Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your "antacid" when GAS bubbles up?

SteveC

I am trying to stick with my bass and amp. I know they are all I need. So far, so good. But you know GAS, it's always around. What do you do when GAS strikes?

As I was playing today, I thought my strings seemed a little dead. Can't remember when I changed them, so maybe I'll pick up a new set. Strings seem to make a bass feel new again. Do any of you guys have things you do when you get the itch?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I get tempted to buy something, I count all the instruments, amps, pedals, etc. that I already own. There are usually a few that I have forgotten about and that makes me think, "do I really need more?"

Of course the answer is always "yes", so the next step is to look at the bank balance.

That's a sure-fire cure.

Of course the answer is always "yes", so the next step is to look at the bank balance.

That's a sure-fire cure.

Amen! Works every time. Of course when I do have the extra cash it gets harder to resist.

If you need strings get them. New strings are a necessity except for me at the moment only the gigging bass gets them. The others have to wait.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

In reality I do a "pre-shop". This is where I look for something and decide I might get it. Then I go home. GAS usually goes away. If not, I do things mentioned above....
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I go and play a bunch of basses. That usually gets it out of my system. If I really love something and must have it, I decide if there's something I can let go of. I recently sold my Fodera. Had it for years but it never really worked for me. No regrets. Then I treated myself to some new toys.

With 10 basses, guitars, drums and keyboards, I pretty much done. For now.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

That's a sure-fire cure.

Amen! Works every time. Of course when I do have the extra cash it gets harder to resist.

If you need strings get them. New strings are a necessity except for me at the moment only the gigging bass gets them. The others have to wait.

What is this "extra cash" you speak of?

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

That's a sure-fire cure.

What is this "extra cash" you speak of?

Some of the money from gigs is usually put aside for music related expenses but with jobs getting fewer it's hard to part with the money for stuff. So these days I really have to need it or it's an unbelieveably good deal for me to shell out cash.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Some of the money from gigs is usually put aside for music related expenses but with jobs getting fewer it's hard to part with the money for stuff. So these days I really have to need it or it's an unbelieveably good deal for me to shell out cash.

Me, too. I have a "gig" account, but it often gets used for car registration, daycare bills, etc. There's enough in there to get something, but, as I am trying to tell myself daily, I don't NEED anything right now.

While we have a couple "steady" gigs, they are tenuous at best, so I have a harder time "pulling the trigger" these days as well.

I will say the EUB seems to have been a good purchase. Gigged it a number of times and aside from some stiffness (need to get in shape) it has sounded great and really takes our group up a notch as far as a more "authentic" jazz sound.

I gather 'round my lovely children....I gaze into their eyes....my heart swells with pride that 5 of them are in college....5.....yes.......5. I run, screaming from the room, praying for an easy death.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

My kids are required to pay their own way through college. One found grants and loans, one joined the Air Force, one went to art school and one is still 14 years old.

I am offically a prick from the sounds of it.....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I was required to pay my own way through college as well. I was the youngest of five kids. Dad retired and my parents moved to Florida when I was 18. I wasn't invited to come along.

Good times...

Push the button Frank.

I haven't bought any new equipment in quite a long time. Do I think about it, yes. When I do think about I also think about what I would sell to get it. I go back and play with or through something I'm thinking of moving and then realize why I bought that piece of equipment to begin with and then know that I really have what I need.

Steve, it seams like you've been doing pretty good at controlling those urges lately. You'll recognize when it is truly something different from what you have and the time is right to make another purchase. It seems like many here gave numerous reasons to help you with gas relief.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Well there's a big difference between players who rely on playing bass to earn a living (or even supplement their income) and guys like me who haven't played out in years and just play for our own happiness.

To me, music is a hobby. It's harder to justify paying one or two grand on a hobby than it is on a "tool of the trade".

Push the button Frank.

I really want a Squier Classic Vibe 50s P. I really don't need one. So yesterday I took my Ibanez BTB off the wall where it has been hanging for the best part of the two-ish years since I got my Fender Jazz, and realised I don't have any wall space to hang an extra guitar I won't be using.

I could use better speakers, and I fell in love with the SWR Henry 8x8 I am allowed to use during practice, so I am thinking of selling my own set of speakers and buying a Henry. This would be the wiser purchase of the two, although I always preferred buying basses over amps and speakers :)

Reality is, though, that either purchase would set back my budget too much and leave me in a slightly uncomfortable financial position right now. So I will probably do neither :(

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived