Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wurli + wah pedal

keyman27

I have a Vox V847 wah wah pedal. It doesn't seem to work with my Wurli 200 EP. I'm running a patch cord from the 1/4" out into the pedal, then from the pedal into my PA speakers. It works fine in bypass mode, but as soon as I engage the wah, I get a huge drop in volume and not very much tone. Anybody have a guess what's going wrong? The battery is brand-new.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Vox V847 wah wah pedal. It doesn't seem to work with my Wurli 200 EP. I'm running a patch cord from the 1/4" out into the pedal, then from the pedal into my PA speakers. It works fine in bypass mode, but as soon as I engage the wah, I get a huge drop in volume and not very much tone. Anybody have a guess what's going wrong? The battery is brand-new.

If it works in "bypass" mode of the wah effect and you hear your wurli, the signal is present.

To me, it sounds like your wah electronics are the issue, even the battery is new.

A.C.

Try another battery first. I've had that happen before with what I thought were new batteries. I eventually picked up a 9v power supply. I agree w/ Al Coda that it's most likely the pedal. Do you have another sound source to try through it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the output from the Wah isn't enough to drive the amp stage in the PA speakers. Try out from the Wah into a DI, mixer, or some other preamp.

Actually, most wah pedals are designed to deliver same output as input. If there were a serious volume drop from bypass to active on any wah pedal, and it was by design, no guitarist on the planet would buy that wah pedal, because it would screw with their tone at the amp.

The Vox page states:

"a buffered input jack for preserving the unprocessed guitar tone when the pedal is not engaged."

A PA speaker is expecting a line level input, not a guitar-level input; if he runs a guitar through the Wah, neither the bypassed nor effected sound is going to have sufficient level to do much at a regular PA speaker.

My guess is the buffered bypass is allowing enough of the original signal from the Wurli to get through.

I agree, if we were talking about a guitar signal into the Wah, you're absolutely right.

I knew someone would post this; probably should have elaborated and put the disclaimer in the original post. :snax:

Just tested same pedal and a Wurli 200a into a QSC K10 line input and it works fine (in fact, I got lost playing for about 30 minutes :thu: ). I'm still guessing something is up with the "new" battery or the pedal.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm going to try a couple things later today: I'll try it with a couple other inputs, and I'll try it with the output hooked up to a DI box.

I have a feeling it's just the pedal needs some work, or needs to be tossed in the trash.

Archived