Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wind sound on a Motif

JimboK

Hello all,

I google'd the snot out of this subject along with searches on Motifator, s-nintey, etc. to no avail. I am hoping there is a Yamaha Pro in the house that can help.

I am trying to get a decent sounding wind effect from my Motif 6. I have tried to create (edit) an existing voice but cannot find an existing sample to work with, nor can I seem to get a user defined sample to work for me. I have searched every voice in the unit with no luck.

Has anyone done this is the past? Any advice?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sampled noise (a noise source is the classic raw material for wind sounds) is wave #705 on my ES. But it's not a very good example - really cyclic and metallic. If you're not too picky you could use it for wind, but I wouldn't use it for the bandpassed noise sweeps that are endemic in pop music these days.

I found more usable noise samples in the Roland romplers the last time I programmed wind noises. It was for theatrical production. As Bill mentioned, #705 is nothing to write home about. Depending on the context, you might be able to do something with #738: Eery.

Typical treatment would be to send it through a LFO modulated Dual BPF ... then dunk it in reverb. If the samples are close but have some tonal quality which grates on you ... one way to give the ear relief is to pitch 2-3 of them at different pitches and crossfade their amplitude (maybe with the master lfo) in and out. For a really wild wind howl ... the ctrl delay efx are fun to use. Map the delay time to the mod wheel and sweep it. It's slightly stepped so you need to be careful, but it adds another dimension to the filter's howl.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Thanks for the input everyone.

Unfortunately, all the Classic Motif samples in the 700 range are all drum kit samples (smaller ROM, right?) and I found nothing noise based.

I guess I will plunge into sythesis 101, my issue thus far has been the lack of a toy to practice on as my Motif isn't exactly a great learning tool for such things.

I do have an iPad however and downloaded a synth app that gives me enough to learn the basics I think. (Music Device Product SAS-1. Monophonic Analog Synthesizer)

And hey, I have to do the wind/ocean sound in Wishlist by Pearl Jam. I think I found a preset to use off the iPad and will just muddle through with that for now... Until I get my feet under me synth wise.

Anyone have a recommendations for learning "Basic Sythesis" besides the basic Svengle-it solution?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

You mentioned that you did an extensive search for it on the Internet. Several years ago I was able to find a few websites that had .WAV files either for free or for sale. I don't recall what they were anymore, but I do remember downloading some wind, rain, thunderstorm, and a couple of jet airplane takeoffs for FREE on a couple of websites. The FREE .WAV files are generally pretty short, and if you want long samples you usually have to pay for them. However, they are not expense to buy. I am not that familiar with the classic Motif, but if you have SAMPLE ram on your Motif, you should be able to load .WAV files via a USB stick on your computer. You can assign a .WAV file to a specific key on your KB so you can audition each sound and compare each one. Google is your friend.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

You mentioned that you did an extensive search for it on the Internet. Several years ago I was able to find a few websites that had .WAV files either for free or for sale.

I've found some great sound effects online for free. I wrote a song called "Roller Coaster," and found a .wav file of a rattling "coaster" and some people screaming. Worked great.

:thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Unfortunately, all the Classic Motif samples in the 700 range are all drum kit samples (smaller ROM, right?) and I found nothing noise based.

Noise on the original Motif is wave #496. You need to run it through a filter (either lowpass or bandpass - with resonance if you want a howling wind) modulated by an LFO for your basic wind sound though.

This is a sound that isn't all that hard to set up - even on a Motif.

Archived