Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Biggest audition of my life

Gary75

Ok, so I don't gig much at the moment, just joined a band after starting uni with my lecturer who I had been in a band with ten years ago as the bandleader.

Anyway he sent a showreel in for a music show that's starting on Sky1 in August, and made the cut, he auditioned on his own initially and it's progressed further and further and they seem keen on the band, so much so we are at the end stage before the tv stage and have to audition as a full band in 3 weeks in front of the shows judges, one of whom is Jamie Cullum.

It's kind of turned the screw on me, although I'm playing organ so hopefully he can't rip apart my technique too much! I'm just nervous, very nervous! I'm trying to put things in perspective and if worse comes to worse I'll have had a great day out! What should I do to help focus and not get overwhelmed by the experience?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You (and the group) would not have gotten this far if you did not have the ability - as mentioned, get good rest before, go in and PLAY (as opposed to hard working - I'm thinking of enjoyment here).

The judges are human also, they have the responsibility of approving a group that will complement the overall performance, of which your band is a part.

In between now and the audition is the time to be very sure that you have your own part completely prepared, but don't over do it.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

You (and the group) would not have gotten this far if you did not have the ability - as mentioned, get good rest before, go in and PLAY (as opposed to hard working - I'm thinking of enjoyment here).

The judges are human also, they have the responsibility of approving a group that will complement the overall performance, of which your band is a part.

In between now and the audition is the time to be very sure that you have your own part completely prepared, but don't over do it.

I definitely like your play/enjoyment angle, but for important auditions I have always coupled this approach with over-practicing my parts.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Actually, I suspect that you and I would be about the same on not over-practicing. What I meant to imply is to certainly practice my parts until they become second nature; but NOT to go so far overboard out of anxiety that I risk physical damage to my hands and body.

I worked in broadcast TV (as an engineer) for a number of years. I'd vote more for a group that had a couple of minor errors but looked like they were really into what they were doing, than for sterile technical perfection (which I probably won't ever have anyhow).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I think your right, if I do happen to make a mistake I'm not gonna punish myself constantly. I just have to make sure I look like I'm enjoying myself, it's probably my worst weakness in performance. I do enjoy it, but I have this deadpan expression often, thinking it doesn't matter just being the keys player.

As Jon Lord (and many others have said), if you hit a wrong note, hit it again! You can make almost anything work by making it your own.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Hey, he stole that from jazz. :-) The old edict is if you make a mistake, repeat it, and people will think it's your signature sound.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

yeah totally. Get into it. PLus practicing until you feel physically sick of your parts helps as well. But usally I go for the maxim "what you lack in skill... make up for enthusiasm! (or stage antics ;)"

Good luck b3boy! [not that you really need it you chopalicious dude, you :P]

Nord Electro 3 -73 || Korg CX-3

Your right Joe, I'd have loved some gigs under my belt. I'll be going from zero to hero if I can pull my part of the deal off. Done about 5 gigs in about as many years, only because my health was an issue.

I feel like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon!

Hey, he stole that from jazz. :-) The old edict is if you make a mistake, repeat it, and people will think it's your signature sound.

The other old standby from jazz is "those aren't bad notes, they're passing tones". No such thing as a bad note in jazz!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Archived