Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland KC-110 Portable Stereo Kyb Amp

Jazz+

Don't get me started about keyboard amplification, please.

Even the lamest keyboard presents like true magic through the right amplification. Take a humble Yamaha, Roland or Casio, pump it through competent amps, and people will always be impressed.

My rule of thumb? Spend at least as much on amplification as you've spent on keyboards, maybe more. It's done alright for me over the years.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've actually been looking at getting a pair of Alto Troopers for my mini rig. The midrange on all those 6s is really nice. The crossover is a little higher than most two ways, putting more on those cones. Even though they drop off below 60, between that and 120 is good enough. I like the idea of having the system as a few lighter seperates instead of a bigger all in one

E.M. Skinner, Casavant, Schlicker, Hradetzky, Dobson, Schoenstein, Abbott & Sieker.

Builder of tracker action and electro-pneumatic organs, and a builder of the largest church pipe organ in the world.

I bought one when it came out, mostly for corporate gigs. The 15 + 15 watts sounds like a low number but it's fine - depends on the situation, though, for bigger gigs there is usually a PA and you could use this as a personal monitor.

The light weight is a huge plus. The onboard Roland chorus sounds also quite nice on a Rhodes [patch].

Sound-wise, it doesn't differ much from the mono Roland or keyboard amps in general, despite being "in stereo".

The light weight is a huge plus.

Sound-wise, it doesn't differ much from the mono Roland or keyboard amps in general, despite being "in stereo".

L and R right speakers next to each other, with no angling and no processing, never seems to give you any kind of stereo. So then to me, the best use for this Roland is if you need something that will run on batteries. Otherwise, it is neither light enough (16 lbs) nor cheap enough ($469) to justify. The much better sounding (800 watt) EX ZXa1 is still only 19 lbs, and only $30 more. Or else, save some money and weight with a Behringer B208D... under 15 lbs, 200 watts, $179.

The only other benefit I can see to the Roland is that, even though you don't actually get any stereo effect to speak of, you are technically running stereo... meaning that if you're someone who generally plays stereo in your "bigger" rig, you don't have to worry about whether your patches will work when you run them in mono.

Though for the price of the Roland you could get a pair of B208D and really have stereo if you want it... the total cargo weight does go up by about 13 lbs, but at least you actually get stereo, if that's what you're after.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I do agree there are better battery operated options, including a few portable PA's that have a li-ion battery.

Oh, right, I forgot about things like the Behringer MPA40BT. I have no experience with those.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The light weight is a huge plus.

L and R right speakers next to each other, with no angling and no processing, never seems to give you any kind of stereo. So then to me, the best use for this Roland is if you need something that will run on batteries. Otherwise, it is neither light enough (16 lbs) nor cheap enough ($469) to justify. The much better sounding (800 watt) EX ZXa1 is still only 19 lbs, and only $30 more. Or else, save some money and weight with a Behringer B208D... under 15 lbs, 200 watts, $179.

The only other benefit I can see to the Roland is that, even though you don't actually get any stereo effect to speak of, you are technically running stereo... meaning that if you're someone who generally plays stereo in your "bigger" rig, you don't have to worry about whether your patches will work when you run them in mono.

Though for the price of the Roland you could get a pair of B208D and really have stereo if you want it... the total cargo weight does go up by about 13 lbs, but at least you actually get stereo, if that's what you're after.

DIY people could chop it, in half. This would please the 1/2 of people who want it to be better stereo and the other 1/2 who enjoy taking a chain saw to Roland amps.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

In the cheap/light category, the Alto TX8 is also worth looking at.

Unless you REALLY need batteries.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Prerequisites:

16 pounds max, stereo , batterries

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I had one of these maybe 5 years ago. i used it in a room about 20' x 40', using a digital piano and vocal mike. to be heard in the back of the room (about 30' away) i had to crank it all the way up. didn't clip (at least to my ears). it's fine for VERY small rooms. the sound is decent, and it has reverb .
robert w nuckels

Archived