Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Disappointment

MuzikTeechur

I'm asking, literally, about how many people really need a single keyboard to be split into more than four zones (i.e. instant access to more than 4 completely different sounds, each having enough keys assigned to them for them to be useful) at any given time. I mean, you can always hit another preset to instantly get a different 4-zone setup, do people really need 8+ zones at the same time? Doesn't seem to leave much room to "play" much of anything.

FWIW, I've certainly used 8 zones sometimes, both from my Fatar 2001 and my Roland XP-80, not to speak of various Kurzweils.

A practical example could be a two-way split (say, a pad and a solo sound), both made from two layered sounds from different expanders (or even fom the same engine, of course). That's 4 zones. Then you could have a special effect on the lower key, and a couple of more zones for a completely different layered sound, to be alternated rapidly with the pad or the solo sound via a pedal command. The 8th zone could be a reinforcement for any of the above, to be called in at strategic points.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[if you can describe it easily, what about the QS6 makes it the "best and easiest zone implementation" you've seen?

easily...no

but I'll try..

basing it on my Quadrasynth...its brother it has easy access to the 16 zones with few presses of the buttons, covers most if not all aspects of a zoner I need,10 digit pad very easy to use,and midi activity can be easily seen on screen while playing. Its age doesnt matter, if its working good, its working.

the QS6 has a smaller screen but access would be just as easy..by what I have read,

my obversations are based on some of the previous controllers i have owned..[ones I can remember]

Akai MX73...good 4 zone controller, has 10 digit pad, lacking only naming of songs,very bad keyboard though[shame].Loved the controller hated the keybed.

Roland A30, only 2 zones,no digit display, no 10 digit pad

usable with a roland modual and Gm,nice crisp keybed, limited patches

Roland A80, too damn heavy [still have it],a mans controler.

Kurweil K1000, good keyboard, 3 separate splits but no zoning across each split,limited split locations

Roland AX1, basically a Roland A30

Casio AZ1 , good implementation, no screen, only two zones.

Roland XP 50, not easy to setup zones, to much effort.hard to navigate live.[At the time I used it I didnt need to use a zoner as much so I didnt really get into it as a zoner because it didnt seem intuitive]unlike the Quadras.

If I dont come up with a QS6 I will look more closely at this keyboard as a controller, as I have it and its small and light.And its paid for.

M Audio Keystation Pro, heavy, crap 88 note keyboard, slider/knob heavy but computer orientated controller functions,this is a horrible controller, and was a missed oppertunity for M Audio..

oberheim XK controller [yet to get working/repair ...hee hee, new toy]

the Quadrasynth fulfilled everything I had been looking for in a controller when I was using it..I hope A QS6 now will do the same..

the most important point for me now.. is weight..if its too heavy I wont consider it.

And while those buzz saws are sustaining I have that submarine ping drowned in reverb ringing every 6 beats.

I'm no Floyd head, but the pings are every 5 beats. More specifically, they fall on beat 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Very clever of them.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I'm no Floyd head, but the pings are every 5 beats. More specifically, they fall on beat 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Very clever of them.

You're definitely not a Floyd head; they're every 6, as Ian states, beginning on the 1 of the bar after the lyric "and the worms ate into his brain."

Frankly, I'd probably have double-checked before telling the guy in the Floyd tribute that he's wrong. That's just me, though. ;)

Here's the YouTube vid to save folks time getting the song up themselves if they're in doubt... the part in question starts at 3:20.

[video:youtube]

You're definitely not a Floyd head; they're every 6, as Ian states, beginning on the 1 of the bar after the lyric "and the worms ate into his brain."

Frankly, I'd probably have double-checked before telling the guy in the Floyd tribute that he's wrong. That's just me, though. ;)

Here's the YouTube vid to save folks time getting the song up themselves if they're in doubt... the part in question starts at 3:20.

Thanks for posting so we can be sure we're all hearing the same version... I absolutely hear it as every 5 beats and can't imagine hearing it as every 6. Man, no wonder there's so many different opinions about things on this forum. We don't even all hear the same counts. How could we ever possible agree on a drawbar setting? ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interesting.

