Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Summer NAMM

88kees

Any one heard anything good coming!

Accountability..... Creates Opportunity!

Character...................Ability

XV88,TS88,FANTOMS88,FANTOMFA76,MOTIFESR,EX5R,D8B,prot2000

PX-7,MV8000,MC909,XK-2,DM5,KorgM3M

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally played that Nord Piano 88 (that debuted in Anaheim) today. Not bad. Nice sounds and good feel. I liked some of the "Upright" sounds in particular.

Not really expecting much else. These summer shows have fewer and fewer things to offer keys players it seems. I know Korg is not exhibiting and I believe Roland is skipping as well (although both will be there "taking meetings".

I took a listen to some mikes with potential by a new company named Miktek. They're actually built here in Nashville and I made tentative arrangements with the owner to try a couple out on piano in the near future. I'll report back when that happens.

I was just thinking usually a workstation comes out every two years looks like winter namm 2011!

I wouldn't expect a deluge of innovative new stuff hitting the floor right now. Our industry, like many, is quite slow at the moment. It's a wonder Winter NAMM 2010 was as big as it was to be honest. I bet NAMM 2011 isn't as good, though it's a little soon to start talking about it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I wouldn't expect a deluge.....

Just heard that the show floor is flooded at least partially due to severe thunderstorms. Set up should be even more fun than usual.

I just thought those two posts looked funny, coming close together like that. Seriously, though, I was thinking of making the trip over there on Sunday, and

there have been thunderstorms strong enough to cause flash floods rolling through. I'm sure the ground's still saturated from last month's floods. Have there been any problems there?

Dry in Mckinney,TX

Kind of a copy of a post I put in the "Numa Organ" thread but thought it should have gone here.

Played the Numa Organ today and it sounds pretty damn good. It was right around the corner from the Nord C2 which also sounds pretty damn good. Can't help but prefer the real drawbars on the Numa though.

The Numa piano wasn't bad either. I'm not the guy to offer comparisons, since I don't play any of the digi-pianos regularly, but I was surprised at how much I didn't mind both the Numa Piano and the Nord 88 Piano. A lot of realism in the sounds and playability. I also played a nice sounding new (I think) Kurzweil and finally touched a Privia (which was much better than I expected though not in the league soundwise of the others).

As requested, I went by the Lamplifier Microphones booth and talked to the guy for a while. They may be good for live, but I didn't think he had anything for me. His mikes have processing built in, compression, eq, etc. basically to make setup quicker, and to enable a less experienced sound person to theoretically get a "good" sound without really knowing much about sound I guess.

They are not expensive, so if you find you like the "pre-sculpted" sound of his mikes on certain instruments, it might make sense, but I didn't find the idea appealing.

Not a lot to get excited about in the keys realm as expected. Some interesting high end audio stuff including a number of attractive mikes and processors. Lots of guitar and drum stuff of course and a few interesting "meant for guitar but could work on keys" pedals.

As requested, I went by the Lamplifier Microphones booth and talked to the guy for a while. They may be good for live, but I didn't think he had anything for me.

Thanks for checking them out. Initially his intention was to develop a microphone that resisted feedback and I think it grew from there. Your description of where they would be most useful is spot on I think. It describes how I've seen the prototypes used over the last few years.

I think not.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah Mike, its nice to see you back here again. Stop by more often. :thu:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Good point Kevin. Thanks Mike!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I did get the video stream working today but there was no audio so I shut it down because the booth was getting too busy to mess with it.

In any case, I'll be doing a PX-3 "online clinic" using Ustream.tv very soon. Right now I'm thinking the evening of June 29th or June 30th At the Casio office - in a controlled environment I think I can get it to look and sound pretty good. It's interactive so everyone can ask questions which hopefully I'll be able to address on the spot.

Take care,

Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

That would be awesome, Mike. Those videos are archived for later viewing, right?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So, really no keyboard related news whatsoever this year? Must be the lamest Summer NAMM ever... :(

So - when is the next big event like this? There must be something before Winter NAMM, or...?

I have my hopes up that Nord will release a successor to the Stage, with improved organ and ability to load samples in the synth section as well... but that's of course just hopes, not based on any rumors or so... well well - Winter NAMM is only seven month away...

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Still, it's a lot less then we've seen from earlier Summer NAMM:s, right?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Archived