Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ratatat

reidmc

Apologies to Sven if this band (Ratatat) was mentioned in a thread five years ago, but I just heard something over the weekend that I liked. Their use of synth sounds is a bit more thoughtful than the average electronica or synth-pop band, and they appear to be more interested in song structures and arrangements than dance beats and endless repetition (though they do employ a fair amount of the latter). No vocals.

The tracks I heard were from their latest recording, but I couldn't find full tracks of the new stuff online, so I link these (below)instead. The second video is wacky. . . it has a "twisted ABBA" vibe.

I'd be interested in comments from anyone that has followed this bands career, seen them live etc.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Reidmc! I like Ratatat, but I'll take minor issue with this:

Their use of synth sounds is a bit more thoughtful than the average electronica or synth-pop band

There are lots of greats bands doing really cool things beside Ratatat.

Also, after I listen to a lot of Ratatat it all starts to kind of blend together. They really do use the same handful of tricks and timbres that kind of define their music. One is the harpsichord. Another is those harmonized guitar lines sliding all over the place. Another is a kind of Suzuki omnichord sound. You'll hear them everywhere in their music.

That said, I still like em! and I agree, they are creative and put out some great music.

Good on you for starting a thread like this.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I've been familiar with them for a while. They came to a college near my town 4 or 5 years ago, and a lot of kids from my highschool went that time. After that there was a bit of a following at my school, so I heard a decent amount of Ratatat at peoples houses and at school. Its pretty cool music, but not my favorite.

Nice Reidmc! I like Ratatat, but I'll take minor issue with this:

Their use of synth sounds is a bit more thoughtful than the average electronica or synth-pop band

There are lots of greats bands doing really cool things beside Ratatat.

Also, after I listen to a lot of Ratatat it all starts to kind of blend together. They really do use the same handful of tricks and timbres that kind of define their music. One is the harpsichord. Another is those harmonized guitar lines sliding all over the place. Another is a kind of Suzuki omnichord sound. You'll hear them everywhere in their music.

That said, I still like em! and I agree, they are creative and put out some great music.

Good on you for starting a thread like this.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. There songs really do kind of start to sound all the same if you hear enough of them.

Yeah I got turned on to them by my son when he came home from college; his bedroom is above my rehearsal studio, and I could hear this stuff filtering down, and after an hour of it, I had to ask what it was. I wouldn't use it to navigate a long ride home from a gig at 4am, but I did dig it.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived