Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things ain't what they used to be...

zephonic

...I hear that a lot nowadays. For perspective, I thought I'd link this vid. Seems like things haven't been what they used to be for a very long time!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fJu-byjtRY

Johnny Hodges, one of the grooviest altoplayers ever.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I remember trying to be a "Guitar God" back in the 70's. I then saw Django Rheinhardt playing with 2 fingers in an old Abbot and Costello movie. Almost made me quit music in disgrace!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Playing with restrained elegance does seem to be mostly a thing of the past, which is a little sad. The other thing that impressed me was the bags under his eyes. From what I've read and heard, those big bands toured pretty hard.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Looking forward to hearing it - I can't listen to music videos at work. I do enjoy Johnny Hodges' playing, what I've heard of it.

Re: hard touring - my dad gave me a book called "My Life in Jazz" once; I forget the name of the author, but he was from the jazz era, and played in big bands when they were the popular music of the country. He gives a VERY graphic description of touring in a big band. Anyone interested can PM me and I'll try and track it down.

Re: restrained elegance. What does that mean?? (LOL)

Thanks for that.

"Restrained elegance" is a great way to describe that Adan. :thu:

It's rare nowadays to hear a sax player not always trying to scream and blow his lungs out. The softness in his tone is truly beautiful.

Here's another great example of restrained elegance on the exact same tune:

[video:youtube]

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Thanks, guys, for posting both those videos. Hadn't heard Duke Ellington and his orchestra, or Keith Jarrett, in an age. Jarrett's tone is beautiful, and Duke's players are likewise. Great stuff!

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Thanks, guys, for posting both those videos. Hadn't heard Duke Ellington and his orchestra, or Keith Jarrett, in an age. Jarrett's tone is beautiful, and Duke's players are likewise. Great stuff!

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Archived