Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Origin of the term "rompler"?

Josh Paxton

Possibly a strange question, but does anyone know approximately when this term came into popular use, and where it originated from? I ask because back in the mid-'90s, before I had ever heard the term, I had the following conversation with another keyboardist about a particular synth:

ME: What kind of board is it?

HIM: It's a rompler.

ME: A what? Did you say "rompler"?

HIM: Ha, no, I said "ROM player." But I like that, "rompler." That's a good word. I'll have to start using it.

I then pretty much forgot about the conversation until I started hearing other musicians use the word years later. Now I don't think it's particularly likely that the common use can be traced back to that conversation, since it's a fairly obvious play on words that could easily have been coined independently by multiple people. But it's something I've always wondered about in the back of my mind.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's derived from "sampler", most of which had volatile memory and/or read from disc.

As ROM-burned samples began to change the industry's paradigm, it was a natural progression to create the term "ROMpler".

Sort of like how every scandal gets suffixed with "-gate", from "Watergate".

As for when the term first appeared, I don't know.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Na.

It's from Romper Room.

Well, of course. I mean, who actually thought otherwise. :P

That chick used to personally welcome me to the show, every time! I mean, how cool is that, right? :D

--Dave

Although I fondly remember, as a wee lad, the children's TV show "Romper Room", Dave's post makes me chuckle (as in.. entering a Strip Club and being greeted..)

(Although I have never personally ever been in a Strip Club--as far as you know. ;) )

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived