Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Vibe

dazzjazz

Not only was Stevie playing VV gear at the tribute, so was Phillinganes. :thu:

You can see photos on the FB page. https://www.facebook.com/vintagevibeepc

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke with one of the VV representatives at NAMM this year. He claimed to do all the voicing of the pianos (maybe there are others involved, I don't know). Anyway, he said even the Classics are very well voiced. He wouldn't let anything out that didn't sound great. But the one I played at the booth was a Deluxe with active electronics. It sounded fantastic and played great. He said it had the "L.A. Voicing." I assume the alternative would be "N.Y. Voicing." They didn't have the two sitting side-by-side to compare, but I really liked the LA sound.

Love the VV pianos.

Busch.

bump again. the lack of videos showing the VV's jazz and funk side is the reason im not jumping

Like I posted earlier and echoing what Dan said , I'm still not convinced it's for someone looking for that classic jazz tone like here, starting at 11:44 (definitely an old funky recording)

[video:youtube]

Every time I play them at NAMM the first thing that stands out is how much thicker the sound & tone is from the digital counterparts we all are accustomed to hearing and playing. You can feel that fuller sound in your hands.

Still if I had the dough , I'd get one. The newer demos on their site are the best representation they've come up with yet.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I think it's kind of perfect for me. I play electric piano mostly,when I am doing, for lack of a better term, roots rock and some singer songwriter stuff leaning more towards the rock side. When I do the occasional jazz gig I play acoustic piano or a digital version.I've always been more of a Wurly guy in that context, but I do not find them to be that robust for gigging compared to a Rhodes, and more pleasing in the midrange than the low or high end. What would be perfect would be an electric piano with the more roadworthy Rhodes mechanism, SOME of the midrange bark of a Wurly, but slightly more sparkly in the upper register and articulate in the lower register - like a Rhodes. I think this might be just that based on some of the you tube videos. If I sell my Rhodes Mark I and Prophet 08 I am 2/3rds of the way to the classic.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

bump again. the lack of videos showing the VV's jazz and funk side is the reason im not jumping

Like I posted earlier and echoing what Dan said , I'm still not convinced it's for someone looking for that classic jazz tone like here, starting at 11:44 (definitely an old funky recording)

[video:youtube]

E

Thats a nice Rhodes sound VV would have to use different hammer tips to get that sound IMHO. I have just gotten a VV 73 a few months ago and the tone is definitely not to my liking hammer tips are way too hard in the bottom resulting in a plunky wurlitzer/pre 70s Rhodes sound maybe this is what some people want

Heading to VV next Friday. Coming home with an EP 64 Deluxe , active, Silver Sparkle top. Not brand new, but refurbished by VV to be "as new". Report to follow.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

That is most excellent, Beethree!

I am looking forward to your report as I am planning on a trip to the factory and buying one of their pianos in Nov/Dec.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Certainly impressions and pics. I still have my Mark I set up in my studio, so I will likely be able to A/B them side by side through the same amp. My goal is to NOT have them sound the same, and in fact given the active electronics, of course they will be different to some degree. But I like the slightly Wurlyish bark I've heard from the VV midrange, and the fact that it does not sound exactly like a Rhodes to me.

My new standard rock rig will be VV and Hammond SK-1 through a Fender of some sort, and when required to provide more sounds, will bring my Mainstage Rig with either CP4 and custom wooden enclosure replacing the VV, or a midi controller of some sort replacing the SK-1, sometimes with a powered speaker or two replacing the Fender. Or something like that. Ditching my Nord.....

Just an update I put new hammer tips from RetroLinear (they make the most accurate 1970s tips) in my VV and the difference is night and day. Loads of character and response Still it sounds different to my Stage Mk2 because the preamp has a lot of tonal variation and vibrato.

Hope you enjoy your VV Beethree for me at least the whole idea was to have a portable Rhodes as I won't be able to gig with my Stage 2 due to weight..

