Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using MoogerFoogers?

DanS

I just picked up the MF-102 Ring Modulator to compliment the RME.

At first I was underwhelmed, but after about half an hour, I was pleased at some of the sounds I getting running the RME thru it.

I am wondering a little about the connections though.

Obviously there's the audio in/out for a mono connection, but is it possible to use the Carrier in/out for a 'stereo' connection?

Don't wanna frag anything.

The manual assumes that one is a bit of a pioneer in analog synthesis.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use the ringmod and midimurf. Love them...especially the ring mod on a rhodes ala Chick Corea. I'm getting ready to order the low pass filter as well.
Constantly striving to measure up to the quality of my gear

I have had the low pass filter for several years and only just recently have I started using it live. It's a wonderful little beast. I'd love to get the others but have other gear that I should be buying first.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Independent effects, not chained like guitar pedals. The fidelity is too good to be used as a pedal.

Agreed, I meant chained together in terms of a modular system, not like stomp boxes kicking around on the floor.

Independent effects, not chained like guitar pedals. The fidelity is too good to be used as a pedal.

Agreed, I meant chained together in terms of a modular system, not like stomp boxes kicking around on the floor.

Ah, as in chaining together by control voltage jacks vs. just audio.

Guitar pedal rigs are basically modular synths too - most of them just don't realize it.

I had the ring mod and still have the lowpass filter. They are among the best effects boxes I've ever owned. The only reason I sold the RIng Mod was because a sax playing friend of mine really wanted it, and I have several RM's in my modular. I regret selling it occasionally, but when I hear the incredible sound he gets from it, I feel like it's landed in the right hands.

To address the OP's original question, the plugging the stereo signal into the audio and carrier inputs will not have the desired effect of running in stereo. If I remember correctly, it should make it into an octave doubler, by adding the signal essentially to itself.

Ring mod + phaser + tape echo on Rhodes is one of my favorite places to be.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I've played with the all except the MIDImurf. Great stuff. The analog delay sees much use when I mix live or in the studio. The phaser is fat and warm. The ring mod is good but I never used it much. The FreqBox is the most unique of the bunch and works great with the LPF patched afterward.

I recently picked up the 104z (delay) and 107 (freqbox) because they were both on sale. I'm only just scratching the surface but so far I love what I hear.

What's cool about the delay is that you have an IN/OUT for the feedback path. So I ran the feedback into the freqbox so that the initial sound is unaffected but every subsequent 'echo' is affected by the freqbox, pretty cool stuff.

The freqbox manual is way over my head so I'll have to give it another read, but it also makes for a nice pseudo-fuzz pedal if used with hard sync and all env and fm knobs all the way down.

I only have an LP without the CV out mod (which I plan to get) but the freqbox can also be used as an extra oscillator with the proper CV outs.

These boxes have a ton of potential and it seems the more 'foogers you add the more complex the possibilities become. I imagine that with an expression pedal (or two) or the CP-251 the tweaking options will be insane.

104z and MurF. I use them as pedals for now and hope to integrate them into something more modular in the future. But my pedal use is varied. Last week I ran the organ through the MurF on a live experimental jazz gig I do, and played the Rate against the rise and fall of the Leslie. Pretty cool.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I decided to heed some advice, and connected the RM to an effects send/return on my Mackie, so now all the boards can be effected by the RM, not just the Moog.

Sounds awesome on Rhodes & Hammond!

Archived