Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

James Blake at SXSW

octa

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what he's doing musically. He pushes space to the point of there almost not being a song anymore. +1 on the Nord Piano, which is perfect for this type of music. Vocally, he needs to lay off the processing -- it makes him sound too much like Bon Iver.

Incidentally, that's Nick Rhodes' rig behind him.

I like James Blake. His music reminds me of D'Anglelo, if D'Angelo was white and on a massive amount of pain killers. I guess it's mostly his use of slightly off-kilter drum patterns like Questlove played on D'Angelo's Voodoo album. Blake's new album is great, but in some ways his music comes across better live than on record IMO.

I've heard too many good things about this guy's new recording not to check it out, but this was yawn-inducing. Anybody figure out why the percussionist is on stage?
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

I've heard too many good things about this guy's new recording not to check it out, but this was yawn-inducing. Anybody figure out why the percussionist is on stage?

Where exactly is "God's Country"?

God's Country is a 1985 documentary film about Glencoe, Minnesota, by French filmmaker Louis Malle. It is in two parts: in the first, filmed in 1979, we meet various people in the town; in the second, filmed six years later, we find out what has become of many of them.

The film is occasionally shown on Turner Classic Movies, and is available on DVD from the Criterion Collection.

The name of the film comes from the widespread belief in American folklore that the United States of America has a special status in the world as God's Country because it is metaphorically God's shining city upon a hill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God%27s_country

But I've heard it used by locals in different parts of the US to refer to what they feel is beautiful, untarnished land.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived