think about changing the S90ES to the S90XS.

Soes anyone has experince with that? -Of course because I searched an read a lot in this forum.

But there are a few key questions I really would be interested:

1.) What about the acoustic piano sound? Is it beter than the old one in the S90ES I really liked?

I heard that there are problems (funny harmonic sounding noise) in the deeper keys. about D1 or so. Do you know what I mean? What is your opniion?

2.) The real weakness of the ES for me were the brass sounds (the organs as well but I use the Clavia organ). I really like the Yamah Brass sections from the relative old Tyros 2!! a lot. Does the S90XS have this improvement or is it just in the newer generation Motif XF?

3.) What about the handling? The display is even smaller and in my opniion it is a shame. Maybe you do not need it in any case but of course at least the same size had been a must. What do you think??

4.) I heard that you need the computer when doing performances or multis (I like multi mode because it is like performance mode with at least 16 parts!!) at least EVERY TIME. e.g. it is not able to create a pad sound in the left split and a layerd piano with strings in the right part because you are not able to shift the notes more than 24 steps (2 octaves!)

How could this be? This should not be that difficult to increase the range. (it is possible on the external editor) Yamaha says (when asking about this feature) that in the US this feature is not needed and therefore the main market says no.

So did you find out a was to deal with that?

5.) So what is you opinion in controlling and playing this board? Are there any problems, disadvantages etc. I didn't mention? Because very often you see problems when using it for a longer period of time. Not just testing in the store. :-)

thanks a lot about your help!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
S90XS is fine. Despite what people bitch about around here the piano sound is not that bad. You really have to be very particular about the middle register, it seems that is what people bitch about. The display is not a big deal like anything else you have to get used to it. The biggest problem is it is long so that is kind of a pain in the ass. I really like the keybed after owning a S-90 and S-80.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I was just looking at the XS online last night. I'm about to buy a Stage Compact (an older one) and was thinking at some point I want to upgrade my S90ES, and the pricing on the XS isn't too bad, especially if I go for the S70XS. Like you I feel the organs are weak, but that's what the Stage is for.

1- the same S90ES piano is there along with a couple new ones. If anything, I think this will be better on the XS.

2- I don't use a lot of brass, but I do need it for some songs. I've created a few of my own layered sounds, combining brass, saxes, synth brass, to get a fat sounding patch. I also use the Sfortzando and Velo Falls patches. In the mix, they work well, even if they are not super realistic sounding when played by themselves.

3- it seems like the handling is easier on the XS. Functions you need are not deep in menus and often have dedicated buttons. Yes, the display is smaller but there are more knobs and buttons to control things. With my ES, I do all of my setup ahead of time and don't really need to access anything off of the display. Everything I need is assigned to sliders, mod wheel, or aftertouch. All my sounds are accessed from the Master mode, including midi control of my Electro when I need that functionality.

4- I can't really answer this- but if you need a split with a pad in the left and piano/strings in the right, edit the voices that make up the performance and change their octave settings there, if you need them higher or lower. I've had to do that on a few splits I have for certain songs I play.

5- I haven't played one but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Yamaha makes a quality product and I have no real issues with my S90ES.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hi!

I use a S90ES and a Nord Stage Compact.

Now I think about changing the S90ES to the S90XS.

Soes anyone has experince with that? -Of course because I searched an read a lot in this forum.

But there are a few key questions I really would be interested:

1.) What about the acoustic piano sound? Is it beter than the old one in the S90ES I really liked?

I heard that there are problems (funny harmonic sounding noise) in the deeper keys. about D1 or so. Do you know what I mean? What is your opniion?

Piano sound is very nice. I don't know about the S90ES, but it is leaps & bounds better than my old S80. On the C6 piano, there is 2 notes (D# & E below middle C) that sound 'boxey' if that makes any sense. However, someone over at SNinety.com posted an eq fix that seems to improve the problem, I haven't done the edit yet. I use the Rock Piano sound for live work all the time.

