Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DSI Mopho Keyboard

Well, like Dave said: "you may think of this as a prophet 04".

It doesn't mean that it actually is.

Spec-wise it isn't.

The Tetra has a total of 8 osc and 8 sub osc. Two Tetra's would mean double the amount of osc than the prophet 08. And of course there's the feedback that's missing on the prophet 08.

So,

You may think of the Tetra as half a prophet 08, but: sorry. It isn't. It's actually more. What Dave said on the video is just for promotion. And if you reffer to him as the person who designed it - than go watch the specs as they appear on the designer's website.

It's just the facts.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, like Dave said: "you may think of this as a prophet 04".

It doesn't mean that it actually is.

Spec-wise it isn't.

The Tetra has a total of 8 osc and 8 sub osc. Two Tetra's would mean double the amount of osc than the prophet 08. And of course there's the feedback that's missing on the prophet 08.

So,

You may think of the Tetra as half a prophet 08, but: sorry. It isn't. It's actually more. What Dave said on the video is just for promotion. And if you reffer to him as the person who designed it - than go watch the specs as they appear on the designer's website.

It's just the facts.

No argument about the facts; but I wasn't discussing the full feature set of the Mopho, Tetra, or Prophet '08; I was answering Mark's question about whether or not you could Poly Chain the Mopho Keyboard to the Prophet '08.

But you go right on ignoring context, Z... whatever makes you feel good about your posts. :thu::wave:

I'm not ignoring the context.

You can polychain the Mopho to the prophet 08 - for more polyphony - but you would be giving up the features i mentioned.

So the fact that a Tetra isn't just half a prophet 08 is relevant to the discussion.

Maybe you're only interested in the polyphony issue, but there is more to it.

Another difference, btw, is that the Tetra has combo mode which enables it to function as four mono synths (or any other combination using the four voices) which means that it has four individual sequencers, 4x16 steps each - while the prophet 08 has only two.

I think Oyarsa summed it up well. This should help people make informed decisions about which combinations of DSI keyboards and modules are best for their needs.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Looks like an incredibly cool little machine! However, it seems this particular hunk of cheese will set you back around $800. Unfortunatley, my "gear money" is allocated elsewhere at the moment. :(
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Is that list price or MSRP? I was expecting this to come in closer to $600 street price, just in terms of overall product tiering, but I haven't recently compared all the prices of the full line-up or of the competition.

I only had a few minor quibbles with the tabletop module, and this keyboard edition addresses all of them. I can easily see adding this to my collection at some point, but as a lower priority than, say, an Oberheim Two-Voice.

When I say I had a few quibbles, it had to do with the usability and ergonomics of the features that are unique to Mopho vs. the P'08. The Tetr4 has the same limitations due to form factor, connectivity, and front panel, of course, but it's good bang-for-buck like all DSI instruments.

For those interested in Polychain, don't forget that at some point, we might still see a drum machine with four-voice P'08 derived synthesis in it. I forget the most recent status of that product, other than that the cooperative aspect of Roger Linn and Dave Smith being able to coordinate their schedules was becoming difficult. I think I remember them deciding to simply do their own release schedules of their unique versions as they saw fit. But maybe they were canceled/deferred altogether?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

According to Dave's website: "It is available now with an MSRP of $879.00 and an MAP of $799.00."

That's not to say it's not worth it...

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Although it is an unusual key range choice. Actually a pretty usable range for bass lines, just an "unexpected" range. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also wondering about how the P08 desktop and the Mopho work together in terms of patch memory.

When you connect a mono evolver to a poly evolver (or any other evolver combination), you have to make sure the same sounds are on both synths.

Back to the Mopho\P08 polychain - apart from the fact the Mopho\Tetra have feedback and sub osc - there is also a difference in the patch memory.

The Mopho has twice as much as the prophet 08.

So, what happens when you get to banks C and D? :confused:

something VERY easily removable!

(shuffles off muttering about "infidel organ players.")

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The Tetra itself would be a nice sound module to connect to an existing KB controller or a synth that could stand some improvement in its sound or replacing it all together. Or by using a volume pedal, a synth that isn't as versatile as the Tetra could use both. The combo of the Morpho and Tetra is something that could be bought individually as us poor/cheap people could work on, if I were so inclined.

At $799.00 each, both the Tetra and the Morpho are great values, not too shabby!

Gotta love Dave Smith. :thu:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 11 years later...