Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rackmount an old keyboard?

hardbop200

I was recently gifted a Korg M1 which works great, but the keyboard (actual key assembly) had many problems. Due to a very unfortunate accident, the keys is a lost cause. But! The rest of the keyboard (sound processing, etc.) works just fine. Which leads me to my question...

Have any of you ever taken the guts of an old keyboard and put it in a rackmount case? I think it would be really nice to have access to those sounds from my computer, and this would do it. Also, it would be a fun hacking exercise! The only major problems that come to mind are:

• Ribbon cables not being long enough to accommodate the new layout, and
  • Finding a way to get the LCD display integrated into the case.

There might be other issues that I'm not aware of - shielding, perhaps? Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Josh

Josh

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been done quite a bit...there are two companies that pop up on Matrixsynth all the time that do this type of conversion. I think your are correct...the Ribbon Cables could be an issue. I'd be less worried about the LCD...you could have a panel machined for little money.

"For instance" is not proof.

I was recently gifted a Korg M1 which works great, but the keyboard (actual key assembly) had many problems. Due to a very unfortunate accident, the keys is a lost cause. But! The rest of the keyboard (sound processing, etc.) works just fine. Which leads me to my question...

Have any of you ever taken the guts of an old keyboard and put it in a rackmount case? I think it would be really nice to have access to those sounds from my computer, and this would do it. Also, it would be a fun hacking exercise! The only major problems that come to mind are:

• Ribbon cables not being long enough to accommodate the new layout, and
  • Finding a way to get the LCD display integrated into the case.

There might be other issues that I'm not aware of - shielding, perhaps? Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Josh

Forgive what might sound like a harsh response, but my experience has taught me that if someone has to ask before embarking on such a venture, they probably aren't equipped to accomplish the task. DIY stuff like this is exactly that... DIY. The first step would have been to have taken your M1 apart already and see exactly what you're up against, and solve all the easy challenges before asking for help.

That's just my personal experience talking, though. YMMV.

Frankly, if you want M1 sounds in your computer, just get the Korg Legacy Collection VST, which gives you a perfect M1 simulation, as well as the Wavestation to boot.

Just my $0.02.

Forgive what might sound like a harsh response, but my experience has taught me that if someone has to ask before embarking on such a venture, they probably aren't equipped to accomplish the task. DIY stuff like this is exactly that... DIY. The first step would have been to have taken your M1 apart already and see exactly what you're up against, and solve all the easy challenges before asking for help.

That's just my personal experience talking, though. YMMV.

Frankly, if you want M1 sounds in your computer, just get the Korg Legacy Collection VST, which gives you a perfect M1 simulation, as well as the Wavestation to boot.

Just my $0.02.

And once you have followed Sven's advice.....you can go out and do this:

:laugh:

M1 modules can be found for cheap, practically free.

Korg has released a software M1, which is also cheap.

But..if you still wanna proceed (just for fun, as an interesting DIY project) - take it apart and measure the PCB's.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Your point is excellent and your advice is heeded - certainly people with EE degrees would know all of the answers to these questions and be prepared to deal with the issues that would come up.

For me, this would be a hobby exercise, something interesting/fun/challenging. Most likely nothing will come of it, but it could keep me busy over the summer.

Thanks for the reply, Sven! :wave:

Josh

Josh

It's been done quite a bit...there are two companies that pop up on Matrixsynth all the time that do this type of conversion. I think your are correct...the Ribbon Cables could be an issue. I'd be less worried about the LCD...you could have a panel machined for little money.

I tried several different search approaches - wording, and word combinations - but couldn't find a reference, on Matrixsynth, to any conversion companies. Also tried the same thing on Google, as I - like many others here - live in terror of being [font:Impact]Svenimated[/font] :eek::D . No luck on Google, either.

So.... What the magic words to use in searching for synth to module conversion companies ? ; or better yet, does anyone here know the names of these companies ? I've been toying with undertaking a rather bombastic rack mount project; something I would definitely not try at home....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived