Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage Fright?

SEHpicker

DesertBluesMan mentioned stage fright (or absence of) in another thread and I think that would be an interesting topic to discuss... Do you have stage fright when playing in front of a crowd? If so, how do you deal with it? Does it affect your playing?

It's never been an issue for me but I've seen excellent players freeze up. Our drummer gets a bit nervous when we play a bigger venue and that results in a slight increase in tempo... but he usually settles down after the first few songs.

Does it affect you or a bandmate?

Just curious.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage fright sucks. Some people are born to entertain but for the rest of us it's a big hurdle. I'm getting close to where I'd like to try an open mic night with a friend who plays and also sings, but need to spend lots more time just playing along with him (versus solo) as I totally lose it if I miss a chord change - takes a while to get back to where the song has progressed to. Shoot, I played Santa Claus is coming to Town for just my family and froze! That's a step in the right direction though. In my case I call it "deer in the headlights". I should probably just take my guitar and sit in some public place and play, hey there's a great idea.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I've been interested in what causes stage fright since grad school, when the shakes all but ruined my masters recital. I've found answers in some very strange places... such as Ayn Rand novels.

I believe that there are two main causes of my own stage fright:

1. I don't know the piece as well as I need to in order to feel comfortable performing in front of an audience. I asked myself once if I would have stage fright if all I had to do was go up on stage and play a single note. The answer is no I would not have stage fright if that were the case... because playing one note is incredibly easy. Logically, then, one possible cause of stage fright is that (whether I openly admit it to myself or not) the piece is not under my fingers well enough yet. In this case stage fright is warranted and I might want to better align the difficulty of what I'm playing live with my current level of proficiency.

2. I care what the audience thinks. I realized in a huge "a-ha" moment while reading "The Fountainhead" that one of the reasons for my stage fright was that I cared about what the audience thought of my playing. My stage fright continued to get worse as I progressed through school because I wanted to be a better student and therefore began to care more and more about what my teachers and fellow classmates thought of my playing. Looking back, I think I had it backwards. What I really want to do now is go up on stage and play for myself... and just let the audience listen. It's scary going up on stage wanting to please/impress everyone, but if I'm just going up on stage to play some music the way that I like to hear it, there's much less pressure.

2. I care what the audience thinks. I realized in a huge "a-ha" moment while reading "The Fountainhead" that one of the reasons for my stage fright was that I cared about what the audience thought of my playing. My stage fright continued to get worse as I progressed through school because I wanted to be a better student and therefore began to care more and more about what my teachers and fellow classmates thought of my playing. Looking back, I think I had it backwards. What I really want to do now is go up on stage and play for myself... and just let the audience listen. It's scary going up on stage wanting to please/impress everyone, but if I'm just going up on stage to play some music the way that I like to hear it, there's much less pressure.

bingo

bingo

Amen!

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I haven't done very much gigging at all, but I have here and there, and in front of really small audiences and even a couple of fairly big ones. Thankfully, for the majority of 'em, stage-fright wasn't an issue for me.

Now, early on I used to get really nervous and uptight when about to play in front of anyone that might remotely feel like an "audience", and making it even worse, my hands would sweat PROFUSELY. I mean, RIDICULOUSLY PROFUSELY, like a faucet was left on; it was awful.

I decided one day to try a sort of self-hypnosis and biofeedback kinda sorta thing- SERIOUSLY!- and I vaguely remember closing my eyes and imagining myself inside myself, in still darkness, moving down unlit inner corridors to wherever the hand-sweating problem came from; after a while I seemed to "come to", as if I'd been unconscious for a while, and can remember absolutely nothing else about the incident. But to this day, barring hot and humid weather, I have never, ever had that hand-sweating problem again.

As for tensing up and stage-fright, I've virtually eliminated that by shifting my perspective via a combination of playing for myself (as described by dvuksanovich above here) and going into some practice-sessions with a focused, do-or-die "here we go, no stopping, full steam ahead" attitude as if it were a stage performance. On such occasions, stopping when a mistake is made is not allowed- only "playing-through", making a save and recovery and continuing to play. Going into such a mental mode before a practice makes it like mentally shifting-gears or flipping a switch that goes to "this is when we do THIS"; and then it's the same before actually playing before any kind of an audience, big or small- I just shift-gear.

The energy that used to be manifest as nervousness and feeling uptight is still there, it's just directed differently, more positively, even put to use.

When I strap on a guitar, I feel as if it's my "security blanket" like Linus van Pelt's in the Peanuts comic-strip; I feel better and more comfortable when holding a guitar, especially around others.

Recently, when playing in front of Reif's ("Bluesape") video-camera, I actually felt a little tense and nervous, but not even nearly to the point that I used to years ago before playing in front of an audience; not even remotely, not by a longshot!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Got over it years ago. Singing was always tougher for me than playing, still is in terms of confidence, but I no longer worry about it - I just give it my all. Some will get it, some won't.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

DesertBluesMan mentioned stage fright (or absence of) in another thread and I think that would be an interesting topic to discuss... Do you have stage fright when playing in front of a crowd? If so, how do you deal with it? Does it affect your playing?

The only times I ever had stage fright in my life, I did the old "pick a spot in the back of the room and lock in on it" trick. This solves two problems:

1) The audience doesn't see you staring at your shoes, and about half of them think you're looking at them specifically.

2) By looking at a spot, you can forget about all those people until you fall into your zone, at which point all those people don't matter anymore.

:thu:

I don't get stage fright very often. If I do its more of a nervous

energy. I like it. I play better with more energy and have more fun! Its like getting high with no drugs! Way safer!

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

No, never froze up and I think that, if you start out in a band with people you know personally it`s a big help. You are being judged perhaps by the audience but not by your bandmates. You know if you screw up you`ll still be hanging out later, laughing about it (eventually haha). Anyway IMO it`s really about peace of mind, whether that`s through meditation, indifference to the pressure or whatever. I`m here to rock this place, screw everything else. I`m here to be in the zone and everyone can join me. Having said that, well getting nervous, yup, still get nervous. But almost everything I`ve ever been interested in for a pursuit carries a risk of embarrassment in front of strangers, in fact that even describes my day job now. I think it`s that element of risk that makes it so addictive-if I haven`t played live in a while it`s like I start wondering if I can still do it, have I lost the edge? that IMO is the appeal of playing live whereas recording, well the potential rewards are there but as a process it`s two-dimensional in comparison. Screwed up? no prob, do another take. The only pain is financial.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I never really get stage fright, though I feel a little more nervous when there are FEWER people in the room than MORE. Huge crowd, no problem. 20 people, nervous. I guess because when it's a huge crowd, you know they all came out for you and will enjoy it. If the room is dead, I just feel more on the spot to try to get things moving, yet it's harder to get into with nobody there. So I end up way more conscious about everything I'm doing.

The other situation is if I'm playing alone - like a big intro to a song or something. If I make a flub I get a little flustered and tend to make more flubs.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I had stage fright early on when I sang a-capella, But by the time I started playing guitar, I was generally over it. The only time I feel a little bit intimidated is at home with one or 2 people in the room when trying out a new song. Once I have the tunes down I do not feel much apprehension at all. The larger the crowd the less personal it gets with me. However I won't go out without excellent preparation and I won't get on stage with someone else's gear. Once I am assured of my rehearsal experience and gear, I am just a workman doing his job, no big deal.

The only stage fright I've ever really had is playing guitar alone in front of my co-workers every year at Christmas when my boss wants to sing a few tunes at the holiday lunch. I've played similar work parties as part of a band and didn't feel that... I don't know why that is, probably just because it feels awkward and I feel kind of like a weenie for doing it (we both play semi-professionally, and the lunch includes a "talent" segment for anybody who wants to do something, and some people outright smirk like "don't you get enough attention, already,"). Other than that I've played in front of some pretty big crowds and get a nice natural rush from it.

As a child they couldn't stop from singing all day, in class, in stores, everywhere!

I have never had stage fright, but I've had BREAK FRIGHT!!.... nasty drunk over the top stimulated members of some sub anticulture lurking in hallways leading to the men's room!

Hahh! I kinda know whatcha mean, Lee!

And they DON'T start singin', dancin' 'n' snappin' their fingers like in West Side Story, either, do they! :eek::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I don't suffer from stage fright nowadays, because I'm part of a band and not really the focus of attention. Even when I play lead, people aren't glued to every note and can't wait for me to make a mistake...

Which leads me to wonder how classical musicians playing before super-critical audiences who have heard those same pieces thousands of times before and notice every mistake deal with it! Especially in competitions where, if you win - you have this great career in front of you, and if you don't, it's back to teaching at your local college.

Which leads me to wonder how classical musicians playing before super-critical audiences who have heard those same pieces thousands of times before and notice every mistake deal with it! Especially in competitions where, if you win - you have this great career in front of you, and if you don't, it's back to teaching at your local college.

It's awful... just awful. I was one who did NOT have a great career in front of me, obviously.

I've suffered from stage fright all my life. Getting up in front of the class to read something, playing guitar (bands, pairs and solo gigs) and doing magic (did kid shows to help with college expenses). It's not strong enough to keep me down, but I'm pretty much a wreck before the show.

A couple of points that help me out are: First, I know the stuff without thinking (I call it having it in my hands as if they're doing the thinking) -- muff the slightest bit of a magic trick and they point and laugh. Second, I try to think of stage fright as nervous energy that I can use and give to the audience -- I bounce on the balls of me feet a couple of times before I take the stage. When I take the stage, it's mine. Everyone wants to have a good time and the audience wants you to succeed. Let's do this thing.

I haven't done magic since college (30 years ago). I've taken some college classes post-degree and have had to get up in front of the class. I also have to occasionally give training sessions and dog an pony shows for business. And, of course, I'll play guitar until I can't play anymore. The stage fright remains.

Archived