Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which is better for recording,Garageband,or Protools?

Technokitsune

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the market recently for Pro Tools but was surprised to find they have no support for 64 bit computers. What's with that?

I settled on a PreSonus Firestudio system with their StudioOne software. So far, so good.

10 in 6 out mobile firewire system, unlimited tracks.

DC

I was in the market recently for Pro Tools but was surprised to find they have no support for 64 bit computers. What's with that?

ProTools, at this point in time, is very old code, using long out-of-date DSP chips in their hardware processors. At some point they are going to have to catch up with the rest of the industry, rewrite their code from the ground up to run natively, & then maybe it will do what Logic, & a bunch of others have been doing for a while now. 64bit is primarily of use to people streaming very large sample collections in order to get past the 4gig RAM limitation of 32bit apps. ProTools has never been an industry leader in the virtual instrument/MIDI/sampler world. They've been playing catch up to all the others there, so don't hold your breath for 64bit PT happening soon.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Actually, they've had 64 bit drivers out for ProTools for a few months now. 8.04( HD and LE) is Windows 7 compatible for 32 and beta for 64 bit. However, I don't believe it is a 64bit version of ProTools. Only 64 Bit compatible.

I'm running 8.04 on Windows 7 64bit and it's the most stable version I've used yet.

Elliot Easton: "Mis Testiculos Esta Engorgada"

Running Kristal Audio daw(free) and Audacity over here.

No problems yet. (crosses fingers)

Results at myspace link below.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I used Garageband for about 4 years because I had very little money and it was either that or record to my old 4-Track.

I recently got enough money to get a new Mac and the full version of Logic. I found that a lot of things I was doing in Garageband all that time is making learning Logic a whole lot easier.

I would recommend using Garageband for a while because you have it already and wait until you know more about production to decide what application to use.

Rob Robitaille

hey,

Great thread, I am a Mac user (long time) a PC was never in our house until 2008 (late) been using Garageband since Ilife04 and Ilife 05 (so am using GB version 2 (I think Ilife 06 added podcasting + Ilife 08 or 09 has the stage and 09 requires a Intel Processor (Ilife 09 ships with current Mac's and a Ilife 10 is in the pipeline (as is the new Ipod Touch (that is free with Back to School Mac purchases now cool deal) the new one with have FaceTime like the Iphone 04(Video and still photo + features the Ipod Touch has (also Ipad getting a larger screen but getting back on Topic

I really like GB I am not a Pro and I hope to get a new Imac and Logic Studio down the road, I am content with GB V2 I bought the first Jam Pack (just called Jam Pack , non genre and no longer sold and was very lucky this summer online with a great Mac Shop

"GarageSale" online and got 4 of 5 Jam Packs (except World Music)

All new and sealed paid $20.00 for Rythmn and $30.00 for Remix

Orchestra and Voices (each) $110.00 + $4.99 shipping no tax (Vermont) So adding those I have a ton of Virtual Intruments to use with a Midi Keyboard and I use a Tascam US-122 USB interface for XLR microphones and 1/4 inputs for guitar (or through a Line6

PODXT, Vox Tonelab (desktop model) Adrennalinn III (updated from a II) and other pedals ELectro-Harmonix Cathedral Reverb, 2880 Looper and 2880 Foot Control, and Stereo Memory Man with Hazari

Few others twist things up as well a Boss Slicer and a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter

I use a Atomic Rector 18 watt 1x12 tube slave amp and the modeling devices can run through it (with or wothout other gear)

and use microphones or record direct into GB , I have Pro Tools Free as well as Abelton Lite (up to 8.1.5) Tracktion 1.0(got free) REason Adapted and of all I always come back to Garageband

Its easy to use, great sketch pad, can send small parts back to others, and Honestly Pro Tools Gear is expensive and if I get to be a pro level player I will let some one man the Pro Tools

I think Logic Studio (which used to be almost $1,000 and now $499

is a great deal and a great progression from GB or Logic Express (used to be $499.99 and now $199.99 and upgradeable(except the educational Version) and Mac's are so easy to use and Virus's are not tracking you down

But** Everyone has a program or programs that they feel confortable with and every one has a different budget

I do think Pro Tools (and my opinion) has resulted in "perfect sounding music" that bands can not reproduce on stage

I like for example Neil Young (Not sure what platform he uses ? tape) but his music is real (on CD or LP) with Crazy Horse as well He will leave stuff in that other producers, engineers would

bounce out or correct in Pro Tools or others (and Freeware is out there www.macmusic.org and on that site is a Free PC software site (and plenty more) Most Important Jam!

Sorry if this was (again) one long run on sentence oh well

ambienttales

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Line 6 Variax 500 & Workbench

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

Seynour Duncan Shape-Shifter

eMac

ambienttales,

When you are ready to go to Logic you'll find everything that you have been doing in GB through the years will all help make Logic a very natural progression.

Think of GB as a gateway drug like weed. And logic is like crack. Mac has a way of getting you hooked on the "free" stuff then the next thing you know you're in rehab making a pair of mocasins in arts and craft class.

Rob Robitaille

• 3 years later...

it all depends on you bro. Pro Tools Industry Standard. So just get familiar with it. I use GarageBand cuz it came with my Mac and it's free I also use Reason, Melodyne which I believe its better then Autotune and I also have Pro tools. It all depends on your budget as well. I have the 003 which I still can use with reason, Garageband, melodyne etc. the only thing the 003 does not do is control the virtual mixers for Garage, Reason etc. Most important of all Learn whatever DAW you use inside out and last but not least MIDI dude learn MIDI your life will change if you understand and master midi. FL Studio is also good but its not available for mac yet which alot of new producers use FL Studio cuz its cheap.

Take these steps

1. Speakers

2. Headphones

3.Mic and dont be cheap nothing under 200.00 Shure condenser mic is decent.

4.DAW make sure you research

5.Mixing counsel I like to work with an actual Mixing counsel, it's up to you.

6.MIDI Keyboard or like a Korg which can also work as a MIDI Keyboard or anything as good or better then the korg.

7. Sound quality it always comes down to sound quality.

8. Last but not least Max out the RAMs to your Mac as well as the Hard Drives as in buying the full capacity of both as well as external hard drives cuz WAVs and AIFF files use a lot of space.

After all that you can go HAM and create wonders, oh yeah Virtual Synths

In the US Pro Tools is the standard. In Europe it is probably still Cubase. I run Cubase but I have bought my last update. I'm tired of these PIA hoops to jump through on installs and being treated like a criminal in order to install the software I buy. I setup Sybase and MS SQL servers with way more ease.

My next DAW is Reaper. That is what our guitarist is running.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Pro Tools is absolutely the best platform for being in tune with the big boyz in the music industry. It is the Industry standard, although there are other great platforms out there Pro Tools is the premiere one.

Archived