Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New iPod Mic Option

I just got the new Belkin voice recorder accessory for iPod. It snaps onto the top of any of dockable iPod ... has an omnidirectional mic and a tiny speaker for quick & dirty playback. I tested it yesterday and it works pretty well. (iPod software v2.1 required.) After ten years of recording my magazine interviews with a Sony cassette recorder, then another five with a Sharp MiniDisc, I think I'll make the make the switch to iPod. It's too convenient ... after recording, just snap the iPod into the doc, and up pops the WAV file(s) ready to do with as you please. Not bad.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed, 16-bit/8kHz mono WAV. Lo-fi, but good enough for recording lectures, interviews, etc. As to crash potential, sure ... there's always a chance. But in the hundreds of hours I've used my iPod, it hasn't hiccupped once. I feel no more/less confident with it than my MD or old cassette, both of which screwed up from time to time [knock wood]. Here's the blurbage from Belkin's site: Voice Recorder for iPod w/ Dock Connector Part # F8E462 Compatible with new iPod. The Belkin Voice Recorder presents a great solution for iPod users who have something memorable to say. Now you can record memos, lectures, interviews, or conversations-simply by plugging the Voice Recorder into your iPod. The iPod's abundant storage capacity lets you store hundreds of hours of high-quality audio. You can easily review your audio notes using the built-in speaker, your earbud headphones, or your computer. You can also copy recordings to your desktop or notebook computer for storage, editing, or sending to others via e-mail. Your Voice Recorder also works as a travel alarm clock. The Belkin Voice Recorder brings a whole new dimension to your iPod-it's not just for tunes anymore. Advantages • Works with iPod software version 2.1 or later • iPod creates audio files in mono (true) WAV FORMAT • Records personal memos, notes, and interviews easily, on the go, with high-quality, omnidirectional microphone • Features 16mm speaker for quick playback • Attaches securely to your iPod through remote/headphone connector • Indicates recording status of Voice Recorder with LED indicator • Requires no software installation, with Plug-and-Play technology; support is already built into the iPod • Packs and travels easily with ultracompact design; includes protective storage cap • Comes with a lifetime warranty

Now if only someone can come up with a way to add a 3rd track to it...say for a smpte or click track. I used mine the other day for live, just extra perc tracks along with the band, but it had to be mono, left click right music. 3rd track would be awesome, but am not holding my breath.
Raul

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]Okay, now what are you gonna do if the memory in that iPod takes a dump before you can download it?[/b][/quote]It's recorded to the internal HD so suppose you're taking the same risk as you would using a DAW :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I recently got the iPOD myself and I think I remember reading that you cannot pull files from the iPOD to the computer (so it can't be used to distribute copyrighted material illegally). Or was that restricted only to MP3 files? Something worth looking into if you haven't actually tried downloading from the iPOD to the computer.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I really want one of these and went to the Apple store to get one the other night but they didn't have them yet. You can transfer the files to your computer, they are treated differently than music files in that regard. Super 8, was that a serious question??? I wonder if there is a way to hook up a better quality mic?

Archived