Yep spot on tonewise. They are square blocks rather than the more common bevelled ones you get on post 74 Rhodes.

For the VV you do have to cut the tips a little (about 2mm) in the bass end (I did the first 18 tips fwiw and left the others for now as the tone is ok) as the tips are too large and strike the tine at a different point resulting in a muted sound.

There isn't much room for changing escapement (though I am experimenting with a shim on the left side) and strike line like there is on a Fender Rhodes (believe me I tried!). This is due to the way the lid on the VV works (i.e its hinged rather than coming straight down) so there is little room for manoevre there, but cutting the hammer tips is a better option than drilling new holes in the VV or risking the harp assemblies rubbing against the inside of the lid.

You can also get the CAE sound tips from RetroLinear too (I got them at the same time just in case the square ones were problematic).

When fitting them back I made sure I had the cut side on the bottom the retrolinear tips are rubber cubes.

When cutting the rubber its better to use a side to side action as just pressing down with a stanley blade/exacto knife does not result in flat finish and you can end up with a curve due to the compression of rubber...

• 3 weeks later...

I've had it for a few weeks now. No buyer's remorse. The last couple of weeks has been a crash course in Fender Amp lineage, market values, and dating, and I wound up with a 1972 Silverface Twin, with master volume, but predating the push/pull master volume that is apparently reviled.

While that gets spruced up, I've been playing it through a less exciting but still capable (and lighter!!) Hot Rod Deluxe.

So far - loving the thing. More playable in a physical sense than my Mark I, which has had the "miracle mod" and plays very very well for a Mark I. Does it sound as good? Hard to say as they absolutely sound different. The VV sounds more like a Rhodes than anything else, but it is sort of its own beast.

If your goal is to have it sound just like a '70's Rhodes, and the logistics aren't prohibitive, you might be better off sucking it up and hauling the real thing. But there are decided advantages to the VV: It weighs less than a Wurly, smaller footprint if you get a 64, plays like a new instrument, looks awesome, active electronics, etc.

If I have any quibbles (and as a card carrying message board member of course I do!!), it is the attack portion of the sound, when the treble is turned up (I have the active version)and especically when played lightly. The "clack" of the attack is too pronounced for me. I have not yet opened it up and done any tonal adjustments, and per a PM conversation with Orangefunk have ordered different hammer tips. I also have not messed with adjusting the pickup distances, or with the jumper switch on the preamp, which should change the tone. I've just been enjoying it as is. Again, this is nitpicking to a degree, but I feel that the tone can be further personalized to my tastes.

The effects loop in and out of the preamp section is pretty great. It allows you to hit any effects pedals with the non-preamped signal, and have that level unaffected by your volume knob. Then your onboard volume and EQ is applied post FX. In my case I am hitting a Small Stone, Wampler Compressor and a couple of subtle overdrive pedals, back into the piano, then going into Moogerfooger Filter and Delay pedals post preamp. This allows me to control how hard I am hitting the envelope follower or the like with my onboard volume, plus Moogerfoogers handle line level signal, so no worries about hitting the pedals too hard.

I have a pair of rubber "spanners" that go on top, with my SK-1 sitting on those. Both going into the Fender, and the organ sounds great through that. Need to watch the brightness on the Deluxe with the Hammond, probably less so with the Twin.

Pictures WILL be posted, promise.

Having sold my Nord, I now have 2 distinct rigs....CP4 with either SK1 or Mainstage rig through powered speakers. VV with SK1 through guitar amp. I will err on the side of the latter for a while, since it is new and exciting, but there will certainly be situations that call for faux acoustic piano. Of course, I could always get the VV midi'd.....but not for now.

I've had it for a few weeks now. No buyer's remorse. The last couple of weeks has been a crash course in Fender Amp lineage, market values, and dating, and I wound up with a 1972 Silverface Twin, with master volume, but predating the push/pull master volume that is apparently reviled.

While that gets spruced up, I've been playing it through a less exciting but still capable (and lighter!!) Hot Rod Deluxe.