If they were as you describe, Sven, "every 6 beats beginning on beat 1", they would fall on

1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 .. etc.

However, if you listen to the recording that you posted, and start counting beat 1 on the word "Brain" (later chord changes and "pulse" of the music bear out this choice, which fits nicely into an 8 measure interlude).

The pings actually occur on beats:

1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 |

Don't fall into the trap of counting the first ping as "one" and the second ping as "six" - if you continue counting the rest of them you'll see that it's every 5 (unless you double-count each ping as "one" and "six"), In other words, start counting one on each ping, count to 5, and the next ping will be on the next "1".

And, yes, I did double-check before posting.

You can disagree if you want, and frankly it's a moot point that I shouldn't have made in the first place.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Man, no wonder there's so many different opinions about things on this forum. We don't even all hear the same counts. How could we ever possible agree on a drawbar setting? ;-)

We can't even agree on whether or not Pink Floyd is (was) a good band. Personally I can't stand them and it was like subjecting myself to fingernails across a chalkboard listening to this track.

I heard it on six, five, and four before turning it off so as not to lose my mind. :freak:

It is every 5 beats, my memory failed me. It had been a while since I checked it.

No cause for debate. Sven, thanks for coming to my defense but I was wrong.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Hey you,

counting little bleeps

like obsessive little sheep

can you help me?

Hey you,

creating keyboard zones

to ensure the proper tones

can you help me?

Hey you,

you don't even know Floyd at alllllll

If your synth weighs too much,

your X-stand will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall...

:laugh:

Hey you,

counting little bleeps

can you help me?

Hey you,

creating keyboard zones

can you help me?

Hey you,

your X-stand will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall... will fall...

Now THAT is funny.

I didn't mean to start a whole debate - I was reading about zones and such, and when Ian mentioned the "pings" I said to myself: "There are PINGS in there? How did I forget that?" and went to listen.

Then I started counting.. and...

Hey you,

counting little bleeps

can you help me?

Hey you,

creating keyboard zones

can you help me?

Hey you,

:thu:

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Damn. :blush:

Teech, my apologies... I only listed as far as the 2nd ping myself, as I was running out the door, and took Ian's word for it (as I stated, why question the guy in the Floyd trib?).

Anyway, in terms of counting, it's notated in the book in 4/4 time, 2 bars of each guitar 8th-note tacet (starting on Em with the word "brain"); therefore we're all counting in half-time compared to the score, and it's every 10 beats... :P:D).

So... I hereby apologize, rescind my previous statement, and will say "I wish I'd Google'd it before I posted" for the folks out there waiting for just such a moment to occur. :thu::wave:

Oh, and :thu: :thu: :thu: to Jeff for his lyrics. :D

Hey you,

counting little bleeps

can you help me?

Hey you,

creating keyboard zones

can you help me?

Hey you,

ROLFMAO :laugh::laugh:

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

...and took Ian's word for it (as I stated, why question the guy in the Floyd trib?).

Let that be a lesson to all of you.

When you play with 10 different bands you should always make charts. I usually do, but being a Floyd head since I was 12 and the nature of the Floyd's music not being harmonically complex, I took it for granted that I could play all the parts on auto-pilot.

We've only had 2 gigs this year and the last one was back in April. I thought I remembered those pings being every 6 beats, but clearly they're every 5 beats. Time to do a full review of the repertoire before our next gig.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Ian: I have to apologize. If I hadn't said anything it wouldn't have made one whit of difference. Perhaps next show when you got to the "ping" part some stoner in the back might have shaken his head, but really...

Jeff: I'm still laughing about the obsessive little sheep line.

"ensure the proper tones" - brilliant and funny all at the same time.

That should be in the "Hall of Fame" thread.

Ian: I have to apologize. If I hadn't said anything it wouldn't have made one whit of difference. Perhaps next show when you got to the "ping" part some stoner in the back might have shaken his head, but really...

Dude, don't apologize. You made me realize that memory can often fail you. I ould have easily continued playing those pings the wrong way forever.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Archived