2.) The real weakness of the ES for me were the brass sounds (the organs as well but I use the Clavia organ). I really like the Yamah Brass sections from the relative old Tyros 2!! a lot. Does the S90XS have this improvement or is it just in the newer generation Motif XF?

Not sure about this, but again, much better than the S80.

3.) What about the handling? The display is even smaller and in my opniion it is a shame. Maybe you do not need it in any case but of course at least the same size had been a must. What do you think??

The display is a crime in an oversized keyboard like this. That said, I have gotten used to it.

4.) I heard that you need the computer when doing performances or multis (I like multi mode because it is like performance mode with at least 16 parts!!) at least EVERY TIME. e.g. it is not able to create a pad sound in the left split and a layerd piano with strings in the right part because you are not able to shift the notes more than 24 steps (2 octaves!)

How could this be? This should not be that difficult to increase the range. (it is possible on the external editor) Yamaha says (when asking about this feature) that in the US this feature is not needed and therefore the main market says no.

So did you find out a was to deal with that?

You do not need a computer to make Performances, Multis or Masters.

As for the ranges, I have never come across an instance where I was incapable of locating sounds where I needed them. It also integrates very well within Cubase, and you can control the internal sounds just as easily as other VSTs, and it can work as a basic control surface within Cubase

5.) So what is you opinion in controlling and playing this board? Are there any problems, disadvantages etc. I didn't mention? Because very often you see problems when using it for a longer period of time. Not just testing in the store. :-)

It is the center piece of my live rig. I use Master mode to control an XK3c & Fantom Xr.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

.....1- the same S90ES piano is there.....

Is this accurate? Seems I know of at least one dude who did not get the XS due to perferring the ES piano.:wave:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

.....1- the same S90ES piano is there.....

Is this accurate? Seems I know of at least one dude who did not get the XS due to perferring the ES piano.:wave:

The demo vid I saw the guy said something along the lines of there are 2 new pianos along with the same piano we used in the S90ES.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

How about a motif rackXS midi'd to a Casio PX3? Cheaper and lighter. I got mine together for $1,700.

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

I play the 90ES and I was under the impression that the XS piano was not the same. In fact, it's said to be worse. Because of this I decided not to upgrade.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

IIRC, the coveted piano patch in the S90ES is "Natural S Grand" (or something very similar to this) which uses a different sample. I don't think this is available in the XS.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The Natural S Grand is not available on the XS Motif, only the s90/70xs and the XF.
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

The Natural S Grand is not available on the XS Motif, only the s90/70xs and the XF.

While the patch names are similar (S90ES = "Natural S"; S90XS = "Natural Grand S6") the S90ES features a 53MB sample from a Yamaha S700 acoustic piano whereas the S90/70XS features samples from an S6 piano and a Yamaha CFIIIS piano. Below are links to the Yamaha web site:

S90ES Specs

S90/70XS Specs

So it appears the Yamaha S700 sample is not available on the S90/70XS!

- George Bernard Shaw

I've been gigging the S70XS for about 18 months and it is a killer board. I still have my S90 Classic that I've used since 2003 and it can still hang with the best of them. I've owned the S90ES as well on more than one occasion (sold off due to unwieldy dimensions).

What's funny is that out of the box, the S90 and S90ES both have a far better piano sound than the S70/90XS. You can get some good stuff from the XS, but it requires further editing/layering. I still enjoy playing the old S90 Classic piano over the XS, but believe that the other sounds offered on the XS make it the more desirable package overall.

thank you. What do you think about EPiano (Rhodes and DX FM Pianos)Clavinets (there were just a few but good on the S90ES) and special the brass sections?

I really don't like the Brass sections in the s90es but I love them on the old tyros2.

Not the solo Brasses, just the whole sections. Is there a big improvement?

Thanks a lot.

PS: I cannot understand that the new ac piano sound seems to be that bad. Worse than the older ones (many years ago!!)

But I think the Motif XS Piano is a big improvement over the older Motif ES one. So there are at least 2 usable pianos. Am I right?

thanks a lot.

Archived