So far - loving the thing. More playable in a physical sense than my Mark I, which has had the "miracle mod" and plays very very well for a Mark I. Does it sound as good? Hard to say as they absolutely sound different. The VV sounds more like a Rhodes than anything else, but it is sort of its own beast.

If your goal is to have it sound just like a '70's Rhodes, and the logistics aren't prohibitive, you might be better off sucking it up and hauling the real thing. But there are decided advantages to the VV: It weighs less than a Wurly, smaller footprint if you get a 64, plays like a new instrument, looks awesome, active electronics, etc.

If I have any quibbles (and as a card carrying message board member of course I do!!), it is the attack portion of the sound, when the treble is turned up (I have the active version)and especically when played lightly. The "clack" of the attack is too pronounced for me. I have not yet opened it up and done any tonal adjustments, and per a PM conversation with Orangefunk have ordered different hammer tips. I also have not messed with adjusting the pickup distances, or with the jumper switch on the preamp, which should change the tone. I've just been enjoying it as is. Again, this is nitpicking to a degree, but I feel that the tone can be further personalized to my tastes.

The effects loop in and out of the preamp section is pretty great. It allows you to hit any effects pedals with the non-preamped signal, and have that level unaffected by your volume knob. Then your onboard volume and EQ is applied post FX. In my case I am hitting a Small Stone, Wampler Compressor and a couple of subtle overdrive pedals, back into the piano, then going into Moogerfooger Filter and Delay pedals post preamp. This allows me to control how hard I am hitting the envelope follower or the like with my onboard volume, plus Moogerfoogers handle line level signal, so no worries about hitting the pedals too hard.

I have a pair of rubber "spanners" that go on top, with my SK-1 sitting on those. Both going into the Fender, and the organ sounds great through that. Need to watch the brightness on the Deluxe with the Hammond, probably less so with the Twin.

Pictures WILL be posted, promise.

Having sold my Nord, I now have 2 distinct rigs....CP4 with either SK1 or Mainstage rig through powered speakers. VV with SK1 through guitar amp. I will err on the side of the latter for a while, since it is new and exciting, but there will certainly be situations that call for faux acoustic piano. Of course, I could always get the VV midi'd.....but not for now.

Great stuff! I am still adjusting here and there... but its all part and parcel of a Rhodes (or VV!) I guess. :)

I have not got around to taking off more rubber on the lower mid and up to the woodcore as I simply raised the escapement... probably back to VV spec actually!

It is definitely a step in the right direction, I am sure you will love the new tips... the body of the sound will come back (it's actually enormous on the VV, I think those pickups are really picking up a lot of the fatness of tone) and there is none of that plink noise on the attack...

I still prefer my Rhodes 73..but not to the extent of carting that around to gigs. The VV is more than an adequate substitute!

Having not done much Rhodes tinkering in the past....I am a little reluctant to start mucking about, bit I guess it is a necessary skill to pick up going forward.

Deluxe active, refurbished by VV, good as new but at a nice discount.

Cool, thanks! Also, is the lid flat enough to stack a second keyboard? Are you putting your SK directly on top?

And, if the lid is too curved, have you considered the Ken Rich Wurli Stackers from Retrolinear?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I have rubber stackers directly from VV that fit this piano. You could also place the sk1 on top and it should hold nicely - but these protect the cosmetics and tilt the board towards me, which seems to suit me at the height it is at. Will include pix of these when I post pix. Hopefully this afternoon.

I also have a VV 64 and i put my NE3 directly on its top. No problem at all.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

As promised....with and without SK-1 on top and showing spanners. No idea why a couple of them are reversed....no mirrors involved!!!!!

http://www.philaiken.com/images/IMG_0737_resized.JPG

http://www.philaiken.com/images/IMG_0735_resized.JPG

http://www.philaiken.com/images/IMG_0758_resized.JPG

http://www.philaiken.com/images/IMG_0760_resized.JPG

Archived