Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

killer cheap clone

rockkeys

the prices for Korg CX-3's (version 2) have started to drop. I just grabbed one for $700. Disable the amp simulation and run it through a ventilator ($500) and you have a pretty killer clone. With the vent it sounds easily as good as the current crop (xk-3c, C2)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the prices for Korg CX-3's (version 2) have started to drop. I just grabbed one for $700. Disable the amp simulation and run it through a ventilator ($500) and you have a pretty killer clone. With the vent it sounds easily as good as the current crop (xk-3c, C2), in my opinion.

Fixed.

the prices for Korg CX-3's (version 2) have started to drop. I just grabbed one for $700. Disable the amp simulation and run it through a ventilator ($500) and you have a pretty killer clone. With the vent it sounds easily as good as the current crop (xk-3c, C2), in my opinion.

Fixed.

:laugh:

:snax:

$700 + $500 is $1200. For just a few hundred more, you can have a brand new Hammond XK1 and have everything you need in one, lightweight package.

Agreed. I actually bought my XK1 new, in box from GC, 2 years ago for $1200. They were clearing them out and only had 2, 1 floor model and 1 in box.

You can get the Vent later if you absolutely must have it.

I love my XK1, but I need the Ventilator with it. (Never loved its leslie sim.)

Agree too (despite my comment above)! LOL! My XK1 is the best $1200 I ever spent on keyboard gear!! It's the core of my rig. The Vent is the icing, cherry, ice cream, sprinkles, chocolate chips and crushed almonds on top! :)

Tuck has that combination and the Vent sounds good with his CX-3. I wonder if Korg will ever update it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Tony,

I thought you would have an XK3-c. Why an XK1?

I never had an XK3c. I did have the XK3 when it came out. Loved it, and was completely gay for the reverse key presets and everything. I thought it was a fantastic instrument, but honestly, felt the keyboard was too light/hair trigger for my admittedly heavy-handed style (gave me moreum. grace notes than usual!), and when the XK1 came out, I actually preferred its keybed, and by that time, I was tired of carrying the extra 20-some pounds of the XK3. Everything that I needed and tweaked was still accessible on the XK1, its sim was better than the Xk3 (but not good enough; at that time I still carried a leslie), and I honestly never felt I was stepping down with the XK1, that the options/goodies I was leaving behind were offset by the size and weight, and so I felt good about it. Still do. Im pretty happy with my XK1 all these years later, and I have it set up to play itself, and to control B4ii and Vb3 in my Receptor, but if I bring it out, these days, I always use it as its own sound source.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Tony,

I thought you would have an XK3-c. Why an XK1?

I never had an XK3c. I did have the XK3 when it came out. Loved it, and was completely gay for the reverse key presets and everything. I thought it was a fantastic instrument, but honestly, felt the keyboard was too light/hair trigger for my admittedly heavy-handed style (gave me moreum. grace notes than usual!), and when the XK1 came out, I actually preferred its keybed, and by that time, I was tired of carrying the extra 20-some pounds of the XK3. Everything that I needed and tweaked was still accessible on the XK1, its sim was better than the Xk3 (but not good enough; at that time I still carried a leslie), and I honestly never felt I was stepping down with the XK1, that the options/goodies I was leaving behind were offset by the size and weight, and so I felt good about it. Still do. Im pretty happy with my XK1 all these years later, and I have it set up to play itself, and to control B4ii and Vb3 in my Receptor, but if I bring it out, these days, I always use it as its own sound source.

Thanks, Tony, for the meaningful input. I am debating which Hammond to buy, as I've had three Hammonds in my past, and am missing the Hammond feel with my Nord.

I don't know the XK-1 .... but the on board sim on the XK3-c is good enough that I don't see that ventilator thingy being worth another $500.

But ... I'm still using a Leslie. I probably shouldn't

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

comic book guy, (i.e. Sven) what are you talking about??? I never understand your responses to my posts?! What do you mean by fixed?

Astute viewers will notice the In My Opinion clarification.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah but seriously, why even add "in my opinion"? Obviously it's his opinion. He wrote it. That kind of nitpicking gets old. Sorry, Sven.

Concerning the XK1 vs the XK3, I've been thinking of getting an XK1 myself for the gig with Janiva. I do not use the reverse preset keys, the second set of drawbars, or the tube circuit in this situation. Having 20 lbs less weight would be nice.

Oh. I see. You exposed to everyone that I changed my post. Congrats. You're a real winner.

Wow... you continue to fall all over yourself, don't you.

My point is that you're sniffing some serious glue if you actually believe what you wrote, that being:

"With the vent it sounds easily as good as the current crop (xk-3c, C2)"

If you actually believe that, you must be playing with your head up your ass. Given your responses in this thread, that theory is gaining more evidence. :rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Comic Book Guy

(of course, me being Comic Book Guy makes you Homer, you realize? :snax:)

Yeah but seriously, why even add "in my opinion"? Obviously it's his opinion. He wrote it. That kind of nitpicking gets old. Sorry, Sven.

Not nitpicking at all, and no apology necessary; I was pointing out that I (and most people with a decent set of ears) would find his statement about the CX3 being on par with an XK3c or a C2 to be... out of touch at best.

I thought subtlety would be a better approach; obviously I should have just called him on the carpet in my traditional style for making that statement... I'd still get the usual whiners claiming that I'm a dick, but at least there wouldn't have been as much confusion. ;)

If you actually believe that, you must be playing with your head up your ass.

Is this really necessary? What does it matter to you if he's happy with his rig? B3-er is on point. Stop being an ass to every new person on the forum. Not all of them are trolls. I enjoy your humor, Sven, but sometimes you cross the line.

In my respective (fellow Torontonian) opinion (sorry SG) - the Ventilator changes every thing - old Voxes, Yamahas, Korgs, Crumars, Aces etc. now all sound light years better with it. Extra cheese and all.

And for the posers in our group (self incl), old dogs like the CX-3 (first generation) look way sexier than the new all digital ("modeling") keyboards... So perhaps Coolio is ahead of the game on this one anyways!

Is this really necessary? What does it matter to you if he's happy with his rig? B3-er is on point. Stop being an ass to every new person on the forum. Not all of them are trolls. I enjoy your humor, Sven, but sometimes you cross the line.

Duly noted, D. Thanks for your input. :wave:

Well, I've played a CX3 through a real Leslie and it does indeed sound pretty good. I have no doubts it sounds good through the Ventilator, too.

Is it as good as the current crop? Nah. But that doesn't mean it's not a viable option.

See, now THAT is a perfectly valid statement, and I have no argument with it. It's light years from the wild rhetoric posted by the OP.

Duly noted, D. Thanks for your input. :wave:

I guess Chuck Leavall of the stones also has his head up his ass.as does Tom Koster of Santana, as do a large majority of touring musicians who use the cx-3 as part of their backline. I asked for a xk-3c on my last three tours and each time I requested a hammond I got a cx-3. Also, why are your responding to D when I'm the person you were totally rude to? Check this out.it's totally awesome! :wave: when you're rude to someone, you apologize to the person you were rude to, not to the person who calls you out for being rude. Isin't that fantastic! :laugh:

Archived